31BHDD Shower Pan Drain Issue

Kintzles

Hello,

My wife and I bought a Northtrail 31BHDD in October. We have gone on 3 short weekend trips so far. On our last trip a taking a shower, when I stepped out of the tub, I stepped in to a puddle of water. What I found to be the problem was the drain locking ring snapped because of the flexing in the tub due to me or my wife stepping on or near the drain.

Has anyone experienced this same issue and come up with a fix to either the drain pipes or reinforcing the bottom of the tub so that it does not flex so much.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Steven

danemayer

HI Steven,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. It seems like I've read a couple of posts over the past year or two where people have reinforced their tubs/showers. I expect you'll get some advice shortly.

kaneferris

I had the same issue with my 2020 31BHDD after two trips. Turned out the be the connection from the drain to the P trap had snapped. I figured it was movement while driving and had the dealer replace it. Next trip out, same thing. I decided to tackle it myself and replaced it with thicker PVC from Lowes and all new threaded couplings. No problems after three trips but I have slid a pan underneath just in case and I check it every trip.

pedirob

Yes, I had the same problem in my NT 24bhs. Even though the tub is supported, there's a cutout around the drain, and the area near the drain still flexes quite a bit when you step on it.

I ended up fabricating some additional support with a 2x4 so the tub would not flex when I stand in it. The plumbing parts were hard to find; they are mobile home parts and many stores don't carry those. The 3rd Home Depot I visited carried them.

For more discussion and photos of my repair, see this thread:

https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...lowout-massive-p-trap-failure?highlight=24bhs

Now I check the drain on every trip! No problems so far.

Rob