Adding AC Receptacle with USB Jacks

wgoins04

I am wanting to replace a couple of the outlets in our 2019 Heartand Wilderness 3125BH with outlets that have built in USB plugs. Is this the same as doing so in a house or are there issues that would come about with doing this in a camper? I am fairly handy around the house but want to make sure I’m not missing something first.

Thanks in advance.

danemayer

Re: USB Outlets

Hi wgoins04,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

I think others have installed outlets with USB, so I expect you'll get some feedback shortly on how their installs went.

Gaffer

RV outlets are not that easy to wire. They are not the same as the ones in your house. Buy one to play with the method to connect the wires. Before you remove an existing one.

jerryjay11

Easier way to do it is use a USB wall tap just google "USB wall tap" and you'll find many different versions. They just plug into your existing outlets.

CDN

B and B
One issue is there is no electrical box for trailer outlets, they are a piercing style right on the wire. One other problem is wall depth and not having enough room for the boxes. Pop the cover off and check prior to starting to make sure you can install a box and have enough loose wire to make connections.

oulet.jpg19-2416-2.jpg

travis_g

I’ve done it. I used a shallow old work blue plastic box from HD. It is a PITA to work the wire in there but I did install 4 of them and they work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk