PDA

View Full Version : Fulltimers - Where are you wintering for the 2008/2009 season?

jbeletti
10-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Calling all full-timers....

Thought we'd throw up a thread here asking you to Post Reply as to what city and state/prov you are wintering in this season as well as the name of the campground.

Perhaps some of your fellow Heartlanders who have to hunker down in the cold up north may want to make a winter visit to you in the sun :)

In fact, I know a lot of you will be in Texas. I would love to take a trip down to Mission, TX, see my RV pals and work my way back north.

And if everyone knows where everyone else will be, maybe y'all can have a few get togethers. I've seen a few of them being planned already.

Jim
(wintering in Chicago :eek: brrrrr....)

TRAVELER07
10-20-2008, 03:57 PM
The Dear Wife and I will spend the winter workcamping at the Petrifide Forest National Park in Az, from Dec1-2008 to March -31-2009. Than April -15-2009 to July-15-2009 at Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument in N.Mexico.If any one is in the area stop in for a coffee. TRAVELER07

JIMnMICK
10-20-2008, 08:46 PM
Mickey and i will be wintering in Plant City FL. I work with a good friend at his strawberry farm till april we have not taken a job yet for next summer.We will be back in Fl. nov.8th

cdbMidland
10-20-2008, 09:15 PM
Saundra and I will be at Tiki Village in Lakeland FL about 1/1 through 3/31.

However, maybe I shouldn't replied as we are not full-timers.

Ray LeTourneau
10-20-2008, 09:26 PM
Lin & I just got set up at Colonia del Rey RV Park in Corpus Christi, TX. 86 degrees and sunny on arrival. Isn't life grand?

Tom of Ypsi
10-20-2008, 09:37 PM
Judy and I will be in the Rio Grande Valley, Donna, Tx at Casa Del Sol Park starting Nov 1 until March or April. We are still at Rayford Crossing, Spring, Tx parked amongst a Prevost MH Rally. Hope to get pic's tomorrow of all these wanna be Heartland owners.

DNJsadventure
10-20-2008, 10:36 PM
We're living just north of Denver for the winter. Just moved to town from Michigan and we're living in the Bighorn while we save money for a house and to figure out where in the city we really want to be.

dennylm
10-20-2008, 10:37 PM
Do you remember the first time you "drove off into the sunset" to begin full-timing? DW and I will FINALLY be heading out next week to "become gypsies"! We're more excited than when we first picked up our 3055 a year ago!

We will be in Albuquerque for Thanksgiving, Jacksonville, FL for Christmas and then will be heading into southern FL, with no specific plans, for the really cold months. Only desires at this time are to see the shuttle lift off.

I'm retired military so we usually look for military installations with RV parks before anything else.

Any suggestions as to where to try to camp, where NOT to camp, over crowding, length of stay max's, etc?

I love this forum! What did we do before the internet??????

dennylm

VietvetUSMC
10-20-2008, 10:41 PM
Linda and I just returned from Elkhart, Indiana having some warranty work done. On the 30th of October we leave for Guntersville Alabama for the month of November, to visit my sister and Brother-in-law in Huntsville.
If all goes well we will be just south of Lake Wales Florida for the winter.

Jimmyt5
10-21-2008, 12:13 AM
We will be at MacDill AFB in Tampa from Dec 1-April1..........:D

Delaine and Lindy
10-21-2008, 07:25 AM
Jim as you know we had to quit full timing due to the Medical issues with Delaine's Mom. And now her Dad is in the Hospital, and he has a heart valve issue. We have reservations for Gulf Shores from 1 Nov thru Dec and then on down to the Tampa Fla area for Jan thru Feb. We still consider ourselves as some timers but our plans will have some changes for our family comes first. We have friends that are Montana owners that are going to be at our home base (RV site) for the Winter and they will be here on the 28th of Oct. We have donated our Rv site to them for the winter. It help us and it will help them. GBY....

jbeletti
10-21-2008, 08:05 AM
Lindy,

Yes, I recall. I hope the doctors can resolve Delaine's Dad's heart issue. Travel safe and who knows - now that Heartlanders know where you will be, you may have an opportunity for a friendly visit in down south this winter.

Jim

geeksrus
10-21-2008, 08:54 AM
We will be at Bentsen Palms Village in Mission TX for 3 months starting December 1st.

Leaving Alberta on November 5th or so... plan to spent some time in northern NM on the way to TX, if weather cooperates... if not, will spend some time in the TX Hill Country or the TX Coast before heading to Mission.

At the beginning of March we'll start heading home thru AZ & maybe up the West Coast... plan to be back in Sundre by April 15th (have to do the tax thing).

That's the plan for now, but who knows!

Eh!

SmokeyBare
10-21-2008, 08:57 AM
We're parked presently in Norcross Georgia... Plans are to leave around the first of January for Spring Hill Florida to a place called Big Oaks RV Park.

Here's the link:
http://www.bigoakspark.com/

Our plans are to be there till the first of April... then work our way north...

Planning to take in the Escapee's 2009 Escapade Rally at Sedalia Missouri, then traveling to Goshen Indiana for Heartland's 2009 North American Rally.

Looks like a fun Spring.... looking forward to visiting many of our extended Heartland family members !!

dennylm
10-21-2008, 10:32 AM
Jimmyt5,

Will they let you make reservations at MacDill this far in advance? And no 14-15 day stay limit?

dennylm

silverfox
10-21-2008, 10:34 AM
Looks like family will keep us in the San Jose area until next spring. Originally we had planned to go to Yuma area. Then next spring we will head to Colorado for the birth of our 5th grandchild.

jpmorgan37
10-21-2008, 12:19 PM
For all you folks that are enjoying the heat and humidity of the southern climes, think of us in the Pacific Northwest enduring the winter storms and "occasional" sunshine. Sue and I will be spending the winter in Westport, Washington here (www.americansunsetrv.com). We wish you all a wonderful winter.

John & Sue

fljlcw
10-21-2008, 02:25 PM
dw and i will still be in roswell nm until at least april at trailer village rv stop in for A visit if anyone is passing through

cjbearden
10-21-2008, 06:51 PM
J.D. and I are at Ransom Road RV Resort in Aransas Pass, TX. Plan to be here until Jan. 31 heading to Braunig Lake RV Park, San Antonio, TX for Feb. and March. First part of April, we are heading over to see Ken at RV EZSteps near Manvel, TX. After he completes some adjustments on our steps, we will head to Bossier City, LA for a few days visit with the grandkids. Plans then are to head eastward to SC, up to NC, over to KY and into IN for the big rally in Goshen. Of course, some travel will be dictated by the "tornado season" in these areas during the Spring! We have enjoyed Aransas Pass and getting to see Ray and Lin several times.

leftyf
10-21-2008, 08:05 PM
Still stuck in Norfolk, Va until March or April of next year. VA is doing some work on the RV...and I'm doing some work on the VA. The fitting on the new leg starts again Thursday. With PT starting whenever the prothestist says the leg and I are ready.

The Wantobees will be pulling out next week for a move to another part of their job up in Dahlgren. I'll miss them they've been a lot of company.

Winter is on it's way...but, it's amazing how much warmer it is in Norfolk as opposed to Fairfax. Sure wish I was in west Texas.

kakampers
10-21-2008, 09:12 PM
We're just got to our lot in Retama Village in Mission, TX on Sunday, right after the Houston Fall rally. Glad to be sitting still for a little while...think we'll be here until late April or early May...feels good to be "home"!

See you'all down the road...

J-W&E
10-21-2008, 10:42 PM
Jim and I are now heading south for the winter. We will spend the month of November in Fredericksburg TX, then on down to the Rio Grande Valley to Llano Grande in Mercedes for Dec, Jan and Mar. Then probably back up to Fredericksburg, TX for April.

Jimmyt5
10-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Jimmyt5,

Will they let you make reservations at MacDill this far in advance? And no 14-15 day stay limit?

dennylm

Sent a PM in your box

stevebotts
10-24-2008, 08:30 AM
We will spend our third winter at Pueblo El Mirage in El Mirage, AZ which is just west of Phoenix. A wonderful park with an 18 hole par 72 golf course in the resort. Love the place. Great weather too!!

spankyandbrandysniffer
10-25-2008, 09:43 AM
We spent Jan through April in Kerrville, Tx at the Guadalupe River RV Resort which is nice but costly. Then on to Lakehills, Tx (hill country) from May to June at the Medina Lake RV Resort which is nice but really really busy and you have to move to different spots all the time due to not so good management. Now we've been staying in Skyline Ranch RV park 1 1/2 miles outside of Bandera, Tx (beautiful little cowboy capital town) since July. We'll be heading out Nov 2 to Del Rio, Tx (plan on doing a lot of fishing at Lake Amistad close by) to stay the month at Holiday Trav-L park and then on to Rockport, Tx to stay Dec and Jan at the Big D RV Resort. We've not been to the Big D yet but it looks really nice and even has a salt water fishing lake and fishing pier which I hope DH will like. He's been itching to fish for quite some time but the river here has been quite low all summer.

Goldenwingers
10-25-2008, 05:34 PM
Sheri and Myself are at Van Horn KOA in Van Horn Texas where we will be for about six months. We have been here for one week and temps have been nice, today it is 80 degrees with full sun but only supposed to reach 59 degrees next Monday but rain is rare here and the cool temps will be nice for a change. It is not a destination park so most only stay overnight then continue on their trip. If anyone is in the area stop in and say hi, It's a nice place to spend the night with an on site cafe that serves pretty good food. We are located at exit 140 on I-10.

Don

BigBlue
10-25-2008, 07:52 PM
We're staying at Val Vista Village in Mesa, AZ. It'll be our 5th year there

jtcfishing
12-22-2008, 09:37 PM
We will be in Oak Grove MO. for awhile had to relocate for job with Ford motor.Loving our new Landmark we traded up for fulltiming. Staying at the KOA people here have really treated us good! IT SHURRR IS COLD HEREEE!!!

sharmulst
12-23-2008, 01:21 PM
We are at Ramona Canyons RV Park in Ramona, CA. It has been quite rainy for the past week and looks like it will stay cool with more rain this week.
We will be headed to Yuma and St. David the end of January. Even with it being on the cool side it is better than the northern part of the country. At least we don't have to shovel it.

cdbMidland
12-23-2008, 03:47 PM
Even with it being on the cool side it is better than the northern part of the country. At least we don't have to shovel it.

And shovel and shovel and shovel some more - just in one day -day in and day out.

Waiting for a break in the weather, then Florida, here we come.

plug2
12-23-2008, 06:08 PM
Rilla and i are in mequite nv. it is 80 miles east of vegas. we are in a 3650 rl. we are enjoying the life at deseret skies. it is a great place; swiming pool, wight room, game room, club room, and four billards tables. we have great places to gamble. the weather is colod now, but still better than northern utah where we left the sticks and bricks. there are four other heartland rvs, but we are the only big horn. so far so good down to 20degrees. hope it warms up. look us up space 90. ralph and rilla. just hanging out having fun.

chermanson
01-03-2009, 10:26 AM
We are volunteering at Collier-Seminole State park in Naples,Fl for
Dec, Jan, Feb. Then off to Seminole Canyon State park in Comstock
Texas for Mar & Apr.
Then off to Montana for the summer.

Ahhh...it's a tough life

cjbearden
01-03-2009, 02:14 PM
chermanson, interested in knowing where you might be going in Montana for the summer. If possible, we are thinking of heading that direction also.

Goldenwingers
01-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Sheri and I are also headed back to Montana this summer.
going to do another tour at Whitefish KOA where we were last summer, a great place to spent the summer.

seamo
01-03-2009, 04:29 PM
We are in Florida until March 18th. We are headed to the Tampa RV show then to Clermont for a month and the Keys for another month. Florida is nice and we are enjoying the East Coast.

alaska dodge
01-06-2009, 11:19 PM
Anchorage Alaska

Denis & Debby
01-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Hi All, Denis and I are wintering at a spectacular park in Arizona just out of Yuma 20 miles. We are on the Colorado river at Hidden Shores rv park this is our fourth winter here.

jcd8822
01-08-2009, 09:02 PM
We are in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas. We are about 10 minutes from Nueve Progresso, Mexico, where the Winter Texans eat, shop, drink, eat ship and drink. One can drive across the border or park in one of the large parking lots and walk across the bridge. (Great exercise to work off the food and beverage.) If one is not in to shopping, eating and drinking, you can lay out by the pool or do one of the other dozen things. These parks have it all. After June 1st a passport will be required to go across and return. The RV parks here in "the Valley" call all of the visitors "Winter Texans." We have been coming dowin here for about 20 years, before we started RVing. If you do not like 84 degree days in January then this is not the place for you. The Canadians love it here.

Joseph

jcd8822
01-08-2009, 09:11 PM
We are in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas at Encore's Paradise South RV Park in Mercedes. We are about 10 minutes from Nuevo Progresso, Mexico. Passports will be required after June 1, 2009 to re-enter the U.S. Lots of inexpensive shopping, eating and drinking across the border in Mexico. All of the parks down here have at least one swimming pool to get a good winter tan, and they all have lots of activities. They call the seasonal visitors "Winter Texans." There are dozens of parks, anything from the moderate priced to the expensive resort parks. Not many places in this country off you 84 degrees in January, but the Valley does.

Joseph

Ray LeTourneau
01-08-2009, 11:02 PM
We are in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas at Encore's Paradise South RV Park in Mercedes. We are about 10 minutes from Nuevo Progresso, Mexico. Passports will be required after June 1, 2009 to re-enter the U.S. Lots of inexpensive shopping, eating and drinking across the border in Mexico. All of the parks down here have at least one swimming pool to get a good winter tan, and they all have lots of activities. They call the seasonal visitors "Winter Texans." There are dozens of parks, anything from the moderate priced to the expensive resort parks. Not many places in this country off you 84 degrees in January, but the Valley does.

Joseph
Joseph, how are things at the border as far as safety goes? We've been hearing some "horror stories" of people being kidnapped, found in hotel rooms with their kidneys missing etc. I've heard Progressive is still the safest border town though. Stay tuned to the forum for a Heartland Luncheon in Mission coming up in Mid February. We plan on coming down for lunch and to restock the liquor cabinet. :D

plug2
01-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Rilla aand I are in mesquite NV. Desert Skies, pool, large plam room with kitchen attached, billards room 6 tables, work out room. hot tub, card game room. next to golf course. a very nice place. first time full timer. plug2 a great life.

todalake
01-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Ray, thanks for information about luncheon in February. We will be on SPI in February but staying in a condo. Can we still come? We plan on pulling trailer down next year when we can stay a couple of months. At the time we made the decision fuel was high and it made more sense to rent since we were only able to be there one month. Last year stayed in condo on the water with 2bed/3bath/3balconies for less than fuel cost of pulling the trailer down.

jbeletti
01-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Ray, thanks for information about luncheon in February. We will be on SPI in February but staying in a condo. Can we still come?...

You betcha! Luncheon will be open to all Heartland Owners that are in the area and can make it.

The date is set but the location is not. I need more input on locations that can handle a group.

Thanks,

Jim

2010augusta
01-15-2009, 12:39 AM
The Wife and I are spending the next couple of months in Brownwood TX, She is working at the local Hospital. and I and taking care of everything else.

htneighbors
01-27-2009, 11:32 AM
Wintering in Douglas, Wyoming - KOA CG...where, today (01/27/09) it was a mere 29 BELOW when I woke up for work! :eek:

sharmulst
01-27-2009, 01:32 PM
We are on our way to Yuma, AZ as I write this. It is 57 ABOVE as we pass by Alpine, CA at 10:30 AM. We have been to Douglas many times and love the area but only in the summer. Stay warm HT.