Generator Wire

bowtorc

We have a 2005 Mt Rushmore and would like to run a wire from the 5th wheel bracket through the space between the fiberglass and floor so I can run a generator in the back of the truck while on the road. This is the logical place to conceal the wire but I was wondering if it is possible to fish a wire through or is there crossmembers etc. to block it? Any ideas?
:confused:
Thanks
Roger

Scott

Gen. Wire

What you need to be aware of is there are holding tanks in the front of your coach. There is one or two holding tanks directly below the front pass-through storage area floor (where the rubberized floor matting is), and one or two under the main coach floor (depending on floorplan) that you can see down through the opening to the belly of the coach when the sliding cargo doors are open. That main storage area has a structurwood wrapped in darco floor that is removeable underneath. This will give you some great access to that area so you can wire around whatever tank(s) are in there.
I know a lot of folks who have added generators (whether in the front facing storage area or in their truck) end up running their wiring below the floor of the basement storage, and then up through the floor behind the sliding doors.
Remember, there is an removeable access panel to your breaker box in the long storage compartment/battery box area.

ST

bowtorc

Hi Scott
I think that I was not very clear on my question. I want to run the wire between the fiberglass and the floor above the neck from the 5th wheel hookup so I can get to the storage area. My intent is to drop a cord and connector into the back of the truck similiar to the regular 12 volt cord if I can get it through the same space as the 12 volt cord runs back to the storage area.

thanks
Roger

Scott

Cord

That is not something that I know what to tell you. I will have to get with our guys in the shop. I know that that gooseneck area is a one-piece fiberglass which is adhered to aluminum and steel tubing.
I'm not sure how the wires run.
I'll try to get you an answer.

ST

bowtorc

generator wire.

Hi Scott

Just wondering if you had a chance to check the situation on the gen. wire yet?

Thanks
Roger

Scott

Gen Wire

Here's what I found out - in a nutshell, anything is possible. It just depends on how much trouble you are willing to go to have run the wire up there.

The "roof" of the under gooseneck area is constructed of steel tubes. Pressed up against these steel tubes is the one piece fiberglass that wraps around and forms the front wall of the coach (lower half).
The current wires for the hitch hook up are running through these steel tubes through pre-cut holes through the steel. It is possible to "pull" a wire through the same path as these wires - it will just not be easy.
The only other way to do it would be to remove the fiberglass sheet, which is not only time consuming (you have to remove the cargo door, the hydraulic switch, light, etc.) but will almost assuredly destroy it - and they run the wiring and replace the sheet and components.
So there you are. If you can find someone who is really good at fishing or pulling wires through three turns - that's the way to go.
Otherwise, you could consider just housing the wire in your front storage area until you reach your desination and then simply pulling it out (possibly through the front storage compartment floor) and pluggin it in.

ST

bowtorc

Thanks Scott

That sounds a lot more difficult than I thought. I really appreciate your in-depth explanation. This has saved me a lot of frustration.

Roger