Chevy Kodiak C4500

mrcllusb

I was wondering if anyone drives a rig like this to tow their 5'ver?I'm looking into purchasing this style vehicle to tow the BIGHORN 3670RL.I'm in the military and i'm looking for a longterm tow vehicle that i won't have to upgrade in the event that we want to upgrade to a bigger 5'ver.

jbeletti

I know of a few:

- Forum member kakampers tows with one now
- Forum member Pulltab pulled a previous rig with one
- Forum member Delaine and Lindy pulled a previous rig with one

They'll all likely weigh in on here for you. Go ahead and post your questions for them now.

Jim

Delaine and Lindy

mrcllusb, We owned a Chevy Kodiak 4500 with the Chariot Vans upfitted conversion. We had the Aluminum Hauler bed, with the upgraded interior. Awesome rap around bucket front seats with a electric rear fold down seat. Link Air Ride suspension, Air ride bucket seats, had a dump valve on the dash to let the rear of the Truck (kneel) about 6" great for hooking and unhooking and if you wanted to stay hook to the Truck you could level front to rear. Also had a 98 gal in bed fuel tank, and when all tanks were full would hold 148 gals and a Trailer Saver air ride 5th wheel hitch. The Kodiak was the best riding Truck we have owned. If we hadn't quit full timing we might still have the Kodiak. The Chevy Kodiak as we had it upfitted was the ultimate Truck to tow a 5th wheel. We had a GVCW or 17,500 and towing weight of 26,000 lbs. You must keep in mind if your 5th wheel weight is 16,500 you will be over the 26,000 if you are equipped the same as our Kodiak was. The Chevy Kodiak 4500 when full of fuel and ready to tow we had a weight of 10,900 lbs. When we were towing our Cambridge we were at 27,600 lbs. The Kodiak handled the weight with no problem, and didn't have to use the 5th wheel brakes to stop the load. However we did have Disk Brakes, and I highly recomend the Disk Brake option unless you 5th wheel comes with the Disk Brakes as standard equipped as our Mobile Suites did. Good Luck with your choice. GBY....

P.S. Thank you for your service to our Country........

mrcllusb

Thank you for your reply Delaine and Lindy.My biggest reason is i see everyone using HD pickup trucks,but i have no need for a pickup bed as this trucks sole purpose will be to tow my Bighorn 3670RL and generator around wherever my wife and i would like to go and i want to do it in comfort.There is one right now on EbayMotors that is a 04 6.6L Duramax with 5 speed Allison transmission,air ride suspension,air ride seats,power everything including the rear seat.Heated seats with the hauler bed on the rear and the price right now is 19,000.00 with 180,000 miles on it.
P.S.-Thank you for your support.People whom support us like you do are why we continue to serve without hesitation.

mrcllusb

Worst case scenario the Kodiak won't be within my limits and i'll try to pickup something like a F450 crew cab with a hauler bed.I would really prefer the Kodiak as i know i can make money back on it haulin stuff for my fellow soldiers.