newby 5th wheel hitch questions ?

rwdennis

Hi all , thinking about getting a RW 429 toy hauler , i know pretty much zero about 5er hitches , the trailer im looking at has a 21k more ride pin box , i see some hitches have a air bag to make them ride better , does one with the more ride need a air bagged hitch ? I have a 2014 dodge dueley 1 ton mega cab , also have a aux fuel tank in the bed , sticks back into the bed about 20 inches , what would be a good hitch for my setup ? any and all ideas welcome , thanks in advance !

Fox

Rather than blindly answering your question I would encourage you to visit some RV dealers and let them actually see what you have before recommending /choosing a hitch for this toy hauler. Potential conflict: is your tank too high - or too far into the bed - to provide adequate clearance?

I would also suggest you visit your Ram dealer (and a weight scale - w/ your aux tank full of fuel) to better estimate what your true payload is.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
What is the length of your truck bed and is it prepped for a puck system.

Peace
Dave

sengli

The more ryde rating is generic number for the pin box. So that doesnt tell you much. The weight of the rig is important, that large of TH would be in the 20-25K hitch rating though. There are a lot of options out there. I went with a curt unit, cause it was available locally, built very sturdy and made in the USA.

If money is not object there are a lot of other brands to consider.

ILH

I have a 2018 RAM 1 ton dually with the short-bed. Before buying the truck, I had the Hensley BD3 hitch with the air bags - absolutely love it. So when I bought the RAM, the only modification I needed was the adapter frame to go between the puck system and BD3 rail. Works like a charm.

I originally bought the Hensley because I had the Hensley Arrow for my travel trailer - again, loved it. So I stayed with Hensley - ALSO, I figured that if I was going to be changing 5th wheels, why keep buying expensive pin boxes?

danemayer

I have a 2018 RAM 1 ton dually with the short-bed. Before buying the truck, I had the Hensley BD3 hitch with the air bags - absolutely love it. So when I bought the RAM, the only modification I needed was the adapter frame to go between the puck system and BD3 rail. Works like a charm.

I originally bought the Hensley because I had the Hensley Arrow for my travel trailer - again, loved it. So I stayed with Hensley - ALSO, I figured that if I was going to be changing 5th wheels, why keep buying expensive pin boxes?

I also have the Hensley BD3 hitch, and also love it. But it's not rated for 21,000 lbs. You'd need a different Hensley model.

MTPockets

Rather than blindly answering your question I would encourage you to visit some RV dealers and let them actually see what you have before recommending /choosing a hitch for this toy hauler. Potential conflict: is your tank too high - or too far into the bed - to provide adequate clearance?

I would also suggest you visit your Ram dealer (and a weight scale - w/ your aux tank full of fuel) to better estimate what your true payload is.

Thus is your best advice... I’m gonna guess that aux tank may interfere with the hitch, since you don’t have an 8 Ft bed.

rwdennis

My truck doesnt have the puck system , its a 6.5 ft bed , the trailer is about 16K dry , with rear end and the trans i have its rated to tow 24000 pounds .

mlpeloquin

Sounds like you need an auto slider hitch. Demco makes a nice one. So does Pullrite and B&W. There maybe others. Just make sure you get one for the weight of your fully loaded 5er and them some. Don't get a 18K hitch for an 18K load. Never a good thing to max out anything.

I'm very happy with the B&W Companion for the Turnoverball system on our 2016 RAM 3500 Mega Cab DRW.

We also have an aux tank which means the Companion post has to be in Position-1 to allow for the space the tanks consumes.
I also have the pivot arm installed as far back as possible to maximize the clearance between the Toyhauler and the RAM's cab.
The above are better explained and illustrated if you search on Google using "B&W Companion Instructions" and download/view the Model 3500 PDF file.