Fridge on the road

I did a search but could not find this question/answer.

What are your thoughts on using the fridge on propane while traveling?

jnbhobe

No thoughts about it! I just do it. Thats what its made for as far as I'm concerned. Happy Camping, Jon:):)

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Most people do it, we do it and then there are a few that don't. I know there are a few states, New York at least that used to have laws regarding traveling with LP tank valves open in tunnels. We always have the fridge on LP when traveling. If you're not going too far it won't hurt to leave it off. It will stay cold for quite a while.

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
I have done it from day one. Never had any problems. Don't think twice about doing it.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've never done it, mainly because of how we used our trailer (was stored and used 200 miles from me). The only precaution is to make sure it's not affected by the Dometic recall. The trailer we just traded in was a 2006 model, and required the modification. Only took a few minutes to do it last summer.

Jimmyt5

You have to turn your gas off around Hampton Roads tunnels,you have to stop and they check you..

geeksrus

We always turn the propane tanks off when we travel. Fridge is really sealed well & we have never had any major cooling/cold issues on a travel day of 8-10 hours.

Eh!

boatdoc

Never a problem getting a 10 hour day with the fridge off since we tried it a few years back. We did leave it on while in route but not any more. Try it, is all I can say!!!

SmokeyBare

As we travel these last 4 years... I've never seen the need to have the Fridge running as we drive down the road. This has been tossed about in the Forum before. Our propane is always off while we travel.

As one can expect... there is no clear cut answer for everyone. What one feels is a good idea... others feel it may be a safety issue. All I know... after driving several hours... often the Fridge will be off for 10 hours or so... when I open the freezer... the ice is still crunchy and not melted one bit.

I also can guess those who don't keep their Fridge filled well chilled items... or their Freezer filled with already frozen food... may find the temperature could climb higher than they wish as they travel. I know many people store the RV away from their home and those RVs are not always connected to power... and must bring the Fridge up to temp in a short time period... that alone may give them a feeling it could cool down very quickly as well.

So... it works for me to leave it off. I've not once worried over what might happen as I pull up to the fuel pumps... I've never once spoiled any food items in a Fridge that was left off on extended driving trips. Guess this makes me a "Happy Camper".

TXBobcat

Fulltime
This is one of those topics that cause heated discussions.

I turn my propane off when I travel. I did not use to turn it off until I went to a LOW conference in 2007. I took Mac McCoy's course and from that time I always travel with my propane tanks turned off. I have never had anything get hot in my refer and the beer is still cold when I arrive.

You also do not put locks on the propane door. I have seen those that have placed locks on the door.

If your really intrested you might check out these web sites:
http://www.macthefireguy.com/Home-old.htm
http://www.macthefireguy.com/34_fire_facts_that_can_save_your.htm

When in the Navy we had to take courses in putting out fires. You should see an RV Fire and if you do, make sure you are not down wind from the smoke.

JohnDar

...You should see an RV Fire and if you do, make sure you are not down wind from the smoke.[/quote]

Been there, done that (responded to one on the freeway). You are right. Fortunately, we got there in time to cool down the main propane tanks, but we didn't know about the 1-pounders stored inside. Pucker factor at 100.

wagenman

I have always travelled with mine on, but think I might reconsider my thoughts here... I thought that was standard for everybody to tow with their propane on..I am not full time rv'r (just a weekend warrior) so when I leave my house I want mine to get cold by the time I get to where I am going...

I guess I can not think of to many issues that may occure from towing with it on. Propane is heavier than air, and every rv I have seen has a open floor or at least a vent in the propane tank compartmant that would not let it build up in the compartmant...

If a rv is on fire even if the tanks are turned off they are going to heat up and vent eventually!!

But on the other hand if some states make you turn off your tanks prior to entering tunnels then maybe there is something that I am missing..

From now on maybe I will just turn my fridge on a day early and then turn it off for the trip.. I did not know they were so well insulated to stay cold for a 4-5 hour trip.. thats good to hear... AS LONG AS MY BEER IS COLD WHEN I GET TO MY DESTINATION...LOL

good topic, this is something that I have not ever even thought about...

Hart

We don't travel with our propane on. We let the fridge get cold for 24 hrs. or so, then turn off & travel with 1 frozen ice pack or frozen bottle. Not even sure that is necessary. It is amazing how cold the drinks stay for hours. As said, insulation is effective!

JohnDar

I have always travelled with mine on, but think I might reconsider my thoughts here... I thought that was standard for everybody to tow with their propane on..I am not full time rv'r (just a weekend warrior) so when I leave my house I want mine to get cold by the time I get to where I am going...

I guess I can not think of to many issues that may occure from towing with it on. Propane is heavier than air, and every rv I have seen has a open floor or at least a vent in the propane tank compartmant that would not let it build up in the compartmant...

If a rv is on fire even if the tanks are turned off they are going to heat up and vent eventually!!

But on the other hand if some states make you turn off your tanks prior to entering tunnels then maybe there is something that I am missing..

From now on maybe I will just turn my fridge on a day early and then turn it off for the trip.. I did not know they were so well insulated to stay cold for a 4-5 hour trip.. thats good to hear... AS LONG AS MY BEER IS COLD WHEN I GET TO MY DESTINATION...LOL

good topic, this is something that I have not ever even thought about...

Yes, they will vent if they are heated enough. If there is fire, then the vent will become a jet of fire. So long as the tank is not under direct flame impingement and the metal getting weakened (or damaged by the accident), they should not explode. The BLEVE (boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion) phenomenon occurs when the tank is heated faster than the gas can vent, causing an overpressure inside. If the tank is damaged, it can result in a fireball and shrapnel. If there is fire on or around your tanks and you hear a high pitched scream coming from there, get WAY clear of the rig. There is nothing you can do with a small portable extinguisher. Best thing to have is up to date and complete insurance because RV's, like cars, are usually total losses when they catch fire.

As for keeping stuff cold, when we drove to our trailer, we put blue ice packs in the cooler. They lasted the 3 hour drive and the time it took to cool down the fridge (and then some). Keep a couple in the freezer while we're there. Used them again for the trip home. In between, they're great for the cooler on the pontoon.

JohnDar

Yes, if there is sufficient heat around them. If there is direct flame impingement, impact damage to them, or you hear a high pitched screaming sound coming from them, there is danger that they may explode. Get far away, you won't be able to do anything without copious amounts of water....from a distance. Call your insurance agent after you call 911. I don't want to get into a full class on BLEVE, but it's not something you can deal with.

wagenman

So we all agree on if its on fire there is nothing you can do no matter if your tanks were on or off... so what are the reasons that people are not using it going down the road?

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
If there is going to be a leak or loose connection on the propane lines, your chances are greater while bouncing down the road. If you are running the frig you have flame that can cause a BIG problem!! Also when fueling that flame is a VERY LARGE problem:eek:!! Where I work we have propane powered generators and have a standard nation wide policy not to even leave the regulators connected to the tanks while in motion. On my 3055 I installed 2-12 volt batteries and added an invertor wired to an ac outlet from it to the frig. I have traveled 10 hours and no low battery alarms. I also feel saver than having propane flowing. I know that this is not everyone's feeling as some of my best friend 5ers run their propane while traveling.

DaleR

Used to travel with propane on, but not now. Had a blow out last week on the left side rear. It took out the slide out wire flex guard, knocked all the wiring loose, didn't break any wiring, lucked out on that. Had it been on the right side it would taken out the rubber hose for the kitchen slide out. A lot of gas would of escaped before I could of stopped and got back to turn the tanks off.
Superduty08 like you idea of the inverter. Been thinking about it myself. What size inverter and do you leave the ref. on it all the time, or do you switch to shore power?
Dale 10-26-08