Surge Guard Power Protection

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Just purchased and received the Surge Guard Model 34560 (hardwire) from Tweetys.com (great price) for installation in our 2900MK. I have an electrician to help with the installation. Does anyone else have one installed (or any other hardwired surge protector) in their Sundance? If so, where was it installed? Any ideas for best location for the installation?

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Here are some pics of what I did. Hope they help.

//heartlandowners.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=10776&g2_page=2

Mark

dreamer

We have an 09 2900mk sundance and i installed a hardwired progressive industries surge protector. We went on 3 month trip and it got used many times due to over and under voltages and reverse polarities.
I installed it on the wall behind the converter but in the storage compartment. [sort of between the sewer pipe and the carpeted wall] I slightly reduced the height of the wall panel first so it would go in and out easier. I then cut notches out of the top of the wall panel for the in and out wire. You can now put the wall panel back with the in and out wires sticking out and wire up your surge protector and screw it to the wall. The downside is you have to unscrew the surge protector to get to the back of the convertor or pull the convertor forward in the trailer if you have to work on it but that should not happen often. I hope this helps!None

Flying Dutchman

Thanks MRCOMER and DREAMER for your quick replies. I can see that I need to start removing some panels in the storage area for the installation of the surge guard. Your pictures are helpful MRCOMER, although I see that there is significant differences in layout between the Landmark and the Sundance.
I will try your approach DREAMER since we have the same Sundance model. However I would like to explore the possibility of mounting the surge guard inside the coat closet, which as I picture it in my mind as the same wall you used, but where you installed it inside the storage bay. This way the LED lights of the surge guard could be monitored from inside the 5ver, without having to go outside to look in the storage bay. With your experience, is this a possibility? Also, do you have any pictures of your surge guard install?

dreamer

Flying Dutchman It would be easy to mount it in the closet. You would just drill 2 holes straight down for the in and out wires. Yes it is important to see the display[some do not have a display] I purchased a remote display with mine and mounted it between the step and convertor about one foot from the floor. After using it and seeing how it was needed i wished i had mounted it higher up. I am of the bifocal age,ha ha. I am not sure a photo would show much since my surge is black on a black wall in a dark spot but if you want my wife to try a picture let me know and i will try and charm her since i am computer challenged. there is a slight humm to the protector but i think it should be alright in the closetNone

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I just added a couple of updated pictures of the somewhat completed installation.

I still need to add some end caps for protection.

Mark

Flying Dutchman

Thanks for the pictures mrcomer. That is a very neat install.
I also appreciate the offer for pictures from dreamer but I think I have the plan in mind to install the surge guard in the closet. The TRC Surge Guard I have purchased does not however offer a remote, so short of going outside to look in the storage area I see the closet install as my best option.
Thanks again for the quick and helpful responses. I will post some pictures when I have this little project (in the long list of honey-dews) completed. None

deron1

dreamer, I would love to see a photo or two of your install. I have the same coach and am currently considering the hard wired install like yours or the portable model form Progressive Industries.

Pulltab

I would like to interject just how important a surge guard is. I purchased one in 2004 and have been saved many times from open grounds to reversed polarity! Low voltage is usually the biggest violator. I purchased mine from Progressive Industries I have the 50 amp hard wired unit and have moved it from rv to rv. Here is a great reason to purchase this particual reason. As mine is almost 5 years old, I had a board go bad last summer and Tom Fanelli the president replaced the board at no cost and even paid the shipping to me. Well as luck would have it, I had a flooding problem recently and it soaked my EMS, the EMS did it's job and shut off the power to the rig but suffered a terminal death in doing so. I contacted Tom again and told him what happened and asked if it would be cheaper to repair or replace.

Here is the response I got back from him:

Send the unit back, we will fix it or replace it at no charge. Send it to: Progressive Industries 414-B Airport Blvd. Morrisville, NC 27560. Make sure you put your contact information inside and a return address.

Thomas E. Fanelli, President
Progressive Industries
414B Airport Boulevard
Morrisville, NC 27560
(919) 462-8280
fax: 919-462-6132
tfanelli@progressiveindustries.net

So I sent an email back and offered to send $150 to help cover the repairs as this was my fault. I didn't feel right about him paying to fix something I bought almost 5 years ago and well out of warranty and died because of me. I got this back this morning:

Please do not send any money. We have never charge any one and I don't want to start with you. Just tell others about our service and write maybe to your club. Thanks

Thomas E. Fanelli, President

So, once again I am telling people about this great product. This is an incredible service this man provides! Please consider them if you are going to buy one of these useful tools. If you think you don't need one, I hope you never have and issue but this is the best insurance I have ever bought. :D

jbeletti

Tab,

Thanks for sharing your story about your Progressive EMS. Sounds like great customer service and everyone likes to hear about those companies :) I think Jim Gratz experienced the same level of customer service with his Progressive EMS at Escapade 2008.

jimtoo

I just purchased a Progressive EMS and am using it for the first time right now.

Progressive sounds like another company I have heard of that likes to keep their customers happy. HEARTLAND RVS is doing a great job keeping happy customers.

A happy and satisfied customer is the best advertising you can buy.

Jim M

Pulltab

Jim, you are exactly right, Heartland goes out of their way to help their customers! Companies like this make me a lifelong member and supporter! :D