3850 behind a F350

My wife and I are looking at getting a 2008 F350 DRW 6.4 with 4.30 rear end. We are wondering if we get a Cyclone 3850 will we be able to safely tow, and and more importantly, stop with this setup. What do you think the 3850 will weigh with a 1000# toy in the back and all the other goddies such as gas in the fuel station, LP in the tanks, water, food, pots and pans, etc....

jbeletti

grizzlander,

The dry weight (no options) is: 13,900
The GVWR (max it can weigh with options, fuels, batteries, toys, your stuff): 18,000

To the 13,900, add to it, the weight of any options you are considering. I have listed the options below from the Cyclone web site.

Also, please take a look at the attached 2008 Ford Truck 5th Wheel Towing Guide - from Ford. Find the exact truck you are considering. You did not mention the cab style (regular, crew or super), 2DW/4WD, Auto/Manual trans. These all make a difference. With the 6.4L in a F350, it does not look like this combination is available. But the guide is really easy to follow and perhaps it will really guide you :)

If you plan to add the generator option and the washer/dryer option, I tend to think once you add your toy, your stuff, fuels and a few more options, you'll be at least 17,000 (just a guess). That said, I'd consider going with F450 and 4.88 rear gearing. Really low and poorer fuel economy but it gets you a much higher loaded trailer capacity with margin (on paper anyway).

Best of luck,

Jim

CYCLONE OPTIONS (of 22-Oct-2008):

• Power Electric Awning
  • 2nd Power Elect. Awning (most triple slide models)
  • Solid Hardwood Cabinetry w/Cherry Stain
  • Solid Surface Countertops
  • Slide Awning Package
  • High Gloss Fiberglass Exterior Sidewalls
  • Countertop Extension (where available)
  • Free Standing Dinette w/4 Chairs (where available)
  • 12-Pack Dinette Booth (where available)
  • Patio Sliding Door (3210, 3795, 3914, 3850)
  • Fantastic Vent w/Rain Sensor (where available)
  • Removable Edged Cargo Carpet
  • Central Vacuum System
  • Double Electric Queen Beds (Double beds in 3210)
  • Rear Screen Enclosure
  • 10 Cu. Ft. Refrigerator w/ Ice Maker
  • 5.5 KW Generator
  • Security Camera with Monitor in Bedroom
  • Washer/Dryer (where available)
  • Electric Rear Jacks (N/A 3010TDS)
  • Full Throttle Graphics Package
  • Fold-Away Sink in Garage (some models)
  • Upgrade Rear Conv. Sofa in Garage
  • 15,000 BTU Air Conditioner Heat Pump with Solar Charger
  • Beverage Cooler (where available)
  • ABS Hitch Cover (5th wheel models)

Attachments

• 2008_Ford_5th_Wheel_Towing_Guide.pdf
    754.7 KB · Views: 16
Sorry I forgot to mention it is not a chassis cab but a regular pickup. It is a 4x4 crew cab, auto tranny. I can get it for about 14k below sticker price.

Last edited:

KHinson

2008 F450 King Ranch
Grizzlander,

I agree with Jim. You'll want to consider the F450 as with a full gas tank for the toy/generator, 100 gallons of water (if not available where camping), the toy, food, clothes, etc. you'll definitely want to have some flexibility in your towing capability. I have the 2008 F450 with 4.88 rear, 4X4, auto trans. Have about 16K miles on it. It will tow my 2007 3795, loaded as above, and with extra 70 gallons of water in the bed, chain saws, etc. No issues, going up 3-4 % grades at 9000 Feet above sea level, and more importantly, no issues coming back down.

sure is a beast to feed though!

Good luck

Keith

KHinson

2008 F450 King Ranch
Grizz,

I get between 6-10 mpg depending on the grade. 10 being flat. The computer mileage calculation is off by about 1 mpg, high. So it will tell me I'm getting better than I really am. I check it the old fashion way.

Keep in mind though, I pull in the Colorado mountain area, so my numbers may be low compared to some other folks. I have NOT seen an increase in mileage as the engine broke in. Maybe in a few more thousand.

I have a FORD heavy use maintenance plan, so everything, including the fuel filters gets changed out every 5K miles.

My previous truck was an 02 7.3L F350, dually, 4X4, auto, 3.73 rear end. That truck couldn't handle the Cyclone on the grades I pull, not sure why, other folks on this site say theirs works fine. I had a BANKS exhaust, pillar gauges and an Edge programmer (used in tow mode) with an Air Aide intake.

Ford tech said that with that much air coming into the turbo, I needed to replace it to maximize the air flow and prevent damage to the engine. Then of course, with more horsepower you have problems with transmissions, rear ends, etc. Decided it wasn't worth it.

Also, though it had the tow/haul mode which was not the same as the F450 system and did not have the Tow command system either. Both of these work INCREDIBLY to handle the Cyclone fully loaded. Never felt safer pulling the RV.

I use my F450 as a daily driver, can't afford to let it sit. I get a little over 10 mpg around town, stop and go and will get as much as 17 mpg on a trip at 60 MPH. It seems to get better mileage at 60 than at 55. It starts decreasing again at 65MPH.

Know this is more info than you requested, but hope it proves helpful.

KH

KH, Thanks for the info. I know what you mean about the mountains of Colorado. I moved to Nebraska from Colorado.
According to the links and information above a 2008 4x4 Ford 6.4 Crew Cab DRW F350 with 4.30 rear end, auto tranny has a 5th wheel towing capacity of 17800 lbs. and the GVRW for the Cyclone 3850 is 18000 lbs so am I reading this correctly and there is only a 200 lbs difference in the capacity for both truck and trailer? And if I get a F450 so I could tow more I would be over the GVRW of the Cyclone? Thanks in advance for your help.

KHinson

2008 F450 King Ranch
Grizz, Yes, I believe you are reading it correctly. My 3795 Cyclone is also max'd out at 18000 lbs. My F450 with automatic transmission has a 5th wheel capacity of 24,000 lbs. (But I'm betting that's at sea level and on a level road!) If the numbers are accurate (and they should be) the F350 and the Cyclone should be a good match with only a 200 lb difference, depending on how you load it of course. Since the F350 can pull 17,800 and the most you can load the RV is 18,000 lbs.
The numbers on my Cyclone say it weighs 14,000lbs empty. Then I add water, (110 gallons at 8.3 lbs per gallon), gas for the generator and toy, (30 gallons at 6 lbs per gallon). I’m already at 15,100 without my ATV (1000lbs), food, all the basement stuff. So you can see just with my ATV, water and gas I’m 18,000-16,100=1,900lbs left of “stuff’ I can put on the RV. That’s why I also use the truck to carry the extra water vice the garage in the RV.
However, I tend to err on the side of caution and figured at altitude, and extra water in drums in my bed, and not for sure how much my Cyclone really weighs fully loaded, if I got a 24Klb capacity truck, I could pull anything I would ever want to pull over any incline. Plus, I could do it without needing a Commercial Drivers License (in Colorado anyway).
I find with the 4.88 rear end, it is much easier to pull the RV, even starting out than it was with the 7.3L F350. I had to accelerate with the 7.3L pretty heavily to get it moving. With the 4.88 F450, I just take my foot off of the brake and it starts by itself.
I like to have as big a safety factor as possible when going down the road at 60mph, and the F450 with all the towing features satisfied that for me. And, being able to put 6000Lbs in the bed of the truck without adding airbags also made me feel safer. I also had a 24K lb 5th wheel hitch installed, even though I would probably never need the extra capacity, it makes me feel better!
Would recommend that when you do your cost/benefit analysis of a F350 vice an F450, call your insurance company and see if there is an issue with them or a big price difference, because they may try to call the F450 a commercial vehicle. Ran into this with my company, but logic prevailed once I sent them to Ford's web-page and they could see it was a pickup truck and there was no issue with them then insuring it for me.

(Also, don't forget that the family and "stuff' in your truck will also need to be considered as they will subtract from the total weight that your truck can carry)

Best of luck and let me know if you have any more questions for me. KH

crazybanshee

Grizzlander There are great deals on used HDT now. Plenty of room for the family and plenty of towing capacity.
Doug