Dodge Ram Towing

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
In the process of buying a new Dodge 3500 dually with auto trans. Towing the 3670, is the 373 gears good enough or should I get the 410. I want the best fuel mileage and be able to pull any grade with no problem.
What fuel mileage does everyone get with the two different gears.

Bill

geeksrus

I went with the 4.10 to haul my 3400RL... when I checked the specs, the 3.73 was borderline so my safety comfort zone was better with the 4.10.

I like the idea of being oversized & it also allows me to get a larger 5er down the road, if we decide on that option.

Eh!

Forrest Fetherolf

In the process of buying a new Dodge 3500 dually with auto trans. Towing the 3670, is the 373 gears good enough or should I get the 410. I want the best fuel mileage and be able to pull any grade with no problem.

Bill

I would recommend going with the 373. The 410 will increase rpm at lower freeway speeds, thus lower fuel mileage. Any diesel will have the power to pull any 5th wheel without stressing the engine. I pull a 3600RL with a 06 Duramax w/Allison 6 speed 62 mph @ 1650 rpms and average 11.5 mpg. GCVW is 22460 lbs fully loaded with 65 gals of fuel and Onan 5500LP generator. No performance chips for me!!!!! I have all the power needed.

Forrest

Forrest Fetherolf

Bill

I would recommend going with the 373. The 410 will increase rpm at lower freeway speeds, thus lower fuel mileage. Any diesel will have the power to pull any 5th wheel without stressing the engine. I pull a 3600RL with a 06 Duramax w/Allison 6 speed 62 mph @ 1650 rpms and average 11.5 mpg. GCVW is 22460 lbs fully loaded with 65 gals of fuel and Onan 5500LP generator. No performance chips for me!!!!! I have all the power needed.

Forrest

beardedone

Beardedone
I tow my Landmark Augusta with the same truck (3:73) and I am heavy. Put about 5,000 Km on it in the mountains and no issue. Just drive responsibly. It is not a real safety issue at all but if you have a warranty issue you want to make you weight is right!

Jimmyt5

I have the same 6.7 with the 6 speed and a 373 never have been able to see any difference from my last Dodge that had a 4:10 as far as pulling. That Cummins 6.7 will pull anything you have.

bsummit

Thanks for all the replys, I am leaning toward the 373. My 3670 is not loaded real heavy, so I believe the 373 will be fine.

Bill

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
3.73 is a good gear for the Cummins. 4.10 is overkill, wouldn't have a 4.10 myself.

Cummins engines make peak torque down low around 1600 and like to cruise around 1800 RPM for max fuel economy.

Luckyhat12

If you are going to look for mileage try to get the 3.42 gears in there. I have an 07 with the last of the 5.9's and I am looking to do the swap for 3.42's when I get the money. The motor has power and it isn't going to hurt it.

There is a thread about the 3.42's over on the cumminsforum talking about this same kinda thing. A guy with a 6.7 Auto is looking for 3.42's and he tows as well.

The mileage with the 6.7 is much less than the 5.9. Anything you can do to help the mileage even if it means shifting more will help out. They have the motor to pull everything that I have been able to hook up to regardless of gearing.

Last edited:

Blessed

I pull a Landmark Monticello with a 2006 Dodge and a 3.73. I do not have any problems. I talked to the Development Engineer at Chrysler before I bought my truck to ask him why the 4.10 had a higher towing capacity than the 3.73. He said that the have a test they run where they put a fully loaded trailer on an incline at a dead stop. The truck has so many seconds to get up to a certain speed. Obviously the 4.10 can do that with a heavier trailer than the 3.73. Since I do not ever seeing myself in that condition, I went with the 3.73 and have never regretted it.

bsummit

Update on my new truck purchase. I drove an 08 mega cab 4x4 yesterday and would like to know if anyone tow's a 3670 with the 4x4 and if they had to make any adjustments to hitch etc.
Thanks, Bill

osims

bsims
Bill
I tow my Landmark with a Dodge 4x4 with no problems, i did let the hitch down one hole. The trailer rides level. I did add Timbriems to the truck to keep it level also.

jcd8822

Joseph
We have a 2006 Dodge with 6 on the floor and 3.73. We get 13.5 to 16 pulling our Bighorn 3500RL. We could not be happier. I went in for an oil change in May before we left for the summer and the service manager ask if we still loved the truck, then he said they have had a lot of issues with the 2008 and we should hang on to ours as long as possible. Our milage as of last month is 6100 and it is a great unit. Our neighbor wants a new one but is determined it will not be 4.10. He drove our's and fell in love with it.

Joseph

bsummit

WE GOT IT (New Truck)

Got the new truck yesterday. 2008 Ram 3500HD Auto. 4X4. Got 60 miles on it, really burning up the road. Got to get the hitch installed. Trying to locate an install kit it. I have the 16K Valley hitch and rails, just need the install kit. (any ideas on locating one).
Looking forward to towing the 3670 and how it will perform.

Attachments

• New Truck 1.jpg
    New Truck 1.jpg
    834.9 KB · Views: 46
  • New Truck.jpg
    New Truck.jpg
    841.3 KB · Views: 54
  • New Truck 2.jpg
    New Truck 2.jpg
    821.6 KB · Views: 61

Jimmyt5

Good looking truck......

Attachments

• !cid_000601c82d75$16b540a0$6401a8c0@desk.jpg
    !cid_000601c82d75$16b540a0$6401a8c0@desk.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 52

Luckyhat12

I went here http://www.hitchfinder.com/ and put my specs in. I put the reese rails in my truck because my dad had them in his truck and I have an extra set at home for another old truck that I have. I don't mind too much. They have the extra bracket set to mount the rails to. I did my own install in the front yard. Wasn't too horrible but I don't mind doing my own stuff. I wish I had some helpful hints but it was pretty straight forward. All I would say is to put your hitch base in the rails to make everything line up.

You can drill the frame and they tell you how. It isn't rocket science, just don't drill too close to the rounded corners and make sure that you either have a spacer in between the frame rails or you are pulling against the inside. With that kit you will be fishing wires through to put your bolts in there. It is normal. I have towed my 3795 6,000 miles already and never even had a bolt work loose the first time. They stayed torqued from the start.

I also ordered the in bed mounted plug for the 5th wheel. They have one there that just plugs into the back of the factory one under the bottom and it is a T with an extension on it that goes up into the bed. I had to put mine behind the driver fender well. All plug and play with no cutting of wires. Just a single hole in the inner bed panel.

THe other thing I did with mine was drill everything and take the rails and the plug back out before I got my line-X liner put in. That made it so that my holes had some rust proofing around them as well. I haven't had any issues by doing it that way and would recommend it to anyone.

Have fun with it. It looks like a great truck. I would probably head over to cumminsforum.com if you have any questions that come up about it.

Chris

bsummit

Thanks Chris for the information. I planned on putting it in myself also, but a friend of mine owns a body shop and I went by and visited with him yesterday and ask him if he would help me and he said, sure they would put it in for me at no charge. I just got to get the install kit.

Bill

JimandSina

Hitch info

You might give these folks http://www.etrailer.com/p-V70550.htm a look I bought my hitch and install kit from them, and am very satisfied.
Jim

Got the new truck yesterday. 2008 Ram 3500HD Auto. 4X4. Got 60 miles on it, really burning up the road. Got to get the hitch installed. Trying to locate an install kit it. I have the 16K Valley hitch and rails, just need the install kit. (any ideas on locating one).
Looking forward to towing the 3670 and how it will perform.

andy

I tow a 3600RL with a swivel wheel golf cart trailer with an 05 longbed with 3.73 gears .Just came back from staunton VA an i was well pleased with the way it pulled the mountains . have a friend who has the 4.10 an the 3.73 without a trailer gets alot better fuel mileage

beardedone

Beardedone
Congrats. I tow my Augusta with an 08 3500 dually and 3:73 gears. It tows very well especially in the mountains, and we climbed some big ones in western Canada and Montana. You will love the exhaust brake, just use the tow/haul mode.