Heating Issue!!

wagenman

Ok here we go!! I have not even got the chance to camp in my new Sundance yet and am already fixing things....

Yesterday I spent almost 6 hours in the dealership so they could adjust my rear bedroom slide.. what ever thats cool... it was just something that had to be done... the dealership was great about it and did the best they could.. and of course it did not cost me a dime!!

Today, after reading on here last night about all the plumbing problems Heartland owners have been having I decided to go out this morning and just take a quick peek at my plumbing fittings.. and cause I am in Michigan it was dang cold out this morning..

My findings on the fittings were as I expected.. almost all loose and ready to leak!! No problem, just a quick turn and they were ok...

But when I was out there I had to turn on my furnace. I could have toughed it out, but thought I had to give it a test run anyway.. and boy am I glad I did...

The furnace kicked on nice.. and was blowing heat in the main room (kitchen vent) but was not putting any heat into the master bedroom..NOT GOOD

I started the trace of where the duct work was ran and found that it went under the stairs to the master bedroom...when I took the stairs out this is what I found..

The duct that was running to the master bedroom was completely blocked off..or should I say pinched!!! When they put the stairs in they cut the port hole too small and just forced it down on the flex tubing duct work.. Again with horrible QA from Heartland...

I took some pictures to show what I am talking about.. so just in case you have no heat in your bedroom this could be why!!

Once I moved it all around and cut the access hole bigger, the heat was good in the room... I just feel like this kind of thing is not what the owner of a brand new coach should be doing..

Mike

PS.. I do feel I should mention that I do love my trailer and can not wait to use it this weekend...

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_1160.jpg
    Copy of IMG_1160.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 236
  • Copy of IMG_1154.jpg
    Copy of IMG_1154.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 222
  • Copy of IMG_1157.jpg
    Copy of IMG_1157.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 213
  • Copy of IMG_1159.jpg
    Copy of IMG_1159.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 211
  • Copy of IMG_1161.jpg
    Copy of IMG_1161.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 210

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
wagenman,
Sorry to hear of your frustration but good for you finding the problem, dealing with it and even more, sharing it with us. I agree, regardless of what level of unit a person buys all in the unit should be in 100% working order.

Thanks for sharing and good luck,

Mark

wshamby01

My 3300RLB has the same symptoms. How many screws hold the stair portion on. I can only find 2. Did you have to pry it up?

Thanks,
Scott

wagenman

Scott,

There are 4 screws.. two in the top that go straight back and two on the bottom that go through the floor... No prying needed.. you can see the break in the carpet where they come apart!!

Kind of funny.. as I am drawing on the pictures all I can think is how much I hate it when John Madden does it on TV..lol

Attachments

• IMG_1162.jpg
    IMG_1162.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 153

shanise25

Thank you for this great information Magenman...we have the same RV as you and i've brought this issue up with the dealership and they told me they cannot do anything. Maybe you should get a job at Heartland!!!

jbeletti

Mike,

Very sorry to hear this and thank you a bunch for the pictures. I have passed these onto Production and QC directors to be looked at, at once on the line.

Jim

wagenman

Thanks Jim,

I did not expect this to go that far.. but anything I can do to help make this better for others is a bonus...

I was shocked when I took the stairs off and found that they just pushed them down on the heat duct... its not like the person doing that didnt know he was doing it...oh well it was a easy fix.... and it gave me some time to get to know some of the inner workings of my coach...

jbeletti

wagenman said:
Thanks Jim,
I did not expect this to go that far.. but anything I can do to help make this better for others is a bonus...

You did the right thing. You found the problem, documented it very well, made the fix and let your pals on the forum know about it so they too can check theirs or have theirs checked should they have significant heater flow impairment.

I did my job by informing the factory of a clear miss at the plant. It will be discussed there immediately. I don't work at the plant but they trust when I flag an issue up - that it is real. Heartland is super-awesome in this way. They listen to you - the customer and they do their best to make a better product.

Thank you!

Jim

D

Dave Willis

I just spoke to the plant manager and we looked into the issue and it has been taken care of.

Dave

jbeletti

Thanks for handling this at the plant Dave.

Owners,

Thank you for the feedback. You can make a difference for the next guy. This thread proves that. Thank you!

Jim

red4re

My bedroom vent is the same way. Almost no flow comes through. However, in the bunkhouse in the back, it is very strong. I just replaced the vent in the bunkhouse with a vent that has an adjustable damper in it. This will force more air forward. Yes - I spent the extra 10 cents on a better vent.

Now I guess I need to check under the stairs too.

Thanks for the post.

red

Duramax1

Wagenman

Even though I have a different model Sundance, 2900MK, I decided to take a look after seeing your very descriptive and helpful post.

I discovered in my model there was only one hose coming from the furnace and it goes to the heating vent outlet just in front of the stairs in the bedroom.

Can you tell me where your second hose terminates? I am wondering whether my trailer is missing an outlet somewhere. Is it possible in the basement of the trailer?

Thanks.

Duramax1

Wagenman

Do you have an answer? Do you know where your second heating hose exits in your trailer? Is it in the basement of your RV?

wagenman

Duramax1,

The second hose goes to a vent on the side of the entertainment center all the way at the floor... so it kind of blows at the entry door and the stairs going to the master bedroom..i think you can see it in the pictures if you look close...its a round vent not a floor vent...

if this does not help let me know and i will post a picture of it..

Sorry Dura, I think I read this wrong..

The hose I just told you about sounds like the one you have.. my other hose goes to a floor vent just inside the master bedroom.. in mine you can not see the hose coming out of the furnace...they must come out the bottom side of it..not sure on that though..the only hose that i can see out of the furnace is the one going to the back bedroom..and just like was said by red4e that one works very well...

hope this helps you out.. I am sure you should have some form of a vent in your master bedroom...

Netem

Duramax1, I too have the 2900 MK and we only have one hose going under the steps. I am not sure where the heat that gets to the storage comes in but I think the 1 hose is right for our unit.

Duramax1

Netem

I would refer you to my post on this subject in the Ask The Factory section of this forum and the answer that I received.