Storage Door Latches

Calvin

Has anyone had issues w/ latches? I've got 2 on my new unit that don't work well at all. Even when you push in on the door to make it reach the metal lip it hardly catches. I've tightened and adjusted...not much help.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
If you're talking about the metal cylinder locks, make sure the inner metal lip that the latch goes behind is not bent. Ours was and we had to make some minor adjustments with a pair of pliers and a hammer (gently, and with a rag over the lip). I think that the levers sometimes don't get put in the right position and when they get turned and forced (think sales people) it bends the thin metal lip. Ours our fine now and we haven't had any more problems since we straightened the inner lip where it was bowed in.
If you're talking about the door catches for when the doors are open, sorry, no help as we haven't had any issues with those..

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I had one on an upper cabinet door in the kitchen area that I thought was closing tightly but evidently wasn't. After traveling to a CG about 180 miles away, I started putting out the kitchen slide and noticed some resistence. I then saw what looked like a door falling and heard a crash on the floor. It was the cabinet door that I had pulled out of the cabinet facing (boy, those slide motors are strong!). It had come unlatched during the drive down. A few toothpicks and woodfill later and everything was good as new (with the requisite adjustment of the latch tension, of course). Glad nobody saw that happen:rolleyes:.

Netem

I am trying to get in the habit of looking at those cabinet doors before opening the kitchen slide. I caught a door on the old 5ver not a pretty site.

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
Netem, the same thing happened to us in our 3600RL. The entertainment slide hung up on an open upper cabinet door. The door did not move, but the repair on the slide was over $800. That would not happen again to us. DW went to Home Depot and purchase child proof cabinet locks, and now all cabinets remain closed. Oh, a second cabinet clasp was added to the cabinet causing the "wreck".