PDA

View Full Version : Portable electric heater

campfire7
01-16-2019, 09:35 PM
I have been shopping for a portable electoric heater for our RV , so far I have looked at the Broan and the " Brown Box" Both are 1500 Watts, but nether had good reviews, If anyone on here can give some advise it would help.

Thanks

Silverado23
01-16-2019, 10:38 PM
I have several lasko heaters that work well. Tall narrow tower style and also the short body type that oscillate depending on what your looking for. All have safety and convenience features. Digital temperature controls, tip over and overheat sensors to shutoff if overheating or blocked airflow all add to the safety.

I also installed a heat strip into one of my air conditioning units to replace my portable unit.

svictor
01-16-2019, 11:33 PM
We have run a small metal ceramic heater for years. I would suggest you be cautious running on high. We try to run our on the 750 watt setting, or off the washer & dryer circuit

Fox
01-17-2019, 12:30 AM
Consumer Reports recently reviewed portable electric heaters.

Additionally don't overlook your electric fire place heater (if installed); just don't ignore your total electric drawing amperage.

sengli
01-17-2019, 11:04 AM
We have two of them in our RV, again the biggest concern is that at 1500W the current draw is 12.5 amps. Make sure you find a suitable outlet for this current draw. Even the OEM fireplace in both our current landmark, and former big horn when used at 1500Watts made the attached cord very warm when used for any length of time.

We quite often use the heaters at the mid power level...750w

Gary521
01-17-2019, 11:19 AM
I like the heaters with the thermostat on them rather than low, medium or high settings. That way they do not run all the time. Perhaps the thermostats are not the most accurate but better than nothing. I coordinate with the thermostat setting on the fireplace.

NYSUPstater
01-17-2019, 12:24 PM
In our old coach ('06 Cedar Creek Silverback), we used 2 little ceramic heaters and they did a nice job in keeping the coach warm. Course plugged 1 into reg wall outlet and the other into the micro's so we could run at same time. Don't recall their wattage tho at the moment. Now w/ the BC, we use the fireplaces but for some reason we cannot run both at same time, BUT we can run both A/C's at same time......go figure. Haven't fired up the RV's furnace at all since we've had it.

mlpeloquin
01-17-2019, 12:53 PM
We use a short tower heater that oscillates and has a digital temperature setting. Works well and we set it on the fire place. We do use the fire place, but not at night. Saved a lot of propane over time.

SNOKING
01-17-2019, 02:34 PM
All 1500W heaters will provide the same amount of BTU's of heat. Make sure it has a tip over switch. Having a thermostat controlled unit is good. However most like that will not restart by themselves if power is disrupted. Chris

campfire7
01-17-2019, 10:07 PM
Living here in Florida we don't have the need for a lot of heat, Not that it doesn't get cold here, because it does, Just not as often as other parts of the country. After doing research on line and reading what you guys said, I feel that the small ceramic heaters are not as safe as I would comfortable with YET. so I think , For now, We will continue to do as we have been and that is, we use one of those portable radiator space heaters, they are a bit larger than the small box heaters and it is slow to warm a room, but once the room is comfortable it will sustain the heat. So we may turn a burner or two on stove on, and after about 10-15 min. we are good and the radiator will keep the heat up. The radiator heater is very quiet and tuning down to the lower setting, I feel comfortable with leaving it on all night while we sleep.

Thank you all for your input and help.

Fox
01-17-2019, 11:15 PM
While using the stove top burners (for heating) will work, it's using propane.

TravelTiger
01-17-2019, 11:29 PM
We use two Vornado heaters, which use a thermostat and variable fan to keep the temperature consistent and circulate the heat well.

Ours are similar to this one:
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/vornado-reg-auto-whole-room-vortex-heater/1044489496?skuId=44489496&&mrkgcl=609&mrkgadid=3265969491&enginename=google&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_outdoorutility_local&product_id=44489496&adtype=pla&product_channel=local&adpos=1o4&creative=232742511253&device=m&matchtype=&network=s&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj-rtiL_23wIVheDICh2kUQ24EAYYBCABEgIhCPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Todster
01-18-2019, 12:41 AM
We picked up an amazon oscillating dual heat level heater. Adjustable thermostat and tip sensor. Works pretty good for $35. Just sayin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JohnDar
01-18-2019, 02:00 PM
I have several lasko heaters that work well. Tall narrow tower style and also the short body type that oscillate depending on what your looking for. All have safety and convenience features. Digital temperature controls, tip over and overheat sensors to shutoff if overheating or blocked airflow all add to the safety.

I also installed a heat strip into one of my air conditioning units to replace my portable unit.

We use one of those in the rear living room to supplement the furnace on cooler nights at either end of our season. The bedroom and bath are nice and toasty using the furnace, which is directly below.

During the winter, the Lasko tower resides in my den which faces the prevailing winds and is at the far end of a furnace duct run. Takes the chill out after the sun goes down.

Using a stove or oven for supplemental heating is something I would refrain from.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For20hunter
01-18-2019, 02:11 PM
We use this Lasko Elite Ceramic Heater (https://www.costco.com/Lasko-ELITE-Collection-Ceramic-Tower-Heater-with-Remote-Control.product.100476133.html) in the upstairs bathroom of our Landmark and it works great! We set it to the auto eco mode and set the temp to 68 degrees and it stays on 24/7 in the winter months. Our electric bill went up an average of $12.00 per month when we started using this last year.

Rod

jeffdee
01-21-2019, 12:22 PM
I recommend oil filled radiant heaters. They are the most efficient electric heater. If you get a small 4 inch fan to blow through the heater it can really keep a room comfortable on a low setting.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Costway-1500W-Electric-Oil-Filled-Radiator-Space-Heater-5-Fin-Thermostat-Room-Radiant/154841377

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Alera-4-Mini-Personal-Cooling-Fan-Steel-Black/104585681