Fender flair

busted2341

The fender flair or shroud or whatever it is referred to has cracked at the screw holes. Since my 3055 is only 2 years old (06), has this problem been seen before and is there a bracket that is available so that the fender flair (part that is over the wheels) does not wiggle back and forth as when traveling down the highway?

beardedone

Beardedone
I had that problem on my Titanium as well. I hope it doesn't happen to my Landmark but I suppose it won't be a surprise. This seems to be somewhat common. I don't know of anything you can do to prevent it. The material is just not thick enough at the screws to prevent it.

gdog

gdog
fender skirts

We have an 09 3055. The skirt bracket on the ods is excellent, the one on the ds looks like an after thought. The one side had a crack where the screw holds it to the side. I corrected this by using a washer(painted white) that fits perfectly into the recessed area where the screw goes. This disperses the support over a larger area. Seems to have worked well.
gdog

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
I had the same problem on our 2006 BH 3600RL. The dealer replaced the trim and anchored the brace to the fender/wheel trim so it would not flap in the wind while traveling. Good luck.

jarnold60

I had the same problem on my 09 Bighorn 3055. I think some of the screws were too tight. As soon as I backed off one where a crack was, the crack closed up.

Niles

I agree with Jim, I think the screws are too tight causing the crack to start with. And I also think this is a problem that will never be fixed at the factory, when you have air tools putting in hundreds of screws a day there are going to be some that just get tighten a little too much, and when it gets to us and we start going down the road and get some flex to it, it cracks. Not just a Heartland problem either.

ChopperBill

Everything down below the gel coat, including the aluminum skirt is pretty cheap and flimsy. I agree air tools are not need in those areas or in the interior on the wall panels.

dfk009

I talked to my local dealer that has just started handling the Heartland brands, about the flair cracking problem. He said every manufacture he has on his lot has the same problem. So don't be so hard on Big Horn.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Busted, I had one the the screw holes were also cracked. But my 07 had brackets. Heartland replaced it while it was still in warrenty. When it was order, they did ask if it had the brackets. You might get in touch with Heartland and see if you can get the brackets. Bob:D

Arkansas1

Past Arkansas Chapter Leaders
A possible fix?
My 2009 Landmark started to do the same,but I heard that the one's putting our rigs together seem to get into a bit of a hurry so they can move on to the next one to improve their income, therefore screwing in the fenders against the body to the point of pulling the fender beyond its capacity and when the rig goes down the road the vibration causes the tear or break, the fix at least for me! I went to a local hardware store in my case home depot, a went to the fastening department and purchased enough rubber washers for both fenders and removed the screws from the fender skirts and placed one rubber washer between the skirts and the body and "hand tightened" each screw down tight enough to keep the fender snug to the rubber washer to prevent the skirt from being stretched beyond its limit. Once again this method has worked for me so far, not saying that this is the cure but I am keeping my fingers crossed, good luck and if someone out their in heartland world has an answere let me know if there is a cure,
Thanks.

beardedone

Beardedone
Mike and/or Betty
Can you tell me how long ago this was done and how many km's / miles you travelled with the mod. Sounds like a good idea, I am just trying to see how it tested out.

Gerry

Arkansas1

Past Arkansas Chapter Leaders
Gerry,
I have put aprox. 2800 miles give or take, this was done about 10 mos. ago so far so good.
Mike

Last edited:

busted2341

Great idea, and just to let ya'll know I am not blaming Heartland. They have been a great company and my wife wants another already. I know the problem is probably common so thanks for all the great ideas. I think I will try the rubber washer on the inside with a larger metal one on the outside until I can find a bracket I can put inside the well. Thanx everyone....

Forrest Fetherolf

Install This double faced foam tape full length between fender flair and sheet metal skirt. The tape will eliminate vibration and cracking around the screws.

Forrest