2015 Key Largo inverter. Residential refer

Jimlocke

We have had our Heartland since it was new. We are full timers. Our unit has a residential refrigerator. This will only stay on about 3 hours while moving. We have had 3 different Heartland service centers look at it. We were originally told it should last 8 hours. After a factory regional rep looked he said the most we should expect is 3 to 4 hours with the two batteries we have. I was wondering of a larger inverter would be of any use? The ones installed are 1000w. None of the techs mentioned anything about the inverter size. We are sorry we chose this refer option at this point.

danemayer

Hi Jimlocke,

The Magnum Inverter display in your front compartment should have an error code if it's shutting down. E01 would indicate that your batteries were depleted. For that to happen, either the refrigerator's compressor is running too much, or the batteries are not fully charged when you start towing, or the batteries are no longer holding a good charge. With everything working well, you should be able to tow for 9 hours and still have the refrigerator working.

Somewhere back in the time frame of your purchase, Heartland was using Frigidaire refrigerators and Frigidaire changed the compressor, causing inverter overloads when the compressor started. I'm not positive, but I think that generated an E03 error code on the inverter, indicating an overload. There was a programming change to the inverter to handle the very short peak demand when the compressor started up. Heartland replaced quite a few of the inverters to get people units with the new firmware. If you have a Frigidaire refrigerator, you should call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Ask them if your inverter should have been updated.

Magnum Inverter error codes.jpg

The error code is displayed (#4) on the bottom of the inverter, next to the outlets. You may need to use your camera phone to read the error code without becoming a contortionist.
Magnum Inverter error display.jpg

Last edited:

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Inverters in Landmarks around the build date of April to May 2014 were the ones that may have needed to have a software update. I have also have a 2015 Landmark Key Largo the inverter will stay on all day long will traveling 8 to 10 hours. Last summer while staying in Missoula, MT there was a scheduled power outage for maintenance that lasted for 6 hours the inverter and batteries lasted for the entire 6 hours. I am using 2 AGM Size 31 batteries that are 3 years old.

Check that you are getting battery voltage on the charging line from the truck. If the trailer batteries are the original batteries i would replace them bas they are about 5 years old. If you replaced the trailer batteries in the last few years have them load tested most auto parts stores can do the load test in the store.

Jimlocke

Thank you both for thesuggestions. I will double check the batteries and pin front the truck. The problem was noticed from day 1 so I don't believe
it is an issue with these. The truck was checked when I purchased the camper. The tech from the factory said it was the draw from the refrigerator we ordered. They did not offer a solution. I was hoping a larger inverter might help. There were no codes seen. I will test again.

wdk450

Jim:
While a larger wattage inverter will also have a larger momentary load rating (when the refrigerator compressor kicks in), and might solve the immediate problem; the larger the inverter is, the larger the "idle" current it pulls when the compressor is not loading the circuit, which causes your battery/truck charging system to be non productively loaded. Hopefully the software upgrade on the inverter will cure things.

BTW, to check if your truck is charging the battery correctly, take a DC voltage measurement of your battery without the truck connected, and without shorepower AC connected. Note the Voltage reading. Now connect up your truck umbilical cable, turn on the truck engine, and take another trailer battery DC voltage reading. The 2nd reading should be higher than the first, maybe 1/2 to 1 volt or more.