De winterizing

bishgeo

Two questions. First time dewinterizing with an Anderson valve. I usually pour bleach in the water fill hole and fill tank then run it thru system let it sit for a day drain and fill. How do you get bleach in the holding tank with this valve set up. 2nd it has the residential fridge that dealer told me to winterize so the fridge/ ice maker has antifreeze to flush out. Does the fridge have a water filter in it. If so anyone have a part number or good source for a new filter.

danemayer

Hi bishgeo,

To put bleach into the fresh tank, add it to your water hose, then connect the hose to the faucet and to the water inlet and set the Anderson Valve to TANK. The water pressure from the faucet will push the bleach into the fresh tank. Once in the fresh tank, you can st the Anderson Valve to NORMAL and turn the pump on to get the bleach/water solution into the rest of the plumbing system.

I think the owner's manual suggests follow up with vinegar solution if you need to neutralize the bleach odor/taste after rinsing the bleach out of the system.

On the refrigerator, I'm afraid you may have a mess to deal with, depending on the refrigerator features. As for the filter, it depends on the make/model of refrigerator. Heartland has used a number of refrigerators. The manual will provide a part # and you may also find info on a label inside the fridge.

NYSUPstater

To add to danemayer's post, we do the same for adding bleach. We are fortunate enough to be on public water, so after the bleach solution has sat 24 hours in the holding tank/lines/faucets, etc, I drain the fresh tank and then re-fill w/ just plain water w/in line filter attached. Run this water thru the system like I did w/ the bleach until you don't smell bleach coming out of it. Let this sit 24 hours, drain and all set for the summer.

We don't have a res fridge or ice maker, so cannot help you there.

Upon edit: I use 1 cup Clorox non scented bleach (getting hard to find unscented stuff nowadays). Do not water it down---I know that sounds funny, but by pouring it down hose 1st, you are sanitizing that at same time.