Wire in 2nd battery?

Budman

I have a 22' NorthTrail that only has 1 battery. We do a lot of boon-docking & are wondering if wiring in a 2nd battery would help with boosting power. Any help appreciated.

mlpeloquin

If a second battery would fit, you can double you capacity. If you stick with lead acid batteries, you can gain even more with two six volt batteries wired in series. Then there are the Lithium batteries. They do require your charger to be compatible with lithium technology. Do pay attention to the length, width, and height of the batteries to fix your battery box.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Not entirely sure if you have the room on a 22' north trail. I have 3 batteries on my 32' North trail. I used a different box and put them all in parallel. I also used group 29/31 sized batteries that also improved the battery storage. I can run the furnace for a couple of days in cool weather with this setup and have added solar to charge this large battery pack. I rarely have the converter turned on to charge the batteries as I use the solar panels most of the time.

I installed a couple of the Group 29 Battery Everstart MAXX that Walmart sells. It is around $100 each. A side from the actual labels, The batteries look identical to the interstate group 29 battery SRM-29 that I also have installed.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-...ttery/20531539

I modified a commercially-made container that fit 3 group 31 batteries fit my NT perfectly. You would have thought that the box was made for batteries considering how well they fit.
http://www.homzproducts.com/product/...-tough-tote-2/

I repainted the box to a close match to my NT.

If you are running low on battery during the night. You need more battery. If your running low over a couple of days. You might want to concider a small generator
if your looking for more battery capacity. Looking at the lithium or even the AGM batteries might be enough. My flooded batteries I don’t like to discharge more than 80% because that drastically effects the life span. AGM batteries allow for more discharge and faster charge rates while saving a little weight. I haven’t studied the lithium technology. But I understand they hold their voltage and can handle a very low discharge before recharging. And they are light weight.

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]2010 Ram 3500 HD traded in for new 2015 3500 HD DRW mega cab with the 3.42 gears[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I haven't hooked up yet, we'll see how it pulls with 17" wheels. (Pulls great !)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]2014 Cyclone 3100 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]G614 Goodyears [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Good Sam gps [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Trimark keyed alike [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Xantex 2000 watt inverter "Inverter Service Center" [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Blue Sea System toggle source selector [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]L.E.D. running lights [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Quadra Bigfoot levelers [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Dexter wet bolts [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Boyo wireless backup camera [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]EMS-HW50C [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]TST 507RV [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Smittybuilt air compressor [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Splendide 2100XC [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]26k Husky hitch [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Mor Ryde pin box [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]6-volt 240 AH batteries [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Added dinette[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Replaced L.E.D. tail lights with Leading Edge Trailer light bars (made in the US)[/FONT][/FONT]