Day 3: Polar Vortex Hostage Crisis

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Michigan and much of the Midwest is in the grip of a deep freeze. Unfortunately, one of the main compression plants for the state's natural gas supplier had a fire that caused it to shutdown on Wednesday night. The power company could still supply gas, but the high demand would outstrip their reserve supply. So they asked everyone in the state at 10:30 pm to turn down their thermostats to 65 or lower until later today. Even the governor posted an appeal. Keep in mind, the air temps were below 0 and the wind chills in the -30+ range. So, like a nice guy, I dropped ours down. It's chilly in here, but bearable. Sweatshirts, extra blanket on the bed and we were fine. Last report a little while ago was that the voluntary reduction in demand by homes and businesses across the area saved the day and everyone continued to have natural gas to their homes. Many large plants actually reduced or shut down production to reduce their demand.

What was amusing, however, was the howling and complaining that ensued on Facebook. You'd think they were being told to turn off their furnaces completely and stand outside. Without the reduction by all, that could well have occurred by the gas company not pumping anything. Cries of "why me, I pay my bill," accusations of price gouging, profiteering, etc., with no basis in fact, since the power companies prices are regulated by the state. To listen to it all makes me wonder what these babies would do in an actual emergency/disaster. Probably all run for a bottle of Jimmy Jones Kool-Aid.

Today is supposed to reach a balmy 15 degrees. By Monday, they're forecasting 50 with rain, then the bottom falls out again. Gotta love Michigan...we have seasons. And we're getting new windows installed in April (would've helped now :( ).

sengli

I saw on the news that GM actually closed 6 plants in order to help the situation. Good for them.

JohnDar

They and several others. From what I can gather, the biggest help was Michigan Sugar shutting down their beet processing facilities.

Fortunately, all the little and big sacrifices did the job. The crisis has passed and we can all raise our thermostats back at midnight last night, per Consumers Energy’s news briefing late last night. I saw it around noon today, so we contributed a little more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

david-steph2018

At least in Ohio we did not have the energy crisis. We did have wind chills of -40 deg the air temps were like -10 or -12 degs. Yeah Monday it is suppose to be back in the 50's for a few days. Somebody said it might bump the 60's sometime next week.. Just waiting now for the spring thaw

Big-B

We did our part. Our thermostat has been set on 50 for over a month now and will be for a while yet.

CoveredWagon

Michigan and much of the Midwest is in the grip of a deep freeze. Unfortunately, one of the main compression plants for the state's natural gas supplier had a fire that caused it to shutdown on Wednesday night. The power company could still supply gas, but the high demand would outstrip their reserve supply. So they asked everyone in the state at 10:30 pm to turn down their thermostats to 65 or lower until later today. Even the governor posted an appeal. Keep in mind, the air temps were below 0 and the wind chills in the -30+ range. So, like a nice guy, I dropped ours down. It's chilly in here, but bearable. Sweatshirts, extra blanket on the bed and we were fine. Last report a little while ago was that the voluntary reduction in demand by homes and businesses across the area saved the day and everyone continued to have natural gas to their homes. Many large plants actually reduced or shut down production to reduce their demand.

What was amusing, however, was the howling and complaining that ensued on Facebook. You'd think they were being told to turn off their furnaces completely and stand outside. Without the reduction by all, that could well have occurred by the gas company not pumping anything. Cries of "why me, I pay my bill," accusations of price gouging, profiteering, etc., with no basis in fact, since the power companies prices are regulated by the state. To listen to it all makes me wonder what these babies would do in an actual emergency/disaster. Probably all run for a bottle of Jimmy Jones Kool-Aid.

Today is supposed to reach a balmy 15 degrees. By Monday, they're forecasting 50 with rain, then the bottom falls out again. Gotta love Michigan...we have seasons. And we're getting new windows installed in April (would've helped now :( ).

Zactly why werein FL Yeah we had to suffer through winter here too. Lows in the 40s and highs in the low 60s. Wife is constantly calling “Alexa what’s the temperature in Royal Oak, MI” lol

CLGray

Here living full time. We had some lessons learned form this -30* temps and -60* wind chill. Upgrade postings to come and document all results.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnDar

Zactly why werein FL Yeah we had to suffer through winter here too. Lows in the 40s and highs in the low 60s. Wife is constantly calling “Alexa what’s the temperature in Royal Oak, MI” lol

No thanks. Been to the south and do not want to live there

Big-B

No thanks. Been to the south and do not want to live there

Have you tried the Southwest? We spend our winters in New Mexico and Arizona and love it. Sometimes it still gets below freezing at night but we haven't had to deal with any snow or ice. Been at it for years and love it.

JohnDar

Visited the Southwest and was stationed at Holloman AFB in 1971. I’m a Michigander and always will be. Most of the time, winter isn’t a major problem and we can handle the occasional big storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk