Corian counter top cracked

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
This morning DW discovered a crack in the Corian counter top. We have a BH 3600, and the crack runs about 6" in from the corner where the counter top curves to the right. Has anyone else run into this issue? DW has the idea that Corian has a lifetime warranty, but I cannot find any info on such a warranty. Whose lifetime and what is covered?

ct0218

My shop has fabricated a lot of Wilsonart and Corian tops for the residential market, and it is a 10 year warranty (from when first placed into service). Not sure of how Heartland handles the warranty though.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
ours cracked and we had it repaired and you cannot see where it was. It was repaired under warranty.

ct0218

Any fabricator for Corian gets repair training as part of the certification process and the repair should be invisible. The repaired crack is at least as strong as new solid surface material, and can be even stronger if it is a top-notch job. What will have to be determined before the repair is done is the cause of the crack. In general, heat is #1, and an uneven substrate or cabinet is #2. In an RV I would guess that flexing or twisting would be right in there also, with an uneven cabinet probably the primary problem here.

Uncle Rog

Hey Tom, our 3600's are 2 tail #'s apart, I hope they used a different chunk on ours!
Are you still using the roto-choks?

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
Hi, Rog. Yes, still using the Roto Choks. Showed them to 2 other campers this summer and they were impressed. They said they were ordering some, but I don't know if they followed up on the purchase.
Heartland wants to look at crack and determine the cause. Going to the factory 2nd week in November. Thanks for the information on the cracking.

navyAZ1

This morning DW discovered a crack in the Corian counter top. We have a BH 3600, and the crack runs about 6" in from the corner where the counter top curves to the right. Has anyone else run into this issue? DW has the idea that Corian has a lifetime warranty, but I cannot find any info on such a warranty. Whose lifetime and what is covered?

The solid surface tops in the Heartland products are not "Corian" it is another manufacturer in the Bahama's and for the life of me I can't remember their name. I would assume the top fabrication is done by someone local to the Heartland plant. The product itself is made of the same poly material as Corian and is the better of the two types of solid surface materials. Having said this if your unit is still under warranty then by all means go to your Heartland dealer for the repair, but if not any reputable solid surface fabricator could handle it for you.:D

jbeletti

Hi Navy,

Actually, we used to use Corian. So Tom's unit is likely Corian.

The product we use now is called Hanex. Seems to be pretty good stuff. It scratches like other solid surfaces do and can be buffed out as well.

Jim