2017 Cyclone 3800 Hydraulic Hose Rupture - Level Up

pjones1969

I had a hose rupture on the front DS jack

We are set up in rural Oklahoma on some friends land, it’s been too wet to leave so we have been coming to the trailer every weekend, the landing gear (all 6) have been extended since mid-November when we first set up, we retract the slides when we leave and extend them again when we come back, when we arrived yesterday, I extended the slides and then I noticed a puddle of fluid on the jack foot, found a ruptured hydraulic line in the propane bay above it, I’m not sure if this hose was ruptured before I extended the slides. None of the jacks have retracted and I haven’t tried to retract the slides yet, which leads me to the questions below.

Are the slides and landing gear on separate “systems”, meaning if I operate the slides does it effect the landing gear hydraulics?

What would be the proper method to replace this one hose?

Does the system need to be purged (bled) to get air out after replacing?

Anyway to isolate this one jack?

danemayer

Everything hydraulic shares the hydraulic pump and tank. The front landing gear share one control valve that allows fluid to move in either direction to extend or retract the landing gear. The middle and rear jacks on the door side share a 2nd valve and the ones on the off-door-side share a 3rd valve. With the slides, each switch (1 or more) controls a valve.

If you use the part of the system that employs the ruptured hose, you'll lose hydraulic fluid, and depending on how big the leak is, you may or may not be able to successfully complete that operation.

Since you haven't been operating the levelup system, and have been using the slides, the leak is probably on the hose operating one of the slides.

I haven't changed a hose myself, but from past posts, I think you can probably change a hose yourself, with minimal fluid leakage, assuming you can get to both ends without difficulty.

wdk450

You know, thinking about hydraulic problems, and thinking that most campgrounds are in rural areas, I wonder if a mobile farm equipment (tractor) repair service might be fairly common, and maybe they could crimp a new end on the leaking hose, or somehow otherwise repair the hose at your rig. You might ask the campground owner or at the nearest farm.

Lippert uses ATF - Mercon 3 or Dextron 5 types - for their hydraulic fluid.

Buster537

Had a hose to blow. As Bill said, I removed the hose took it to a tractor dealer service center. They made up a new hose. When I installed it I filled the hose,as best I could, with fluid. Operated the system a few times and rechecked the fluid. Would be willing to bet it was one of the orange hoses.:) Good luck

pjones1969

Thank you for the replies,

I can see the hose that ruptured, it is on the DS front jack, it’s only about 3 foot long and goes through the wall in the propane bay to the manifold on the other side, really easy to get to.