Assistance Planning CrossCountry Road Trip

racermom

We are in the process of planning a 4-6 week road trip starting in Virginia going towards West Coast, (not actually getting to the coast as we don't have enough time) hoping to head North and back to Virginia. We are looking to go during the summer months when school is on break. Trying to get an idea of your favorite spots, where they are located, etc to assist with the planning.

I didn't realize how complicated this could be, especially when you need to find family friendly attractions that can accommodate a 40ft 5th Wheel. Therefore I am turning to my Heartland family for assistance.

What places do you recommend for a young family with a 11 yr old, 4 yr, old and a medium size dog.

Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks in advance

DntDctr

I don't have any experience with a fifth wheel trip, but I did make across and back from VA on a motorcycle. Some of the best places I've been to are Lake Tahoe, Yellowstone, Painted desert, and of course, Grand Canyon. Breathtaking....
Paul

rwoodall

Marshfield, Mo
You might consider joining American Automobile Association (AAA).
One of the benefits of the AAA service is their maps, Travel Guides, and Campgrounds Books. You can take the map; plot your trip using the Guides to choose activities that would be of interest to your family. The camping guide will help in selecting RV parks near the activities.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hay Mom...
I will give you my ideas of what I would do if I were taking that trip. To give you an idea, we were in Halifax Nova Scotia and had to be in Austin TX for my Wife's nephews wedding. Distance was 2700 miles plus.

We have a basic rule. A trip/leg can be from 225 to 275 miles but 250 miles is the desirable. We have found that we average about 45mph and travel no more than 5-6 hours on any leg. A 2700 mile trip could be broken down into say 11 or 12 trips. If we spent 3 nights at the end of each leg that would take us about a month.

If you take 6 weeks, that is about 42 days. You stay an average of 3 nights. Some 2 some 4 what ever you want to adjust. That would give you 14 legs. Divide by 2 for round trip. You can go 7 legs times 250. That would be 1750 miles in one direction.

I don't know where your leaving from in Virginia, but if your around Virginia Beach you could make Custer South Dakota and back if you made a couple or more one night stops and drove a couple long days. It might be about 1800 plus miles one way.

I use Streets and Trips to plot my route. I modify it to meet my destinations. Streets and Trips can show you a lot of campgrounds along the route you are traveling. Once you know your route you can find intresting spots along the way. Let us know the route you might take and then we can give you ideas that would be close enough for you to go see.

If your interested I could elaborate more later or via email.

I hope this is something like what you were asking.

Another thing, while on the way if you stay off the interstates you will find really neat places that everyone bypasses.

jpmorgan37

You may think I'm nuts, but some of the best trips that I've taken, and this goes back into the 60's and 70's when our kids were little, were the one's where we just took off with no real plans. I have tried with and without reservations. Best were without. Stop some place for a night and end up spending a week (Custer State Park) (North Rim of the Grand Canyon) Other places plan on spending a few day and leave early the next morning. The suggestion for AAA was excellent. They have some great books as well as route planning maps. Do yourself a favor and get a GPS. I can't travel without one now. Another thing, get on the low clearance website Here is the site so that you don't hit an overpass that you won't fit under. This is a beautiful country and some of the most spectacular scenery and wonderful people that you can ever hope to meet. Have a great trip and let us know how it went.

John

bigredtruck

You may think I'm nuts, but some of the best trips that I've taken, and this goes back into the 60's and 70's when our kids were little, were the one's where we just took off with no real plans. I have tried with and without reservations. Best were without. Stop some place for a night and end up spending a week (Custer State Park) (North Rim of the Grand Canyon) Other places plan on spending a few day and leave early the next morning. The suggestion for AAA was excellent. They have some great books as well as route planning maps. Do yourself a favor and get a GPS. I can't travel without one now. Another thing, get on the low clearance website Here is the site so that you don't hit an overpass that you won't fit under. This is a beautiful country and some of the most spectacular scenery and wonderful people that you can ever hope to meet. Have a great trip and let us know how it went.

John

Hey John, Thanks for the link to that website. Brent and I were talking the other day about how to find out - ahead of hitting it - where the low bridges were.
I hope you are well!

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Hey John, Thanks for the link to that website. Brent and I were talking the other day about how to find out - ahead of hitting it - where the low bridges were.
I hope you are well!

Go to a truck stop and pick up a Rand Mcnally motor carriers road atlas, they cost a few $$$ more than the regular atlas but are worth their weight in gold.

The first section has weights, regulations, restrictions and low clearance locations for each state. Federal designated truck routes are also highlited in orange on the maps.

If you stick to truck regulations, stay on the federal designated truck routes and stay off restricted routes you usually won't have problems with a 40' fiver.

TRAVELER07

Founding New Mexico Chapter Leader
Hi racermom A must see is the black hills in South Dakota esp. the Custer State Park DO NOT drive through the Mt with your 5th wheel roads in park are narrow and steep tunnels are tight drop your 5er off at CG 1st drive is unforgetable.TRAVELER07

rvv

jpmorgan37;52561This is a beautiful country and some of the most spectacular scenery and wonderful people that you can ever hope to meet.[/quote said:
Hopefully we all already knew this; but it brought tears to my eyes and made me feel good to be reminded. Thanks JP! rvv:)

dtvista

4 to 6 weeks is a pretty quick trip across the country, so I would select several places you really want to see and stay 3 to 5 days. I also think Microsofts Streets and Trips is a great way to plan a trip. There is so much on the web and in the software you can get a great idea what to see and where to go. We also try and move 250 to 300 miles per day when traveling, but this may not work for your time schedule. Here are some ideas.

Go the southern route--Weather will be better in late June and July in the north.
Places you might want to see, and let your kids experience these great sites.
Grande Canyon
Yellowstone and the Tetons (next to each other)
Black Hills and Mt Rushmore

For example--Use I-40 to move west to Grande Canyon
North into Utah Bryce, and Zion NP
North to Teton NP and then Yellowstone
Then east to the Black Hills and Mt. Rushmore

Dave

racermom

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I love books, and you all gave me plenty to buy and use as a guide with our planning. I especially love the suggestion of the AAA. I almost forgot how much information they provide. Can't forget the low clearance site as well. I had that one in my favorites, but had forgotten about it.

TXBobcat - thank you for the calculation. What you provided made sense. I looked at the millege to Yellowstone and with leaving VA (just outside of Frederickburg) it will take about 1 week to get there and that is if we are driving straight there. That definitley puts things into perspective.

I was born and raised in Arizona and was so fortunate to see that side of the countryside. VA is georgous, but the West just has a majestic side to it that draws you in and makes a lasting imprint on a person and I really want to share that with my loved ones.

I look forward to starting the planning.

jnbhobe

Racermom ; I see you live just out side Fredricksburg Va. my daughter and family live in Pelhems crossing just off business 17 on the east side of I-95
Your right it is nice country in Va. Maybe we'll run into you some time we go there a lot. Jon:)