Tow Cars

I am researching getting into the motorized/RV transport/driveaway business. I have a 2005 Honda Civic LX 4-door with an automatic transmission that I would like to use as my tow car.

I am aware that cars with automatic trannies shouldn't be towed unless you install an after-market transmission pump.

I called Remco to ask about a pump. They said that they don't make a transmission pump for Hondas, and neither does anybody else. They said that lots of people tow automatic transmission Hondas as is with no problems.

Is this true? Any of you tow automatic transmission Hondas as is? Have you had any problems like burning up the transmission?

Thanks.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Nevada, most of us here are towing trailers but there may be some folks that have had experience with Hondas as toads. I would suggest either checking your owners manual or asking a honda service facility. I seem to remember Honda's needing to stop every couple hundred miles and started up for a while and run the trans through the gears to "re-lube" the works.