Max 5th wheel height

blackfin

I am considering purchasing a 2001 FL 70 air suspension truck and need to know what is the max height recommendation for the 5th wheel hitch that will cause no issues with my 3950. The top of the trucks frame rails are 36" + hitch height. Also with a air ride suspension truck would you recommend air ride 5th wheel or just add airborne hitch or a similiar model?

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
At 36" I'd bet the truck has 22.5 tires. The trucks frame height isn't an issue. FYI 19.5" tire size trucks frame height is 32-33" if you think you might need more room to play with.

5th wheel height is generally 48"-52" so you have room to play with the fifth wheel as well as the pin box to keep the trailer level. Low profile 5th wheels are also available.

Me I'd spend the money on an air ride suspension for the trailer before I put it into an air ride pin box.

blackfin

PMMJARRETT, thanks for the input -- I am going to change the wheels to 19.5 later in the conversion. The dealer just installed all new tires. Made offer on the truck and was accepted -- now have a winter project...

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
You're welcome. Changing the tire size now would be what I did.

Contact some local truck salvage yards, they usually sell used tires. Might be able to pull off an even up swap for a like new set of 19.5 tires and wheels if you have a size they can sell easily..... and especially if they think they can make more money off them.

Was just at a yard yesterday myself getting a 19' section of frame and crossmembers for my stretch and a nice 36" sleeper for my F800. Talked to him about two 245/70R19.5 steer tires and they didn't have any, said they had a ton of 225/70R19.5 which is what I want as they are a little over an inch shorter. I'm going back to pick my parts up in a few hours and have 4 like new rears so I'm going to see if they are interested in my tires even up as it's a size they sell fast;)

blackfin

I will check on the swap option, I have order the material for the hauler body hopefully I will have it completed in a few weeks. Freightliner finished sectioning the frame yesterday and change a few other items out. I am going to post picture when I get it home. I have all the initial pictures before the mods started.