Satellite connections on Bighorn

Martin

Could someone please tell me why there are two satellite connections in the docking compartment of my 2008 Bighorn 3055RL?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
One connector goes directly to the entertainment area. The sencond one is routed to the roof wnd would connect to a permanently mounted satellite dish. In that case you would put a small jumper coax from one connector to the other so your roof dish would go to the entertainment center.

azbound

One connector goes directly to the entertainment area. The sencond one is routed to the roof wnd would connect to a permanently mounted satellite dish. In that case you would put a small jumper coax from one connector to the other so your roof dish would go to the entertainment center.

So how does one know whick connector goes where?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
So how does one know which connector goes where?
You can do the trial and error method. Open a window and run a coax from your dish to your receiver and get your dish pointed and all set up. Disconnect the coax from the receiver and hook it to one of the connection points in the docking center. Connect your receiver to the wall plate in the entertainment center. IF you get nothing, switch the coax outside to the other connector.

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Satellite Hook-up.

I have satellite to the LR (3055). If we decide to go satellite to the BR, I would have to get another receiver for the BR, then just hook it to the satellite outlet in the BR. Correct?

Like this.

Satellite hookup to receiver to DVD player to TV. right?

Jimmyt5

I don't think you have a sat outlet in bedroom, but you are right about everything else.
There is a sat run in bedroom ceiling that is put there in case you put an antenna there. I used it to run to the bedroom TV. It starts along side the other input.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I don't think you have a sat outlet in bedroom, but you are right about everything else.
There is a sat run in bedroom ceiling that is put there in case you put an antenna there. I used it to run to the bedroom TV. It starts along side the other input.

No, everything you need is already there...just some gyrations you have to go thru to get it all to work. It is pretty well documented here on this site. LinnuxKidd did a killer job doing some documentation to help on the install.

randes

I got really tired of the Coby 5.1 system that came with the trailer, so I just ordered a new Onkyo TX-SR606 AV receiver to go in my 2008 3055BH. It comes with an option for Sirius Satellite Radio which I ordered. Has anyone figured out or know of a way to run the cable from the Sirius Antenna to the Entertainment Slide?

TomMar

Retired Texas-South Chapter Leader
Randes;
I put a Sirius radio in my '09 BH 3600RL and used a normal "Home base" antenna. I set it on top of the entertainment cabinet and it works great. No outside connections or holes.

Tom

I got really tired of the Coby 5.1 system that came with the trailer, so I just ordered a new Onkyo TX-SR606 AV receiver to go in my 2008 3055BH. It comes with an option for Sirius Satellite Radio which I ordered. Has anyone figured out or know of a way to run the cable from the Sirius Antenna to the Entertainment Slide?

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Bedroom Satellite Hookup

The outlets in my TV shelf in the bedroom say CABLE and SATELLITE. Please explain that?????

I have it hooked up to the cable outlet and am receiving digital TV through roof antenna. How do I get satellite to the BR? We have the right hand outlet at the sanitary station going to the satellite which is for the Livingroom.

jnbhobe

GB; I think you have 4 connections for sattelite 2 go to the roof for a rooftop dish 1 to the entertainment center and one to the bedroom. There sould also be a cable hookup in the docking center. JON :D :D

Dragoon

The outlets in my TV shelf in the bedroom say CABLE and SATELLITE. Please explain that?????

I have it hooked up to the cable outlet and am receiving digital TV through roof antenna. How do I get satellite to the BR? We have the right hand outlet at the sanitary station going to the satellite which is for the Livingroom.

I don't have the same unit you do, but maybe it's wired the same? And what I did, maybe is what your are asking? I have one satellite receiver. Here's what I did:

1. I have satellite coming in the same way you do in the bay.
2. Cable coming in to the "Cable" input in the bay. Factory had this wired wrong, had to do some digging. Other Satellite feed (from roof) and Cable were reversed, or labels were (must have been built on Friday :eek:)
3. In the LR, there is an unmarked connector behind my Coby receiver. This turns out, feeds the bedroom.
4. I feed the "dish out" through a splitter (other side of splitter to the LR TV) to this un-marked outlet that goes to the BR. (This would be different if using a receiver that has two outputs, see below).
5. In the BR, I feed the output of the "Satellite" (un-marked in our unit, facotry must have been short on labels :D ) to a A/B switch.
6. I feed the output of the "Cable/Antenna" to the other side of the A/B switch.
7. The output of the A/B switch feeds the TV.
8. For Cable viewing, the A/B switch is in the Antenna/Cable Position and the amplifier is turned "off".
9. For Antenna (off air viewing), the A/B switch is in the Antenna/Cable Position and the amplifier (red light) is on.
10. For Satellite viewing, the A/B switch is in the Satellite position.

This may sound crude, but it works. Please note, it is assumed by the factory, according to their wiring, that you will either have cable OR off-air, but "not both" to the BR AND the LR. This does make sense most of the time.

To wire for two satellite receivers it is assumed by the factory (I am assuming) that you would use one of the new receivers that feeds two different signals as opposed to two separate receivers. Dish does this, unknown about DirectTV. Thus, you would still only need one feed as explained above. Yes, you could control the other reciever from the BR with the receiver in the LR. See Dish for explanation of how this works and how the remote would work even though you are in the BR and the receiver is in the LR.

The LR is wired much the same way. If I muddied your waters, I apologize, DW says I do that to her a lot. Hope this helps...

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
??

:confused:
Yep! I'll have to read your post a few more times. What you are saying, if I figured it out correctly was that I may not need another receiver for the BR satellite? I am rather confused right now....it will take time for me to map this out. Thanks, though.

Dragoon

Here's a link for a Dish Standard Receiver http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/pdf/product_brochures/dish_322.pdf which might explain better what I'm talking about as to the receiver you could use. Pay particular attention to the remote descriptions. We have only 1 receiver, this means that one of us watches Dish, the other either off-air/cable or DVD/VCR. Sometimes we just both read :cool:.

Since we're a Dish customer it's easier to talk about. However, that being said, I'm sure that DirectTV has similar devices. You'll have to make your own choices in that regard, plenty of folks on both sides of the fence. In any event you CAN do what I think you are trying to accomplish provided your coach is wired the same as ours, and I don't know why it wouldn't be. Hope this gives you a little more help, certainly more to devour, eh?? :D

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
How do I get satellite to the BR?

There are 4 satelite connections in the docking station of your 3055. 1 for the living area, one for the BR and 2 to the roof area for a roof mounted dish. I identified my satelite connections by trial and error as previously mentioned. You can use one reciever in the LR to feed the BR without a second reciever. I use a coaxial jumper from the "out to TV" of the reciever to the cable connection in the LR. This will back feed to the BR cable jack. Be sure the antennea booster is off as this will destroy the signal. Hope this helps.

rjr6150

We do the same thing Superduty08 does and works pretty good. Our dish receiver has the UHF remote and were able to change channels from the bedroom with it. Waiting to see how the new V Qube works out with the multiple feeds for two satellites and capable of receiving all three satellites. Wanting to upgrade to HD like we have a home.

Dragoon

There are 4 satelite connections in the docking station of your 3055. 1 for the living area, one for the BR and 2 to the roof area for a roof mounted dish. I identified my satelite connections by trial and error as previously mentioned. You can use one reciever in the LR to feed the BR without a second reciever. I use a coaxial jumper from the "out to TV" of the reciever to the cable connection in the LR. This will back feed to the BR cable jack. Be sure the antennea booster is off as this will destroy the signal. Hope this helps.

H-m-m-m, very interesting. Must be an update for '09?? My 2008 BH 3400RL has 4 connections, 1 is a Phone, 1 is Cable, 1 is Roof Satellite, 1 is Satellite input to LR. Must be high-def wiring? Do you also have HDMI to the BR & LR? or RCA & "S" connections?? This would definately be an improvement for going to hi-def. Also, the last time I looked on Heartland's site the wiring diagram was the same as I've just described, hopefully when they get back to work on Mon, they can post a new wiring diagram? And, yes, you are absolutely right on about the antenna booster! The back feed you describe would mean that you would have the same thing on both TV's at the same time, would not work at my house during football season :D

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Well......

Right now the LR TV can have ANTENNA or Satellite the way it is set up. I haven't looked at the HDDVR to see if there is an open "out to TV" plug available. So what you are saying is that I can run another cable line to the cable connection on the TV (don't know if it is available either). The way this Olevia is mounted, it is so diffiult to get to the plugins. The bracket is really in the way. So let's say I have an open spot on the receiver, open spot on the TV (both should say cable). Leave BR in cable spot, turn off booster. I should be able to change channels and have satellite in the BR and LR at the same time, and can watch different channels? What do I do about remotes? Can I purchase a universal one for the BR?

jnbhobe

Dragoon ; I think your right , my 09 BH has 1 phone 1 cable 1 satellite to the bedroom 1 satellite to the entertainment center 2 to the roof coiled up by the speaker for roof top satellite. There is also wiring diagram on the UDC door. JON ;) ;)