Generator to run both a/c's

mrcllusb

I'm looking at purchasing the 3670RL with both a/c's and generator prep.What size generator would i need to run both a/c's since my wife and i will have family stay in our 5'ver with us?

Forrest Fetherolf

A 5500LP Onan generator or equivalent will run 2 A/C's and other electrical items at the same time. I have this gen setup in a 3600RL with 2 A/Cs

Forrest

jbeletti

Same here as Forrest and Kristy - Cummins/Onan Marquis Gold 5500 LP. This is what Heartland installs if you order the Gen Prep and Gen options.

Jim

rvqg5500lpmed.jpg

mrcllusb

May i ask why you prefer to run LP over Gas?Wouldn't running the frig,hw heater and generator kill your two LP tanks?

jbeletti

May i ask why you prefer to run LP over Gas?Wouldn't running the frig,hw heater and generator kill your two LP tanks?

In my case, LP is the only factory installed option. I am not certain as to why. I do know that not having to add another fuel tank to the RV and not having yet another fuel type on-board is a benefit.

In my unit, I have two 40# LP tanks so I am carrying quite a bit. But LP or gasoline, either way, tanks are going to be killed when running the gen for long periods of time.

Jim

mrcllusb

I just thought that you would go thru less fuel if you where to use gas instead of LP.I've also been reading about running the dual honda generators.I'm just trying to keep things easier for my wife since she will be using the 5'ver while i'm deployed.In the event that power on the seasonal site where to go out.

jbeletti

From what I read, gasoline is more efficient than LP. And while twined Honda gennys are nice and easier to stow etc., they are not going to be as simple as holding the start button for the Onan. My wife starts ours easily. Hit it and let it rip.

You can get some OEM and 3rd party remote starting options for the portable generators but you will need to get them setup for use each time - prior to giving her the remote in case gen power is needed.

That said, if it was just me RVing alone, I'd opt for a large portable or maybe twinned Honda EU2000i gens. Weighs less, takes up less space and is easily used for other non-RVing events :)eek: blasphemy).

Jim

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
One disadvantage of gas generator is gas gets stale very quickly and clogs the carburetor. If it is used frequently gas works well but don't let it sit too long without exercising it.

Don

snuffy

One disadvantage of gas generator is gas gets stale very quickly and clogs the carburetor. If it is used frequently gas works well but don't let it sit too long without exercising it.

Don

Stabil gas stablizer works well to prevent the gas from clogging. I use it in all my gas powered equipment over the winter and it helps.