What an act of kindness

jpmorgan37

What an act of kindness - - God Bless the USA - - bring them all home safe

I put my carry-on in the luggage compartment and sat down in my assigned seat. It was going to be a long flight. 'I'm glad I have a good book to read. Perhaps I will get a short nap,' I thought.

Just before take-off, a line of soldiers came down the aisle and filled all the vacant seats, totally surrounding me. I decided to start a conversation. 'Where are you headed?' I asked the soldier seated nearest to me. 'Chicago - to Great Lakes Base. We'll be there for two weeks for special training, and then we're being deployed to Iraq '. After flying for about an hour, an announcement was made that sack lunches were available for five dollars. It would be several hours before we reached Chicago, and I quickly decided a lunch would help pass the time.

As I reached for my wallet, I overheard soldier ask his buddy if he planned to buy lunch. 'No, that seems like a lot of money for just a sack lunch. Probably wouldn't be worth five bucks. I'll wait till we get to Chicago '

His friend agreed.

I looked around at the other soldiers. Not one was buying lunch. I walked to the back of the plane and handed the flight attendant a fifty dollar bill. 'Take a lunch to all those soldiers.' She grabbed my arms and squeezed tightly. Her eyes wet with tears, she thanked me. 'My son was a soldier in Iraq; it's almost like you are doing it for him.' Picking up ten sacks, she headed up the aisle to where the soldiers were seated. She stopped at my seat and asked, 'Which do you like best - beef or chicken?' 'Chicken,' I replied, wondering why she asked. She turned and went to the front of plane, returning a minute later with a dinner plate from first class.
'This is your thanks.' After we finished eating, I went again to the back of the plane, heading for the rest room. A man stopped me. 'I saw what you did. I want to be part of it. Here, take this.' He handed me twenty-five dollars. Soon after I returned to my seat, I saw the Flight Captain coming down the aisle, looking at the aisle numbers as he walked, I hoped he was not looking for me, but noticed he was looking at the numbers only on my side of the plane. When he got to my row he stopped, smiled, held out his hand, and said, 'I want to shake your hand.' Quickly unfastening my seat belt I stood and took the Captain's hand. With a booming voice he said, 'I was a soldier and I was a military pilot. Once, someone bought me a lunch. It was an act of kindness I never forgot.' I was embarrassed when applause was heard from all of the passengers. Later I walked to the front of the plane so I could stretch my legs. A man who was seated about six rows in front of me reached out his hand, wanting to shake mine. He left another twenty-five dollars in my palm. When we landed in Chicago I gathered my belongings and started to deplane. Waiting just inside the airplane door was a man who stopped me, put something in my shirt pocket, turned, and walked away without saying a word. Another twenty-five dollars!

Upon entering the terminal, I saw the soldiers gathering for their trip to the base. I walked over to them and handed them seventy-five dollars. 'It will take you some time to reach the base. It will be about time for a sandwich. God Bless You.' Ten young men left that flight feeling the love and respect of their fellow travelers. As I walked briskly to my car, I whispered a prayer for their safe return. These soldiers were giving their all for our country. I could only give them a couple of meals. It seemed so little...

" A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'"

I received this in a e-mail and thought that it was worth sharing.

John

wagenman

WOW.. what a powerful email!! It means so much to so many people..it seems that we all have a family member or know somebody over there right now.. and thats what they need more then anything.. prayer!!

My brother is there right now.. Bravo unit as a calvery scout in Army!! He came home in July for a short furlough and one of the stories he was telling us, is when he was in the airport how many people stood up to shake his hand or clapped when he walked by.. what a proud moment...it put tears in my eye when he was telling the story.. cant imagine how he must have felt going through it...

I want to thank you for posting this.. what a powerful email.. I would spend 50 bucks in a heartbeat to buy the men and women a quick bite to eat any day of the week!!

God bless the USA... and the men and women fighting for it!!

truknutt

Committed Member
The Holidays are fast approaching and once again the USO, in concert with John Boy & Billy (The Big Show), is organizing Operation USO Care Package (OUCP).

"At a minimum, each care package includes a personalized message of support from the donor, an AT&T prepaid international phone card, snacks, playing cards, reading material, camo kits containing shampoo, conditioner, sunblock, hand sanitizer, tooth paste, tooth brush, sunscreen and other requested and needed items."

Attachments

• logo.gif
    logo.gif
    10.9 KB · Views: 15
  • big_show_logo.jpg
    big_show_logo.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 15

jpmorgan37

What a great site and I would love to see any of us that are able to contribute to this. It's so worthwhile and any of us who have served, know what something like this means, especially over the Holidays.

JimandSina

I also received this email it is a very touching story, for any of you who are in Texas this November 8th, there will be a motorcycle ride from Houston to San antonio, it is called the Texas Honor Ride and we go every year for veterans day to visit the troops at Brooks Army Medical center, and raise money for family's who have loved ones in the hospital recovering from their battle wounds, you do not have to be on a motorcycle to participate, If you are interested in attending or simply wish to make a donation go to this link for details http://www.texashonorride.org/2008events.asp it is a very worthwhile cause and I promise you you will see some 300lb. bikers crying

God Bless America and thanks to anyone who is or has ever served this great country we enjoy...

Jim

boydk2001

I received this story in an email about 2 weeks ago. At the time I thought it was awesome.
On Tuesday my son called me and said "Dad, I'm home!" He has just finished his 15 month hitch in Iraq. I thank God for each and every day that He had his arms wrapped around my son, protecting him and keeping him safe. And i pray that He does the same for every soldier who is still fighting in Iraq and Afganastan and all the other places that we are not yet hearing about. I also pray that He keeps his arms wrapped around those families who have not been as fortunate as my wife and I. Bring them peace.

JimandSina

I received this story in an email about 2 weeks ago. At the time I thought it was awesome.
On Tuesday my son called me and said "Dad, I'm home!" He has just finished his 15 month hitch in Iraq. I thank God for each and every day that He had his arms wrapped around my son, protecting him and keeping him safe. And i pray that He does the same for every soldier who is still fighting in Iraq and Afganastan and all the other places that we are not yet hearing about. I also pray that He keeps his arms wrapped around those families who have not been as fortunate as my wife and I. Bring them peace.

Well said, congratulations on your son's safe return, and many thanks to him for his service and to you for that support.
Jim

RVCamper

Thanks for the links, and the opputunity to give back in a small way for those that have given so much ..

Happy Thanksgiving to all those that served and are serving now.