Heavier Struts for Bed

'Lil Guy'

We upgraded our matress to a 13" foam model and now the struts won't hold the bed up plus it's heavier to lift. Has anyone changed the struts to stronger ones? The matress only weighs about 50lbs. Thanks in advance for any input on this subject.

WillyBill

We upgraded our matress to a 13" foam model and now the struts won't hold the bed up plus it's heavier to lift. Has anyone changed the struts to stronger ones? The matress only weighs about 50lbs. Thanks in advance for any input on this subject.

What would be wrong with just adding a third strut? Available at any auto parts store.

WB

Chippendale

Go to the gym, work out, build up your strength and cut a broom handle to size to hold it up with after you are able to lift it. Just a suggestion. :D

'Lil Guy'

I have master lift ML34-80 on it now. I'm going to order the ML 34-100 and see if that solves the issue
I have 2, one on each side and these should just snap in with existing hardware. Hoping others with the BH have done this and could recommend the right weight. I'm guessing that an extra 20lbs per side will do it.
Thanks for the help George.lol

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We have a residential mattress and upgraded the struts without issue.

Sent from my PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

I need to do the same thing.
‘Lil Guy’ let us know the part numbers of what you use.
I presently have the Master Lift ML 34-80 on the bed.
I was thinking of the ML 34-110

Hockster

'Lil Guy'

I'm going with the ML 34-100 and see if that does it. I've heard of others using too much and the bed wants to lift by itself. Yea, mine came with the 80 like yours. Any of these should just be a plug and play swap out. I should have it on by Tuesday and I'll post back. Just thinking 40lbs more of lift should do the job of holding up the bed.

Last edited:

'Lil Guy'

Just finished intalling the 100# struts on my ueen bed with 13" gel mattress. Lifts easier but not easy enough for wife. Holds it up bet not sure how solidly. Will probably fo to the next size ujp but the 120# is probobly the ticket here.
So, IMO the 100# replacement for the 84# that came on it isn't enough. Hope this lhelps anyone trying to fix this issue. Later and have a great day.

jbeletti

Just finished intalling the 100# struts on my ueen bed with 13" gel mattress. Lifts easier but not easy enough for wife. Holds it up bet not sure how solidly. Will probably fo to the next size ujp but the 120# is probobly the ticket here.
So, IMO the 100# replacement for the 84# that came on it isn't enough. Hope this lhelps anyone trying to fix this issue. Later and have a great day.

If you go up another size, bring all the other shocks with you to Goshen. I might need a set of heavier ones once I plop a Denver mattress down.

'Lil Guy'

Just ordered the ML34-115 to replace the 100 size. Seems I'm ordering these things like I do buying RV's, 1 LB at a time till I get it right. Should be a good selection when I'm through.lol

I ordered the ML34-110, I’ll see how that works.
This all depends on the mattress size, & weight, so there will be individual differences.

Hockster

'Lil Guy'

You're exactly rigght on that assumption. I thought about the 110 but went on dwiththe 115 size. I really don;t dwant more than I need forthe bed. Let me know how the 110 works. An additional 60lbs of force should dodd dit for you.

My ML 34-110 struts arrived and are in service.
They work great, just the right ones.
We have a Queen mattress, a Serta 12” memory/gel foam bed in a box from Sam’s club.
I realize a King would require a little more strength than the Queen, so judge accordingly.
When you beef up your struts, check the screws that fasten the ball end to the bed, I was missing one screw in one position, so had to add one.
With more push from upgraded struts it is important that everything is well secured or you will tear the ball bracket off the bed.

Hockster