Anode Rod Socket Size....anyone???

Campdmg

We need to change our Anode Rod, but forgot to measure it today when we were out at our rig...which is seasonal, and kept at the campground fulltime. We winterized today, but could not get the anode rod loose due to no socket to fit it, and the inability to get a good angle on it to use pliars. It's also on there pretty darn tight!

So.....now we're not at our rig, and we forgot to measure. Does anyone know the size socket will fit the rod? Thanks

Michael Guest
Windsor, CT
2009 Big Horm 3670RL
campdmg@comcast.net

jbeletti

1-1/16" socket. Be sure to use a 1/2" drive socket, an extension (6" to 12") and a long handled socket wrench or better yet, a breaker bar if you have one.

Use a two turns of Teflon tape on the new anode rod. I usually leave mine out for the winter, then install the new one in the spring. Not sure why.

Jim

PS: Check out an article I put on the FAQ section of the new Heartland RVs site about changing your anode rod. Here's the FAQ link, then scroll through the items and click on "Water Heater - What is the anode rod and when/how do I replace it?"

TXBobcat

Fulltime
One other thing you will need to do. When you get the old rod out, you will need to flush the tank out to get the particles that were part of the anode. I think Camping World has a device that you insert into the anode opening to back flush it out..

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Michael, You may also need a breaker bar or cheater for your ratchet. Don't even consider channel locks or pliers. You can make a tool to clean out the calcium deposits and debris in the tank with 1/4" soft copper tubing about 12" long and bent down at the tip and an adapter from compression fitting to 3/4" female garden hose. Insert the bent tip, pointing down, into the hot water tank all the way and turn on the hose. Slowly draw the tube out of the tank and the debris will flow out with it. Repeat several times as needed.