Big Green Egg

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I guess as far as meat goes , my preference would be calf brains. I like my green eggs and brains scrambled together with lots of diced jalapeño peppers and onions. Toast with gooseberry jam and a steaming hot cup of buttermilk with a dash of nutmeg tops it all off. I also like them with chicken lips but they are getting hard to find , one needs to ask the butcher for them , generally......;)....Kenny

jbeletti

Oh Google my friend. Tell me about this big green egg - thing...

Here ya go Jim Google.

big-green-egg.jpg

This thing looks cool. Bring it to a rally I am at. Will have some fun!

Jim

Thats a good start Ray. After years of various smokers, gas and charcoal grills, etc., finally got it right and bought into this big green egg thing. Its a beast that holds heat from 200 to 800 degree f with a limited amount of lump charcoal. Great smoker, low and slow for hours without error, or can sear the hide off the neighbors cow in the field next door. There is an amazing cult following for this thing. They recently introduced a small unit for campers, thus why I asked. As Rosanne Rosanna Danna says, "Nevery mind".

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We've seen them at every competition we've visited. We have friends in Northern IL that compete and we went to a competition in Robbstown, TX last year. We got to judge chicken. I died and went to heaven. I like being a Meatatarian.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Eggheads Unite!!!

bubba-n-bebe,
Its all your fault! I never would have heard of one of these things if it hadn't been for you and now we own a large one. Mark is becoming quite good at using it after only a couple of weeks. We've had steaks of course, chicken breasts, hamburgers, hotdogs, and lobster so far. Tonight he is doing a whole chicken over a can of beer.

We've noticed that it takes less of each spice because they don't all burn off on the grill, a remote thermometer is a great thing to have, and you have to be careful how many smoking chips you use or the flavor will be overwhelming.

Its too bad these things are so heavy. They would be great to have in the trailer, but even the tiny one weighs as much or more than a standard camping grill and only holds one steak. But what a great steak it would be!

Kristy

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Too Late!
The chicken is gone and it was great. It had the most moist and tender white meat I've ever seen. Grilled a little asparagus to go with it, mashed some potatoes, and ate....

Now what can I think of for Mark to cook next? Maybe its time for him to tackle some baby backs!:D

Kristy

PS Just in case you were serious, get one of the upright chicken racks, drink half a can of beer, put the rest, still in its can, into the hole in the middle of the rack and put the chicken down over the can/rack and cook until the thickest part of the bird is 180 degrees.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Oh Google my friend. Tell me about this big green egg - thing...

Here ya go Jim Google.

big-green-egg.jpg

This thing looks cool. Bring it to a rally I am at. Will have some fun!

Jim

Buckeybob,
Jim posted this up above. Do you have other questions about the BGE?

I don't know how Mark managed the miracle of drinking only half a can of beer, but he did. Maybe it had something to do with the wine???;)

Congrats Ziggy. Lovin our large one as well. Had hot wings and chicken breast today, all amazing. If you havent already found it, go to the BGE website and check out the forum; thousands of methods, recipes, pics, etc. I use two remotes to stay on top of internal meat temp and dome temp.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Thanks! Mark did a marinated tri-tip last night. Verrrrry Good! Now we need to order the plate setter and a second rack so my grilled veggies can go on without interfering with whatever else is cooking. We bought a remote wireless thermometer to use in the meat. I hadn't thought about another one for the dome temp. but that's not a bad idea.

I've ben to the BGE web site and looked around, but I haven't had too much time to get involved. This forum pretty much eats up my forum time during the school year. I have more time during the summer.

Any other helpful hints?
Kristy

Plate setter is a must for the best indirect cooking around, use mine more often than not. Unfortunatly a pizza stone will not work due to not holding up to the heat. It will crack.
For the best steaks, go direct with the bottom and top dampers open 100%. When the temp reaches north of 800 degrees, sear for 1.5 to 2 mins each side depending on thickness, take the steak off and close the bottom and top dampers 100%. When temp comes down to 500, put steaks back on without turning for 5 to 15 minutes, depending on how rare or done you prefer. Med well 1.5 to 2 inch thick will take 10 minutes for a NY strip. Watch the upper heat. It will rise in a hurry once it gets going and can crack when it gets high. Mine got up to almost 1100 degrees when walked off for a few minutes.
Baby backs are incredible at 250 to 275 with your favorite smoke and spice. Let em be for 6 to 10 hours, no peaking as this will toughen them up. First check, lid lift, should be no sooner than 6 hours. If the meat is pulling away from the bone, bring em off, or start basting with bbq sauce until you like what you see. Vegs, fish, shrimp, lamb chops, turkey breast, whole turkey, all great thus far. Haven't mastered a brisket, but will have to make do with steaks. Must go, hungry now...

MrsSouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
LOL but I am Sam

"I do not like green eggs and ham, I do not like them Sam I Am."
Just had to make a comment LOL - this is the way i get most folks to remember me ( however I have been told that my laugh is a lot more memorable - oh well! LOL):D

Best Steak EVER

How about a nice thick rib-eye (1 1/2"+) with your favorite rub, along with a sweet potato. Make that a NC yam, since it's one of our best crops.

I don't own a BGE, but was the grateful recipient about a year ago when we were invited to a christening dinner party band I consider it the best steak I've EVER had, bar none. That yam was delish, too. It all came out black, but when you cut into it, my my my!!

Hope we get a chance to try some of your samples at National in Nashville in 2010!

Thats a good start Ray. After years of various smokers, gas and charcoal grills, etc., finally got it right and bought into this big green egg thing. Its a beast that holds heat from 200 to 800 degree f with a limited amount of lump charcoal. Great smoker, low and slow for hours without error, or can sear the hide off the neighbors cow in the field next door. There is an amazing cult following for this thing. They recently introduced a small unit for campers, thus why I asked. As Rosanne Rosanna Danna says, "Nevery mind".

JEdwards

I had seen the Big Green Egg at various trendy home and garden stores and originally thought that they were WAY overpriced toys for folks that had more money than sense.

Then, we started looking for a grill/smoker/oven to keep at a campsite where we "store" our RV and came back across the BGE. After talking to a bunch of people that have one and after looking at their amazing cookbook, we took the plunge and bought one. Now, I think it is about the most amazing cooking invention ever made and the food coming off of it superb.

So far, we have:
-Smoked pork shoulders and tenderloins. (I got deployed before I could get to ribs, chickens or turkeys)
-Baked cookies, brownies and bread (cookies and brownies were just like baking in a home oven, the bread tasted like it came out of a pizza oven)
-Grilled all manner of meat
-Made the absolute best pizzas ever. The BGE with the plate setter and the pizza stone creates your very own pizza oven. I buy small pizza crusts from Costco and make a bunch of toppings. Then, the kids, friends, other folks in the campground all come over and make their own pizzas.
-The best toasted marshmallows

The really cool thing about the BGE is that it is not affected by wind or rain (which were both problems with my gas grill and electric smoker in Washington). Unfortunately, the Egg is VERY heavy and had to stay in one spot.

Now that we have just purchased our RW405 with the garage and ramp door, I am going modify the Egg cart so that it can go up the ramp and try to figure out a way to secure the Egg in the garage. Then, the egg is going with us when we go camping.