Considering Sundance 2900RK

Shopping for a 5th wheel, mid profile, light weight. The Sundance 2900rk looks like it is what we want but we are not close to a dealer here in Idaho. The closest dealer is about 300 miles away and I don't want to make a trip and be disappointed. I have researched all I can, looked at pictures, etc. I really like the the turning angles for a short bed pick up. I have a Ford crew cab short bed diesel. Would like opinions comparing the quality and fit and finish to the Cougar, Sandpiper, Wildcat, etc. All seem to be priced pretty close. Thanks, Terry

philjs

bigtbasser said:
Shopping for a 5th wheel, mid profile, light weight. The Sundance 2900rk looks like it is what we want but we are not close to a dealer here in Idaho. The closest dealer is about 300 miles away and I don't want to make a trip and be disappointed. I have researched all I can, looked at pictures, etc. I really like the the turning angles for a short bed pick up. I have a Ford crew cab short bed diesel. Would like opinions comparing the quality and fit and finish to the Cougar, Sandpiper, Wildcat, etc. All seem to be priced pretty close. Thanks, Terry
Hi Terry,

We too were looking for a 2900RK when we visited the dealer but they didn't have one in stock. This after looking at HR Savoy, Dutchmen Denali, Montana Mountaineer and too many others to list with the similar rear kitchen floor plan. The wife likes to cook and we were looking for something to eventually retire to and fulltime -- counter space for meal prep is absolutely necessary.

Much to our surprise, however, when we looked at the 2900MK that the dealer DID have in stock, we found that we prefered that floor plan to the RK -- it had similar counter space and more overall floor area because of a third slide. We didn't think we could afford a 3 slide model so had frankly not been looking. We were (and still are) pleasantly surprised that it fit our budget.

We were further enthralled with the exterior design and not having to spend an additional $3K on the Pull-Rite hitch for our SB Ford TD. Instead we opted for a B&W gooseneck with the Companion 5W hitch so that we have a truck that can be used for something other than towing (retirement is still 5 years away!). It was a pleasant haul home, ~75 miles, from the dealer and we look forward -- eagerly -- to our first trip...

BTW, in terms of MSRP price point (and fit and finish quality) the closest comparator for us was the Mountaineer but the dealer wouldn't meet our bottom line (and we're glad he didn't). We could've gotten a cheaper deal (but not by more than we saved on the hitch) on the Savoy or Denali but why go with 2 slides when you can have 3...yes, it's only 16 sq ft of difference but it's now "living area" rather than "kitchen equipment area."

Hope this helps.

salmon919

Hi Terry, our last 5th wheel was a 2003 cougar. I looked at new cougars including the new bedroom slide model. I also looked at the Sandpiper with bedroom slide and the Wildcat with the bedroom slide. The Sandpiper was close to the 2900mk but still did not compare. I did like the bed room where you did not need to step up in the sandpiper 305 Model. The finished product was not as nice and looked like all the other models RL models. No 12 gal hot water heater available and all options cost extra. Sundance had them included in the price. We also like the door being in the middle of the unit. We had the same in our cougar and it really saves the wear and tear on the carpet. Our Cougar was a rear Kitchen and we were always putting down throw rugs so we did no stain the carpet going in and out. You can also get the the refrig and Pantry when all slides are in for items you might need when traveling We pick our new Sundance 2900Mk tomorrow:D. Let me know if I can anwser any other questions for you on the 2900MK.