Roof Buckling

K

Ken Washington

Scott,
I was up on the roof of our Landmark Grand Caynon this morning and saw that the roof had buckled in about five places. The buckle went from side to side and was raised about two inches and you could see where it was being held down (seams). The buckles were hard and could not be pushed down. The inside of the trailer looks fine. About five hours later after the sun had heated it up, I went back and they were still there but much better. I took pictures of them if you want to see what I am talking about. Give me an e-mail address and I will send them to you. I have been on the roof three times before and never saw this. Do you think this is something to worry about or has anyone else seen this with their trailer?

Tom of Ypsi

Ken, Why not put your pictures here for all of us to see? I think all of us would like to see what you are talking about and exactly where to look. I have not had any problems with the roof so far but it is winter here in Michigan and I have not been up on my roof.since last October. I always go up 2 - 3 times a year just to check it out and make sure it is clean.

Scott

Roof

Ken,
You are seeing the normal expansion and contraction of your roof decking. It's just a whole lot easier to see on an RV where it is only covered by a layer of smooth rubber - vs. on your house where it is covered up with tar paper and lots of shingles.
These 4 x 8 sheets are screwed right down into the aluminum trusses which run every 16" on center and in when they expand and contract, you may see them rise up in the seam areas - every 4 feet.

ST

K

Ken Washington

Hi Scott,
Thanks so much for the quick responce! It sure scared me when I saw the the roof with buckles. I would have posted the pictures here if I could have figured out how to do it. If anyone wants to see, send me a private message with e-mail address and I will send pictures. Buy the way Scott, not enough is said on this fourm about how good a job you do helping us with our problems and concerns. As for me, I thank you very much for your help and patience!

arisce

I agree with Ken. Kudos to Scott for listening and answering our concerns. Shows that the company cares.

King27

A two inch rise seems very unusual for an expansion and contraction process. Correctly installed decking will have slight cracks between the panels to compensate for expansion and contraction. I would suggest that this is something that needs attention if it is this bad. Even a quarter to half inch vertical rise should cause concern and be corrected.

Best Regards, Ted

King27 said:
A two inch rise seems very unusual for an expansion and contraction process. Correctly installed decking will have slight cracks between the panels to compensate for expansion and contraction. I would suggest that this is something that needs attention if it is this bad. Even a quarter to half inch vertical rise should cause concern and be corrected.
Best Regards, Ted[/quote-----------------------------
----------------------------------

Unusual is right.
Bighorn literature says the "roof decking" is 7/16" ( or 3/8") whichever piece of literature you're reading. Is this roof decking made out of "marine grade plywood" or more of the Weyerhouser O.S.B. board??

K

Ken Washington

Scott,
The rise in the decking did not happen at the seams-but between the seams. PM me a place to send pictures so that you can see what I am talking about. I am going to take another look tomorrow to see what the roof kooks like .

K

Ken Washington

Scott,
I am really getting concerned about this issue! I looked this morning and still have a rise in the roof decking in four or five places. I believe that the decking has no room to expand an therefore pushes up causing these humps in the roof. I would think that in the long run, this would cause major problems with the roof and frame. Like I said before, I have pictures if you will let me know where to send them.

K

Ken Washington

Trap,
Thanks for asking! I sent pictures to my dealer and he has sent them to Heartland three times! I guess they are too busy to reply. I have never had another roof do this on all of the other trailers that we have owned. I have not heard anyone else on this fourm say that they have seen this with their unit. As soon as I get an answer, I will let you know.
Ken