Mini Breaker keeps tripping and resetting while on generator

JoeTheBad

This is related to a 2017 Cyclone 4250. There is a 50-amp CB between the Battery Cutoff switch and the batteries (2 6-volts). Sometimes when the generator runs, the breaker trips and resets every minute or so. Sometimes it runs perfect and the batteries charge just fine. I have replaced it with new 50-amp breaker and it did the same thing. Replaced that with another one and it worked fine. I also noticed that the breaker gets fairly warm as do the lead wires to/from the breaker.

Now BEFORE the CB above started tripping, the 50-amp CB on the DC busbar did the same thing (the CB where the converter comes in and then leads off to the battery cutoff switch). I replaced that 50-amper and it hasn't bothered me since. So now this upstream CB works fine, but the 50-amp CB downstream to the batts is acting up.

I checked the converter IAW Progressive Dynamics troubleshooting guide using multimeter, etc., so I am certain its not the converter.

It may be in my head but it seems that the higher the charge on the battery, the less likely this happens, or the less often it trips (every few minutes instead of a steady trip/reset)

I had the two stock 12-volts in before this started. Only after installing the 6-volts did it start. Unrelated?

Just bad luck with breakers???? I have heard the QC on these things may not be the greatest when they are manufactured.

Any wise words are welcome.

danemayer

Hi JoeTheBad,

If I'm following, you replaced the manual-reset mini-breaker on the buss bar and that works ok now. You've replaced the auto-reset breaker between batteries and cutoff switch, but that one continues to trip frequently.

In general, as voltage drops, amperage goes up, which can trip the breakers.

But if this happens only on generator power, it invites the question of what's different between shore power and generator power. It also invites the question of why there would be a difference in how the generator affects the Power Converter output.

As to your thought that this may happen more frequently if the batteries are low, that raises the question of how low. I believe deep cycle batteries can be damaged by letting them go too low.

And this may be a silly question, but are your 6 volt batteries wired in series to deliver 12V? The old 12V batteries would have been wired in parallel.

Things to do: 1) take your batteries to an auto parts store or service center and have them load tested to see if they're ok.
2) use a volt meter to check voltage on each of the hot legs on the backside of the main circuit breaker panel. Check voltage on shore power and again on generator power. The on-board Onan generator usually provides exactly 120V AC on each leg. Shore power may vary from that, higher or lower.
3) if you find something that might be the cause and correct it, replace both mini-breakers again. Once they start tripping, they get weak and trip more easily going forward.

Our Electrical User Guide describes how everything goes together and has photos and diagrams. You may find it helpful.

JoeTheBad

I should not say it doesn't happen on shore power. It never did and I've been dry camping for 4 months. Two 6 volts are wired in series to produce 12V. They are about a month old. System says they charge constantly at 13.2 volts from the Progressive Dynamics PD9080 (80-amp unit).

Prior to today the batts were only charging up to about 11.8 volts. Now when the Gen is off, batts are well above 12.2 volts. Regarding the current 50 amp CB between cutoff and batt, when I first installed it and fired up the gen, it did the trip/reset dance.

Frustrated I bought an 80 amp CB, installed it, and it did the same thing.

NOW, most recently today, I reinstalled the same 50 amp CB but paid close attention to the leads. The "Bat" end leads to the battery and the "aux" end leads back to the cutoff switch. And thiis is exactly how the 50-amp converter CB is on the DC busbar...."aux" is the converter input side and "bat" is the output from the busbar going to the cutoff switch.

I guess it DOES make a difference how these little buggers are installed?

But it that IS the case, how does the battery feed the busbar in the opposite direction when no shore-power or generator is connected? Are the CBs reversible?

Beats me what's going on.

danemayer

If there's a polarity to the mini circuit breakers, it's news to me. And I agree that power flows both directions on the manual reset breaker on the buss bar.

Prior to today the batts were only charging up to about 11.8 volts.

That seems pretty significant.

When the battery charge is low, the Power Converter will output 13.6V DC or even up to 14.0V. When the batteries are charged up, output drops to 13.2V.

Even though only a month old, you might get the batteries checked.

carl.swoyer

I should not say it doesn't happen on shore power. It never did and I've been dry camping for 4 months. Two 6 volts are wired in series to produce 12V. They are about a month old. System says they charge constantly at 13.2 volts from the Progressive Dynamics PD9080 (80-amp unit).

Prior to today the batts were only charging up to about 11.8 volts. Now when the Gen is off, batts are well above 12.2 volts. Regarding the current 50 amp CB between cutoff and batt, when I first installed it and fired up the gen, it did the trip/reset dance.

Frustrated I bought an 80 amp CB, installed it, and it did the same thing.

NOW, most recently today, I reinstalled the same 50 amp CB but paid close attention to the leads. The "Bat" end leads to the battery and the "aux" end leads back to the cutoff switch. And thiis is exactly how the 50-amp converter CB is on the DC busbar...."aux" is the converter input side and "bat" is the output from the busbar going to the cutoff switch.

I guess it DOES make a difference how these little buggers are installed?

But it that IS the case, how does the battery feed the busbar in the opposite direction when no shore-power or generator is connected? Are the CBs reversible?

Beats me what's going on.
When I had six volt batteries I recall wiring them in so I had one 12 volt battery. If you wire it the other way you only have a 6 volt battery. Google it.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk