Insulated Window Covers!

Hogladyrider

We live full time in our 3611JS Cyclone. We did not opt for dual pane windows. This winter I took on the project of making insulated window covers for all our windows and I am very pleased with the final product.

Many people cut and use Reflectix in their windows. I wanted to take it to the next level. I purchased insulated quilted ironing board cover at Joann's using 50% off coupons. We cut out the Reflectix to each window frame size, then used spray adhesive (3M) to attached the Reflectix to the fabric. After letting this dry for 24 hours I then stitched quilt binding all around the edges. The finished product slides right into the window frames and the curtains pull down over it.

Will help with warmth in the winter and cool in the summer and when we go to Alaska will provide darkness for sleeping when it is light outside at 11 pm!

Total cost for all materials just around $200, well worth it for us!

Sorry I can't seem to figure out how to rotate the pics!

Susan

IMG_20190104_131354756_HDR.jpgIMG_20190104_131425497.jpgIMG_20181231_163610958.jpg

Kimmh012

Wow, very nice...
How did you get them to stay on the windows themselves, without the blinds holding them on?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hogladyrider

The Reflectix alone would not stay in the window frame on its own, but when you add the quilted fabric and then the added quilt binding around the edge it creates just enough thickness to stay inside the window frame on its on.

When we were brainstorming this project we figured we would need a way to attach them to stay in the window and we weren't sure what we would use. Once I got a few done and we realized they fit in snug on their own that was just icing on the cake for our project.

We have already had some 80 degree days here in Silver Springs, FL this winter and when we pulled one of the window covers out to feel the Reflectix we were amazed at how hot it was to the touch yet the fabric inside in window was cool to the touch.

Susan

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Those will be great in AK and to help keep the rig warm if it’s cold outside.
IMO, I’d be watchful trapping all that heat between the glass and reflectex. As you mentioned “surprised how hot” it was. That heat can damage rubber/plastic parts ie: gaskets, wicker strips.
Next time you remove one that’s trapped the sun’s heat, CAREFULLY, touch the metal window frame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hogladyrider

Those will be great in AK and to help keep the rig warm if it’s cold outside.
IMO, I’d be watchful trapping all that heat between the glass and reflectex. As you mentioned “surprised how hot” it was. That heat can damage rubber/plastic parts ie: gaskets, wicker strips.
Next time you remove one that’s trapped the sun’s heat, CAREFULLY, touch the metal window frame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Point well taken, we will definitely take precautions. We treat our home on wheels like our kid and we take really good care of here after we've gotten her just the way we like her!

We have spent the past two summers workamping in Custer, SD and let me tell you in April & May we had snow 6 times and it gets cold! Plus here in Florida in the winter it can be very damp and humid at times. I believe these will help substantially.

Susan

Hogladyrider

I have checked all windows and gaskets on a regular basis and so far all is 100%.

We are really pleased with the final product. We have had some pretty chilly temps here in Silver Springs, FL this winter and these have helped tremendously when running the furnace and even when not running the furnace.

We are opting to leave them in the windows for now as they also help when we need to run the AC briefly in the afternoons.

The LARGE windows in the garage, Gary was able to adhere some snaps that hold these insulated covers in place.

We will be leaving Florida the first part of April heading back out to Custer SD for the summer then onto Arizona for the winter. Very happy with our insulated window covers and when not being used they will store flat up on the happy jacks in the garage.

Susan