Winterizing 3612

Smokeyfl

When the dealer went over the winterization procedures for my unit, they said the water inlet next to the "winterization valve" was used to winterize the fresh water. The instructions on the inside of the hatch say it's to flush the black water tank, which is correct.
When you switch the lever to winterization and turn on the pump, I could not find the inlet for the antifreeze. What am I missing?

PUG

Pug
I have a 3950 but I am guessing your plumbing is approximately the same. On mine I open the compartment in the basement by removing 3 screws (black panel) that exposes the plumbing. There are three valves in there and a hose with that is used to put in the antifreeze bottle. The first valve is on the hot water line coming out of the water heater. Turn it sideways (off). The second valve is going into the water heater and is the cold water inlet, also turn it off. The third valve is a line between the hot and cold which is a bypass. Turn it on or open. What these three valves do is to bypass the hot water heater so you don't have to fill it up with antifreeze. The hose to put in the anti freeze is laying in the compartment beside all of the other pipes. It will be attached on one end and free on the other. Next in your utility compartment, turn the winterization valve to "winterize". You can go in the coach now and turn the pump on and one by one open the hot and cold on all sinks, showers, flush toilets and if you have a washer turn it on until you see the pink stuff flow. It took three gallons of antifreze for me to get the nice pink flowing through all of the sinks etc. When done reverse the above procedure. The water heater should be drained with the plug provided and I also drained my low point drains. Hope this helps.

psdl*99

Smoke,
The valve in question changes where the water pump is pulling from (fresh water tank or RV antifreeze syphon tube). There is a separate inlet for black tank flush. I have a 3612 and winterized it 2 weeks ago. Here is what I did.

1. Pull kitchen drawer out above water heater. Reach in (you better have long arms) and close the inlet and outlet valves. Open the bypass valve.
2. Drain water heater by removing the plug from outside. (27MM socket works)
3. Connect air compressor to city water hookup line (special connector required) and blow water out of lines.
4. Open hot and cold water low point drain valves. Disconnect air compressor.
5. Open fresh water tank drain valve.
6. Open lower storage compartment and remove rear wall to access RV antifreeze syphon tube. Put tube into full bottle of RV antifreeze. Set water valve to "Winterize".
7. Turn water pump on and open each faucet until RV antifreeze comes out. You will need 2 bottles of RV antifreeze.
8. Drain black and grey tanks.
9. Leave fridge and freezer doors open to prevent mold.
10. Disconnect and trickle charge the battery.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Smokeyfl

Number 6 is where you lost me. Where is the lower storage compartment you are talking about? I did by pass the water heater. Had to call my long armed brother to turn the lower valve! I have been winterizing campers for 30 years and the bypass valve is new to me.

gyvaldez

Smoke,

I did the same thing you did. I could not figure out why it would not suck the antifreeze in. The inlet you mentioned is to flush out the black tank. I did what was mentioned on step 6 above. You need to remove the rear wall in the lower compatment. Once you do that you will see the water pump with the syphon hose coming out of one side on the winterizing valve. What I did so that I would not need to remove that wall next time I need to winterize the unit is I purchased an inlet connection like the one going to the black water tank and mounted it next to the black water inlet. I then connected the syphon hose to that inlet and winterized the unit. It worked great. One thing to remember is that if you purchase an inlet with a check valve you need to remove the check valve part inside. I don't know why but it would not pull the antifreeze in until I removed the check valve even though it was flowing in the correct direction.

Hope this helps