which frig ?

rwdennis

Hi all , looking to be a Road Warrior owner soon , which frig works better , the home (120v) version or the 12v/gas version ?
Ive never had a 120v frig in a rv , looks like it may be a little troublesome . All thoughts and ideas welcome ..

danemayer

Based on reading posts on this forum for quite a few years, I would say both Dometic and Norcold gas absorption refrigerators, at least the larger ones, have had way more problems than the residential units.

avvidclif

Do you want one that is a fires hazard and costs $3500 to replace or one that isn't and costs less than $1k to replace. Takes 1 hour to cool down vs 24 hr.

Oregon_Camper

Love our gas frig. Never once have we had any issue with it. We boondock every summer for ~21 days and it works great.

If I had my choice, I would never had a residential refrigerator in our RV, but we camp in remote locations about 80% of the time, and only in RV resorts (with power) around 20% of the time.

Some will say to turn off gas frig while towing, but I never have and never will. We bring our RV home from storage the day before we leave and turn on refrig (AC power) to get it cooled down, then when we pull out, the gas kicks on.

ksucats

We have the residential fridge in our Landmark and have had no problems with it albeit, we don't boondock. The roads have taken their toll on the pins that hold the shelves up though. We don't use the in-the-door water or ice maker so we have not had to worry about the water line (which runs outside of the coach for a bit on ours) freezing. On our prior unit, we had the gas/electric and it worked great for the 10 years we had the coach. So, I'd say go with the one that best suits your camping style.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We've had Dometic refrigerators in all the prior trailers and had little trouble from them. Like many others, we traveled with the fridge on using propane and no issues.

Now, after using the residential Insignia, I doubt we'll ever go back. The ease and convenience of the larger fridge, using the inverter for power when on the road, is great.

We NEVER boondock, so that's not a consideration.

david-steph2018

Decide how you are going to camp, boondocking or in a park all the time.
In our old Laredo we had the smaller gas/electric type fridge, and did not have any issues with it. Now in the Road Warrior 427 we have the residential 120 v fridge. When you travel you can turn the residential on by using the inverter and it will operate. We went with the residential because we wanted the bigger fridge since we are going full time here soon
Our unit does not have an icemaker so we had not had issues like some have with the water lines freezing.

BLR

We have a residential frig in our Cyclone and we mainly boondock..
No problems and we have enough food for 3+ weeks

Sent from BLR Logistics

Oregon_Camper

We have a residential frig in our Cyclone and we mainly boondock..
No problems and we have enough food for 3+ weeks

But...how much solar do you have to keep batteries charged to power inverter? Or...hours of running generator?

rwdennis

Thanks everyone , i do boondock about as much as i use a hookup , so im thinking the gas/12v is a better way for me , i just going to be getting my first "big " trailer so ive never had a 120 frig in a rv , doesnt seem like a good choice for me , thanks again !