2 electric heaters

bigdob24

I’ve got 2 heaters, one in the living room and one in the bedroom.
Right now at home I’ve only got 30amp service, and if both are on at the same time they will shut off after a few min.
They don’t blow a breaker so must internally since low voltage and shut down.
When we get out and enjoy it next month we usually hook up to 50 amp , can I expect both to run or is that just the way it will always work
BT

bigdob24

There just the stock fire place heaters 1500/750watt
Seems like I read somewhere that others have experienced this.
As soon as I get hooked to 50 amp I’ll see what happens.
I would think on 50 amp they would be on different legs
Thanks for the info
BT

CDN

B and B
Hello,

Most 50 Amp RV have the electric water heater, fridge, AC 1, fireplace, convertor, TV's, on one leg of the 50 amps. The other 50 amp leg is the Washer, Dryer, 2nd or 3rd AC. When I use a heater in the bedroom and have 50 amp I use the washer outlet that is a dedicated circuit to run this. I did swing the water heater to the dryer outlet breaker in my Bighorn to balance the load better based upon our use. We don't have a washer or dryer.

I hope this helps you with your loading

Brian

Todster

Just throwing this out there, but even on 30 amps you should be ok with the heaters. Assuming most other things are off.

Have you tried both on low or one low and one high yet? Sounds like there’s something more to the low voltage side of things....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lou_and_Bette

We winter on our daughter’s property in coastal Mississippi, where we have our own 50A power supply. Since the weather is pretty mild, we tend to use space heaters most of the time and only occasionally fire up the furnace. We run the Fireplace, 1500 watt, and a 1500 watt space heater in the bedroom, usually at the same time, without any problems.

Gaffer

The fireplace should be on its own circuit, so you should be okay even on 30 amps with no other loads.

RoadJunkie

You indicated that the breakers do NOT trip; Are the thermostats on the heaters set at high enough or at maximum? Perhaps the thermostats are set too low and when they reach the set point they turn the heaters off.

sengli

We were doing the same last year at a state park, with only 30 amp service. The breaker finally did trip, but not before the "hot" prong on the plug started to melt. And the socket in the power post was smoking, and burnt!

bigdob24

Thanks for all the advise.
Ill do some testing when I get to Florida at the end of the month and hooked up to 50amp.
As I don’t have a washer dryer will see if I need to move the break to balance the load.
Ill have all month to get it figured out, but I’m hoping I don’t need any heat after this winter.
BT