Reason to have a water filter!

GK2018

We installed a triple canister RV water filter after using the blue camco ones for several years and it was well worth it! Here is a picture of a new one micron filter compared to the one I just replaced after having it in the canister for less than a month. I can only imagine what the water heater and other items would say if we weren't running a filter! The RV water filter store is definitely the place to go for a filtration system!

Attachments

• 20190224_072755.jpg
    20190224_072755.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 226

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Share the location and water source (municipal, well, etc) for comparison perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GK2018

Share the location and water source (municipal, well, etc) for comparison perhaps?

It's a municipal water source from the city of Anadarko in Oklahoma. The filter was put in three weeks ago and I noticed the water pressure was terrible and my GPM on my display was really low so I figured I'd take a look at the filter and sure enough it was full of silt. I put a reusable 5 micron in this go around so we'll see how it holds up compared to the single use 1 micron.

GK2018

Is 1 Micron sediment the first filter? Do you use a Carbon filter for taste as well?
The 1 micron sediment is the first filter, the second is a metal trap filter and then carbon filter for taste. Depending on how the new change goes with using the 5 micron filter in place of the 1 micron I might forgo the carbon filter and run a 1 micron filter first, a 5 micron second, a metal trap third then get an under the sink carbon filter for taste. The metal trap filters are fairly expensive so I'm trying to protect it from all that sediment and at the same time prevent buying bottled water to drink due to potential bad tasting water. I was pretty surprised to see it catch all that stuff in the water after just three weeks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

danemayer

RVWATERFILTERSTORE.com recommends this order:

Filter Cartridge Order
i. SEDIMENT FILTER - any system with one or more sediment cartridges, the sediment will go in the first canister, that is, closest to the input fitting. This will protect the downstream filters from getting prematurely plugged with sediment. In triple systems where you have two sediment filters, put the 5 micron filter first, followed by the 1 micron, followed by the carbon filter. Doulton RIO 2000 is also a sediment filter.
ii. CARBON FILTER – This filter comes immediately after the last sediment filter. If your system has two carbon cartridges, it doesn’t matter what order they go in.
iii. SPECIALTY RESIN FILTERS – These filters should go last in the
system, following the last carbon filter.

GK2018

Is that saying that the metal trap filter would go after the carbon filter? For example my current setup is 5 micron filter first, metal trap second, carbon filter third but instead is that saying it should be 5 micron filter first, carbon filter second, metal trap third? I thought carbon was the last filter, with sediment filters being first and anything else being in between those two?

danemayer

Is that saying that the metal trap filter would go after the carbon filter? For example my current setup is 5 micron filter first, metal trap second, carbon filter third but instead is that saying it should be 5 micron filter first, carbon filter second, metal trap third? I thought carbon was the last filter, with sediment filters being first and anything else being in between those two?

I don't know about metal trap filters, but you might give a call to the RVWaterFilterStore to get more info.

GK2018

Looking at their three filter system is states that the carbon filter should be last.
Canister install.

Peace
Dave
That's what I figured as well, but the instructions also say that a special resin filter goes last and that it follows the carbon filter. So im not sure which order it should be based on the instructions. I think it'll depend on whether or not a metal trap filter falls under the "resin filter" category. I'll give them a call here in a few and see what their recommendation is.

GK2018

So RV water filter store just emailed me back and they said the correct order is Sediment first, Carbon second and Metal trap third and they also said that the metal trap is considered a "Resin filter". Looks like I need to go switch the Carbon and Metal trap filter around.

mlpeloquin

So RV water filter store just emailed me back and they said the correct order is Sediment first, Carbon second and Metal trap third and they also said that the metal trap is considered a "Resin filter". Looks like I need to go switch the Carbon and Metal trap filter around.

If you purchase through the RV water filter store, you get a 15% discount. Replace your filters with larger filters so you do not have the change them as often. I finally did and installed then behind the UDC on the hinged wall. I also mounted the water softener inside the storage bay. It can be regenerated in place. For the filters the first 0.5 micron filter, then carbon filter, and a third metal trap. In front, in the UDC is the UV filter and in the storage bay, second in line is the water softener.
IMG_1567.JPG
IMG_1569.JPG

GK2018

If you purchase through the RV water filter store, you get a 15% discount. Replace your filters with larger filters so you do not have the change them as often. I finally did and installed then behind the UDC on the hinged wall. I also mounted the water softener inside the storage bay. It can be regenerated in place. For the filters the first 0.5 micron filter, then carbon filter, and a third metal trap. In front, in the UDC is the UV filter and in the storage bay, second in line is the water softener.
View attachment 60869
View attachment 60870
Wow, that's a pretty good looking setup right there! I attached a photo of our "work in progress". Ours doesn't look near as good as yours but it's at least functional at the moment lol. I'd like to get a water softener in the future but haven't gotten around to that yet, too many other projects need finishing first and the weather needs to warm up some more. I almost purchased the jumbo canisters but opted for the smaller ones due to price and the size being smaller so as not to take up too much room in our outdoor kitchen area, but living in it full time it may have been a better move to go with the bigger canisters.
44e8551af3579bd35e48d02de024defe.jpg

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Wow! That's some set up. Mine is rather primitive, with just two 10" filters, a pressure regulator and a water meter sitting in a tote under the kitchen slide all summer. I did add a digital battery meter on my tank flush line, just so I know how much water I put back in after dumping.

Attachments

• Revised Filter System.jpg
    Revised Filter System.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 69

GK2018

I really like that rubbermaid idea, you can just sit it on the ground hook up and when your done throw a lid on it, stick it in the storage bay and call it a day. Not to mention it's protected from the outdoor elements. That's a pretty slick idea and its clean looking.

mlpeloquin

Wow! That's some set up. Mine is rather primitive, with just two 10" filters, a pressure regulator and a water meter sitting in a tote under the kitchen slide all summer. I did add a digital battery meter on my tank flush line, just so I know how much water I put back in after dumping.

If you are sitting for extended periods of time, the tote is great. I got tired of setting up and tearing down each day crossing the country. Three months convinced me to do a permanent install. It is not how fancy it is, but how functional it is.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I also have quick-connect fittings on almost all of the connection points from the pedestal to the UDC inlets.

GK2018

I also have quick-connect fittings on almost all of the connection points from the pedestal to the UDC inlets.

Quick connect fittings now that's a pretty good idea! I never thought of those, that would make hooking up much easier. What kind would you recommend getting?

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I use 3/4” garden hose cam locks from tractor supply at all my connection points

30557160093261a110f08457138f8351.jpg