Do y’all leave your fridge run even if your not camping or using it

Dmetcalf

We just purchased our new Cyclone 4007 and it has a residential fridge in it. Our first trip isn’t scheduled til mid March. Should I unplug it until we need it or just let it run ..?

jbeletti

If your residential refrigerator is a factory install, then it should be equipped with a dedicated inverter connected to 2 coach batteries. So long as your trucks charge line is passing current to the RV via the 7-wire cord, you should be able to run the refrigerator all day long, so long as the inverter is on and power the refer.

Rereading your post - I may have misunderstood. If your question is, can I leave the refrigerator powered on and running for weeks or months at a time while stored, the answer is, yes you can. We park our RV next to the house and plug it into a 50 amp circuit. We leave drinks and condiments in the refer and food in the freezer for weeks at a time in between trips. So it's up to you :)

Dmetcalf

If your residential refrigerator is a factory install, then it should be equipped with a dedicated inverter connected to 2 coach batteries. So long as your trucks charge line is passing current to the RV via the 7-wire cord, you should be able to run the refrigerator all day long, so long as the inverter is on and power the refer.

Rereading your post - I may have misunderstood. If your question is, can I leave the refrigerator powered on and running for weeks or months at a time while stored, the answer is, yes you can. We park our RV next to the house and plug it into a 50 amp circuit. We leave drinks and condiments in the refer and food in the freezer for weeks at a time in between trips. So it's up to you :)

I was reading the owners manual last night and there isn’t any off switch so I would have to unplug it to turn it off. On our old unit it had the shoreline power or propane option and an off switch available so we would open the doors after we got back from a trip and just turn it off. I guess it’s designed to just stay running so we might as well load it up with at least some drinks to take advantage of it running ..?

Matt750

I was reading the owners manual last night and there isn’t any off switch so I would have to unplug it to turn it off. On our old unit it had the shoreline power or propane option and an off switch available so we would open the doors after we got back from a trip and just turn it off. I guess it’s designed to just stay running so we might as well load it up with at least some drinks to take advantage of it running ..?

You could use the circuit breaker to turn the power off to the refrigerator.

jbeletti

Bear in mind that with the refer circuit breaker off, the refer can still be powered by the inverter. I would therefore suggest that you turn the DC power switch off the feeds the inverter. It's usually co-located with the inverter. Just follow the heavy gauge red wire that feed the inverter to find that rotating switch.

Also, consider downloading our user-written Residential Refrigerator User Guide. It can downloaded from this user guide menu.

esscobra

i am assuming you have th residential fridge?
where will you be storing it?
if at home or somewhere with shorepower -? is this place fairlyclose/easy to get to?

I don't full time however I do use at least 1x or more per month- we have a community storage lot with basic 110 power - I leave fridge on ad running-thats what thy were designed for-empty with inverter off- I used to keep all condiments and drinks in there - until we had bad storms and lightning strike which took out power and and left gate disabled for a few days so inverter killed batteries and spoiled stuff - so now if making a few trips close will leave stuff in and leave inverter and we have storms or power issues in area I go check unit now- cause is not good when you show up to leave for trip and batteries dead -

Chippendale

Where I live, our season is 12 months a year, and neither the one in my house or the one in the trailer is ever cut off. Because they are designed and built to run 24/7, my theory is that it might not be good for them to be turned on and off and have to cool down every time you want to use it. They weren't designed for that type of use.

david-steph2018

We start the season it stays on 24/7. Because we are hooked to shore power at the campground and is full of food. When we park it at home it is turned off. I turn the battery disconnect off to stop the drain on the batteries. First time we were just home for 3 days and didn't think about turning the batteries off, drained the batteries in that time frame.

pegmikef

Where I live, our season is 12 months a year, and neither the one in my house or the one in the trailer is ever cut off. Because they are designed and built to run 24/7, my theory is that it might not be good for them to be turned on and off and have to cool down every time you want to use it. They weren't designed for that type of use.

We do the same as George, especially since it is a residential appliance meant to be turned on and stay on. We also switch it to the inverter when on towing.

Dmetcalf

We do the same as George, especially since it is a residential appliance meant to be turned on and stay on. We also switch it to the inverter when on towing.

Thank you for that advice and it does make sense to go ahead and allow it to run. This is the first RV we have had that has the residential fridge in it so I wasn’t sure.