28 BHS Winterization

Johnp322

The time is coming fast here in the NorthEast to start the winterization process. This is my first year with the trailer and new to the winterization task. Any help would be appreciated.
John

jbeletti

North Trail Winterization Process

Below is some "general" guidance from the North Trail plant. While it is step-by-step, it may not be to the level of detail for a first-timer.

Jim

**Heartland recommends that customers see a certified North Trail dealer for winterization whenever possible**

When unavailable:

1) Drain the fresh water holding tank by opening the ball valve located on the exterior of the unit (See label).

2) At the back of the water heater, there are (3) ball valves. Close the cold line going into the water heater and close the hot line coming out of the water heater. Open the bypass valve that runs between the hot and cold lines.

3) On the outside of the unit open the water heater access door and unscrew the large plug at the bottom of the water heater face (Should be a 1-1/16” socket) and remove.

4) Inside the unit, locate the 12volt water pump. There should be 2 valves at the pump. Close the ball valve between the fresh water tank and the inlet side of the pump. Open the valve between the white flexible hose and the inlet side of the pump.

5) Insert the flexible line into a gallon jug of RV antifreeze and turn on the pump.

6) Turn on the cold water at the kitchen sink and run until the water starts to run pink then shut it off. Turn on the hot water at the kitchen sink until the water runs pink, (Note: be sure to run the water on the hot side long enough to fill the P-trap with antifreeze before shutting it off).

7) Repeat the process on the bathroom lav. and the shower or tub. (Be sure to allow enough antifreeze into the P-trap on both drains).

8) Flush the toilet until the water coming out is pink.

9) Go to the outside shower and repeat the process used on the inside faucets.

10) Go back inside, turn of the water pump and close the ball valve on the flexible line that was running to the antifreeze.

11) Remove the hose from the gallon jug.

12) The last step is to go outside (see label) and open the low point drains (hot and cold) until they run pink and then close.

Note: Make sure all holding tanks (grey and black) are emptied prior to storage.

Johnp322

Much Thanks

Thanks Jim
That check list is perfect, I been over the trailer getting used to all the valves and shut offs and feel confident in following the list. Thanks again.
John

Johnp322

Location of low point drains

I guess the factory forgot to put the label for the low point drains because my trailer does not have them. I figure I would ask the location before I climb under the trialer looking for them.
Thanks John

techman

The low point drains are between the back left stabilizer and the bumper. Mine are tucked up very high and are hard to see. You may need to lay down underneath and look up to find them. The fresh water tank drain is on the right side between the steps and the wheels.

Johnp322

A big thank you

Thank you for that infomation, I was going to winterize it today since the weather was warm but as soon as i lifted the plywood covering the hot water tank and the water pump and big fat leak was waiting for me. The cold water inlet to the hot water tank was leaking, oh well back to the dealer for warranty service again.
John