Fireplace Electrical Outlet Malfunction

Two Hands

The outlet is not putting out any juice. All the others seem to be working fine. The GFI plug is working properly and the circuit breaker has not tripped. I guess it could be the fuse, but I don't know what a bad fuse would look like. I ran a search on the forum, but did not find any information. Can anyone offer some advice?

Did you try using an extension cord to another outlet to see if fireplace works at all? Many RV outlets are just push in the wire type and come loose after travel. Good luck.

jpmorgan37

The fuse panel is for your 12 volt circuits. You should have a circuit breaker labeled for the fireplace. Try turning it off and back on to reset it. Test your receptacle with a volt meter. If it shows no voltage, switch the breaker off, remove the receptacle and check the wire connections. As Ben said, they use push in connections and if they aren't pushed in far enough, they sometimes come loose. I have changed some of mine to be secured by screws instead of pushing them in. Hope this helps.

John

Two Hands

I had used the extension cord and the fireplace worked from the different receptacle. I had also tried turning the breaker off and on. I tried that again this morning, but nothing. I would like to try your suggestion but I can't figure out how to get the cover off. It doesn't have the two screws holding it on like the ones at home. How do I get inside to check the wire?

jbeletti

Two Hands. The RV receptacles use a large compression tool to snap that back cover onto the receptacle. Pretty easy to pry off - really hard to get back on. If you are willing to tackle this repair yourself, consider purchasing a standard duplex receptacle (residential style) and maybe a remodel style plastic electrical box (if you have the depth). I actually started to do this once but in the end, had the plant recrimp the receptacle for me. You may just want to swing by a dealer to have it recrimped if it's convenient for you.

Jim

Two Hands

I greatly appreciate all your help because I was finally able to get the receptacle out and easier than I feared. However, all three wires appeared to be securely connected so I put it back together. Any other suggestions?

jbeletti

Yes - did you use a volt meter to test for the presence of 110 volts AC across the black and white wires when you had it apart? There there is none there - then I would:

1. Pull the AC breaker panel and check to see that the wires are tight on the breaker and on the neutral buss. Be VERY careful in there. Do this with the AC off (unplugged from park power).

2. Possibly an issue with the wiring coming to the slide. Check the wire looms on the flex guard under the slide.

Jim

TXBobcat

Fulltime
When my fireplace was installed they just plugged it into the existing receptacle rather than put in a separate branch to the breaker panel.

If you will take a lamp or another item powered by AC you can check the other outlets around the trailer. Your outlets are in parallel. If the wires in the receptacle for the fire place are secure then go to another outlet near by and check the connections in it. Also check all the breakers in the breaker panel. It may be on a breaker different than the one you think it is on.

If you have time, I would run a separate circuit from the back of the trailer to the breaker panel. Use #12 AWG 2 wire with ground romax and a 20 amp breaker. That way if you plug in another heater in the trailer it will be on a separate branch and not trip a breaker.

Two Hands

I checked the wiring harnesses under the fireplace slideout and could not see any obvious problems. I don't have the knowledge or ability to check any further. I'll take it in for repairs when we get home from this road trip. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

jimtoo

One more place you might look is under the slide at the junction box, either on the slide or the frame where the wiring is tied together. I found a loose wire in one of mine. But make sure the power is off before looking, just for safety, Unplug the power cord from the supply box.

Jim M

Two Hands

My repair facility found and corrected the problem in the junction box outside and under the fireplace slide. Just two loose wires as jimtoo had suspected. Thanks again for all of your suggestions!