Winter use

kd5dea

What do you do if you still want to use the trailer during the winter but store it between trips? We full-timed last winter and didn't have to worry about it. This winter we might use it some but I don't want to have to winterize it, drain, and repeat.

Can I just drain the water lines, keep the faucets open? Possibly blow the lines out with air?

Any details on how to ensure the lines are drained in the 3912 would also be great!

Thanks!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Depending on how cold it gets where you use your Cyclone you should be able to get by blowing out the lines with air . If you have the ice maker option, I would suggest winterizing that and shutting off the valve to it for the winter. You'll still get some water settling in the lines even after blowing them out unless you leave the air going for a while.Don't forget the traps when you close it up, they need anti freeze too. We used to use a trailer during the winter but didn't use the water system. We brought several 5 gal. containers to get through the weekend or we could fill as needed from the campground supply. We kept a 30 cup coffee pot going for hot water and a gallon jug on the counter for drinking. We rinsed the toilet (use for #1 only) with windshield washer solvent. We routed a sink drain outside to a bucket by adapting the sink drain to a garden hose. It was pretty cozy actually. Especially a big fire while it snowed and some hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps.

beardedone

Beardedone
We just about do the same as Ray with a few minor deviations. We use a thermos type pump pot for hot water to wash our hands etc. We found a plastic pot that fits nicely in the sink and just to wash our hands there. Same for the kitchen sinks and it works great. But if you intend to use your water system in the winter make sure you drain the hot water tank every time.

jpmorgan37

KD5DEA:
If you have power available, keep a small ceramic heater going inside and have some type of heat in the basement area. A lamp with a 60 watt bulb should do the trick. I am assuming that you are in Texas. We spent the last five winters in TX and did see it get down in the teen's a few times, but that wasn't often and the above should take care of that without having to do a full winterizing. Leave your sink cabinet doors open in the kitchen and bathroom and this should keep the lines and traps from freezing. Now, if you don't have power available, forget everything I said and follow Ray's advice.

John

TXBobcat

Fulltime
KD5DEA
How is Plano.. we use to live in Rowlett, until they started building GB Turnpike through our property.

We are going to be in Melissa for Nov and Dec. Maybe we can get a cup of coffee.

I blew out the water lines, emptyed the water heater, place a small heater in the cabin and a 100w light bulb in the basement..

I forgot to clear out the water pump and it froze. Otherwise I had nothing else freeze on me. If you have a water filter I would be sure it was emptied and left open during the cold period.

kd5dea

Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't have power available since it is in storage at an RV storage place, so I'll see if I can figure out how to drain the hot water heater and blow out the lines. Do you just blow compressed air into the city water connection? Is there a bypass for the hot water heater on the 3912? No ice maker, so no worries there.

Yea, it doesn't get real cold here, last winter was very mild, but we can get down below freezing every now and then.

Bob, I live and work in Plano. If you're going to be in town sometime, email me in advance and I'll send you my cell phone number. There's a burger place here close to my work if you'd like to meet for lunch, or meet earlier for a cup of coffee.

Thanks!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
KD5DEA
I just use this to connect to the city water connection. Most that travel have an air compressor. If you can reduce the pressure to a max of about 15psi, screw this into the city water on the trailer and connect the compressor. Let it run while you go in and open each of the water faucets to clear out the water in the line. As I said earlier don't forget to clear the line and pump of the water pump. I forgot it and it broke.

I am surprised that the storage facility does not have at least a 120v service. If you have something like a Honda Generator you can take it out with you and use it to run the compressor to winterize your trailer.

Take the Anode out of the HW heater, flush out the tank and leave the anode out until you get ready to travel next year. Put the Pink Antifreeze in the drains and the toilet.

That is about all you can do especially if you don't have any power in the area.

Look forward to meeting you if we can.

Attachments

• Line blow out device.jpg
    Line blow out device.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

jpmorgan37

Screw this Blow out plug into the city water connection. You can get them at Walmart, Camping World and most RV dealers. A small 12 volt air compressor works great. Low volume and doesn't build up a lot of pressure in a hurry. I open one faucet at a time and this gets those lines blown out. Don't forget the toilet and the toilet spray. Drain the HW heater first and put it on bypass. That along with anti freeze in the traps should take care of most of it and it only takes a few minutes.

John

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Don't forget the toilet and the toilet spray. Drain the HW heater first and put it on bypass. That along with anti freeze in the traps should take care of most of it and it only takes a few minutes.

John

John, or anyone, do you use compressed air in the black water flush fitting? I didn't think of it until I saw some posts about the valve in the wall.

beasleyrl

John, or anyone, do you use compressed air in the black water flush fitting? I didn't think of it until I saw some posts about the valve in the wall.

Yes! I didn't one year and it started leaking. Dealer blamed it on not being winterized...

cdbMidland

Yes! I didn't one year and it started leaking. Dealer blamed it on not being winterized...

Thanks for the prompt reply. Mine is in storage right now and the lows have gotten down to the mid-20s. Getting warmer the next few days, so I best get over there with my compressor and take care of that before we really get some cold temps.

Can't hardly wait to year's end and then to Florida for the rest of the winter. Michigan is a beautiful state, but it doesn't agree with me in the wintertime.

cdbMidland

Sure glad you mentioned this. Went over last week with the compressor and was surprised at how much water moved around when I blew it out. Guess I was just lucky the past three years - of course, we went down south for the winter before it got too awfully cold in Michigan.

jbeletti

Oh my gosh - just winterized yesterday and didn't think about this "at all". :eek:

I better hit it with air before I pull out of here today. Thanks for the reminder!

Jim

irvin56

Thanks for info

truly great and wonderful info everybody shares on hereNone

I never had one before on tt.

Mine is in dealer now, but it froze and busted some other items before i was able to take there.:mad:

Weather up here changes in a flash,
I'll probably find it leaking come spring:eek:

My to do list, to check out.

jbeletti

Before I left the CG this morning, I drug the air hose back out of the truck. Using an air chuck and the blow-out plug, I pushed air through the black tank flush, back-flow preventer and into the tank. Think I am good now. Thanks for the reminder!

Jim

//heartlandowners.org/attachments/forum/winterize_black_tank_flush.jpg