window shade fell off wall.

Terryd91

We noticed after our last trip that one of our window shades had fallen off. The screws do not have a backer and were just in the luian wall board so it didn't take much for them to pull out. Has anyone had this happen before? I don't think a toggle will fit because i don't think the wall is deep enough. I considered soaking the wall board with penetrating epoxy and using a bigger screw but im not sure if that would even work. Anyone have a brilliant idea for me to try?

Dmetcalf

We noticed after our last trip that one of our window shades had fallen off. The screws do not have a backer and were just in the luian wall board so it didn't take much for them to pull out. Has anyone had this happen before? I don't think a toggle will fit because i don't think the wall is deep enough. I considered soaking the wall board with penetrating epoxy and using a bigger screw but im not sure if that would even work. Anyone have a brilliant idea for me to try?

I have used 3/16X 1/2 in. Rivets. I think that would work with what you need it to hold.

Terryd91

I have used 3/16X 1/2 in. Rivets. I think that would work with what you need it to hold.

Didn't think of that. The shade and top valance don't weight much, but the wall board in the xlt is like paper. Ill have to look at some different rivets, might work.

rhodies1

Look at using Gyproc inserts,they come in plastic or metal ...screw them into the existing hole and attach window shade

mlpeloquin

Gyproc inserts maybe too long since he thinks the wall isn't deep enough for a toggle. I would try an aluminum rivet. At least if it fails in the future, he could always try the Gyproc inserts, or put a thin metal shim and rivet it in four corners then screw or rivet the shade bracket in.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have used the short, 1” long, red plastic mollies to attach things to the walls. Just be careful drilling the pilot holes. Wrap a piece of tape around the bit as a depth guide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NP_Chief

I just put towel holders and TP holder in the bathroom this past weekend... I used the plastic wall anchors from Lowe's. I wouldn't do chin-ups on the towel bar, but they worked good.

wdk450

I have regularly used these short, fat, anchors for screws all around the trailer including the stairs handrail with good success:
metal wall anchor.jpg I also use these metal anchor brackets on drawers and window valences to get a more solid construction:
metal corner bracket.jpg

I also used this hardware on the large kitchen counter vertical cabinet that reaches to the ceiling, that pulled out from the wall on my rig

Last edited:

Gary521

I have used hollow wall anchors. These spread behind the thin luan. It is a little difficult as there is foam in the wall so proceed slowly but they do work.

Terryd91

its on an exterior wall on the slide, so i only have the depth of the stud.

I like the rivet idea, might give that a try this weekend if i doesn't get dropped off for the roof issue.

Thanks for the ideas, ill everyone know what works.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
These switch plates and the wood escutcheons for my overhead bedroom reading lamps modification were attached with the 1" plastic mollies. I had to do a similar attachment in the living room slide when I replaced the switch for the overhead lamps there. The wall is thicker than that and the foam core helps with retention. The wife painted the white plastic conduit (tape mounted) a light beige color that matches the wallpaper after these photos.

Attachments

• Reading Lamp Switch.jpg
    Reading Lamp Switch.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Reading Lamp 1.jpg
    Reading Lamp 1.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 21