How to Drain Fresh water tank 2019 Bighorn 3970RD

rrrdbw

Hi everyone,

We have been full time living in 3970RD for 3 months purchased new. We have city hook up. I filled fresh water tank 2 months ago or so 2/3 full on days when the city water connection freezes up so we can still have water.
Last couple of days we have been turning the pump on in the morning due to below freezing weather. We noticed tonight that there are flakes of algae looking flakes. Most likely caused by the fresh water holding tank.

How do i drain the fresh water holding tank so I can sanitize? The only way i know of right now is to run the pump, turn on all water to drain it empty. Might take a while since its 3/4 full. Is there a faster way?

After I drain any recommendation on how to sanitize, i have been watching youtube video's using bleach. I do not know how I can put bleach solution in holding tank without so sort of apparatus i need to purchase,

Thank you in advance for the assistance.

Last edited by a moderator:

ram22

My North Trail has a 1/4 turn drain valve hanging on a blue water line behind the entry door stairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrailCreek

Find the low point drain. Its a pipe/tube hanging down with a valve on it. Usually under the tank.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

danemayer

In freezing weather, you may not want to spill 50 gallons of water onto the ground under and around the trailer.

Your water pump probably delivers around 3 gallons/minute. 50 gallons will go down the sewer in about 17 minutes.

Page 22 of our owner-written Water Systems Guide describes how to sanitize the fresh tank and how to introduce bleach when you have a 4-way Anderson Valve.
Fresh Water TankHeartland recommends a solution of 1 gallon of water and ¼ cup of household bleach for each 15 gallons of tank capacity. A 90 gallon tank would take a mix of 6 gallons of water and 1 ½ cups of bleach.
1. Add the recommended solution to the fresh tank and complete filling the tank with fresh water.
2. With pump on, open all faucets to release trapped air. Close the faucets and allow the pump to pressurize the system.
3. Let stand for 3 hours.
4. Drain and flush with fresh water.
5. A solution of 5 gallons of water with 1 quart vinegar may be used to eliminate excessive chlorine taste. Allow the solution to agitate in the fresh tank by vehicle motion. Do this over a period of several days if possible.
6. Drain the tank again and refill with fresh water.
If you have a gravity fill fresh tank, the bleach solution may be poured into the gravity fill opening. If you have a 4-Way Anderson Valve, you can fill your water hose with bleach before connecting it to the water inlet and city water faucet and use the pressurized water from the faucet to push the bleach in.

In sub-freezing weather, you need to be aware that you can experience a freeze-up in the water feed line between fresh tank and water pump. There's water in the drain tubing for the fresh tank, below the coroplast, but above the valve. In a hard freeze, the ice can wick up into the tee, blocking the line. You either want to put heat tape on the drain, or insulate, or both, or perhaps push it up above the coroplast so it stays a bit warmer.

Our Water Systems Winter Usage Guide provides tips and techniques to get through sub-freezing weather while keeping the water running.

ram22

How come some of these Posts and Comments have LIKE and some do not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk