Potential Mod - Replacing True Induction cooktop with Furrion Stainless Steel Gas Cooktop

cbramsey

Wife discovered that our True Induction cooktop is no longer working as desired. Our Landmark came with the Induction cooktop installed as standard. Later Landmarks (roughly min-2017 and later) came with the Furrion Gas Cooktop/Oven installed.

We are looking to replace the Induction cooktop with the https://furrion.com/collections/cooktops/products/stainless-steel-gas-cooktop

We do have the propane piping running down the frame with connectors heading to the furnace and water heater already. Looking at the product manuals for the Furrion as well as the True Induction shows the cutout needed to install is almost identical.

Furrion.png.jpgTrue_Induction.png.jpg

It would make sense to have a shutoff valve attached to the flexible propane line if we do this.

Is there anything else I need to consider if we do this???

jerryjay11

Before you replace the induction cooktop be very sure it isn't your pot and pans that are the problem. I would think you already are aware they have to be perfectly flat for the induction coils to work. If they tend to wobble on a flat surface they will not work properly on the induction coils. But if you are sure the cookware is flat and you just aren't satisfied with it's performance the a gas cooktop is your answer. Just be sure to make tight connections. If using copper tubing make the fittings with a double flare for added leak protection. The shut-off for that line would be okay if you can get it into an accessible place where you don't have to remove paneling to access.

southernlady5464

Before you replace the induction cooktop be very sure it isn't your pot and pans that are the problem. I would think you already are aware they have to be perfectly flat for the induction coils to work. If they tend to wobble on a flat surface they will not work properly on the induction coils. But if you are sure the cookware is flat and you just aren't satisfied with it's performance the a gas cooktop is your answer. Just be sure to make tight connections. If using copper tubing make the fittings with a double flare for added leak protection. The shut-off for that line would be okay if you can get it into an accessible place where you don't have to remove paneling to access.
The wife here. Pans work fine. I despise the cooktop but was dealing with it until it stopped cooking. Actually one eye would quit, other would work, then it would quit and the one not working would work again. Then last night both quit. Thankfully I had a stand-alone induction cooking eye til we can get this swapped out.

jbeletti

Others have done this swap. Cutout size was the same and it worked out well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jerryjay11

The wife here. Pans work fine. I despise the cooktop but was dealing with it until it stopped cooking. Actually one eye would quit, other would work, then it would quit and the one not working would work again. Then last night both quit. Thankfully I had a stand-alone induction cooking eye til we can get this swapped out.
Got it! What the wife says is the rule. No problem here. It's just I am an appliance repair technician and hate to trash a good appliance.

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
I did the swap two years ago and am very happy with it. The new Furrion cooktop fit perfectly. Running the gas line was rather straight foreward. DW is happy with it and that is what really mattered.

"Hi-Viz" Bill

We also replaced our induction cooktop with a 3-burner Furrion, AND added a Furrion oven below it, last summer. We had to give up 2 of the 3 drawers to install the oven, in our '16 Newport, but it's the best upgrade we've done to date!!! The "little wife" is VERY happy, and the Furrion appliances have worked AWESOME !!!

cbramsey

Got it! What the wife says is the rule. No problem here. It's just I am an appliance repair technician and hate to trash a good appliance.

The issue is we HAVE been having major issues with our induction cooktop. It is on the list for our next visit to be looked at the Retail Service Center in Elkhart.

southernlady5464

We also replaced our induction cooktop with a 3-burner Furrion, AND added a Furrion oven below it, last summer. We had to give up 2 of the 3 drawers to install the oven, in our '16 Newport, but it's the best upgrade we've done to date!!! The "little wife" is VERY happy, and the Furrion appliances have worked AWESOME !!!
I was wondering about that.

Question? Did you have a shallow top drawer and two deeper ones under it? I don’t mind losing two if it gives me my countertop back. I hate microwave convection ovens, have missed an oven, so we added a countertop one.

I just have to figure out where the stuff will end up that’s in the top two. Most of what is in the top one can reside in a container on the counter and just be put away during traveling.

I would leave well enough alone IF THE COOKTOP worked. But about three weeks ago, it stopped working. It turns on but won’t heat. I have to haul out my portable one to do anything that needs a stovetop.

So either we replace it with what I want or the Service Center will replace it with a new induction cooktop. Either way, this particular one is getting replaced.

cbramsey

Fast forward until now. Induction cooktop was replaced under warranty at the Heartland Retail Service Center. We finished out our 2 year warranty with Heartland. This particular induction cooktop died 4 months later. Talked with the folks at Heartland who tied us in with Dehco (parent manufacturer of the True Induction cooktop). They agreed to replace cooktop #2 as a gesture of good will and authorized payment of labor costs associated with the replacement. Had induction cooktop #3 shipped to Campfire RV Repair in Marion, NC because it was on our way to our next long duration destination.

The techs at Campfire RV Repair removed induction cooktop #2 and plugged in cooktop #3. Prior to applying silicone, we suggested testing our the cooktop. One eye worked. The other cooktop eye gave an error code. After consultation with Heartland and Dehco, the folks at Dehco stated, "Unfortunately it seem this is also a defective unit."

So fast forward another 3 weeks when cooktop #4 was installed. This particular unit was tested out at Heartland prior to shipment to North Carolina. It was installed and appeared to work well. Within the last week, induction cooktop #4 has started making noises that aren't normal for a cooktop that is working well. This unit has started "cycling" and we are presently at a FHU site with stable 50 Amp electrical service. The wife hasn't mentioned any issues with any of the other electrical appliances.

So, my question for those who have made this mod where the cooktop was located in a slide. How long a flexible propane hose did you use and where did you tie into the existing propane system?

Jim, is there someone at Heartland who can provide input?

"Hi-Viz" Bill

The wife very much disliked the induction cooktop, and not having an oven, in our '16 LM Newport, so .....

We had the Furrion gas cooktop & oven installed 1-1/2 yrs ago at Affinity RV Group in Goshen, IN. They tied into the propane line with a tee, where the line elbowed to cross our coach to the curbside, where our water heater is. From the tee, back along the frame apx. 14' .. Then a flexible line +- 6' across the bottom of the slide, to another tee!! From that tee they ran 2, 3/8" copper lines up into the slide to supply the cooktop & oven.

Life's been great ever since !!! :eek::eek::eek: