Compartment Door Locks unable to insert key

JimnDonna

3 of the 4 side compartment storage doors have "slam locks" the key can't be inserted into without using a sharp dental type pick to slide small cover out of the way.
This is "warranty work" on our 2018 BirHorn Traveler 32RS.
The dealer has had the 5er since January now, blaming slow parts delivery for the reason it isn't done yet. :confused:
Is all Heartland warranty service this poor, or is y dealer jerking me around - again.
Supposedly they now ordered the locks from a 'local' distributor since Heartland shipped the wrong locks.
Seems funny that the reasons for them not having the parts yet are the same as when Heartland was sending the items?

Are there any regional Heartland reps in the field? When I was one, we listened to customer issues and helped fix problems!

Jim Wilson

mlpeloquin

Take a deep breath, get your VIN number and call Heartland. Ask if parts are on order for your trailer. Many with your same complaint have found out that the dealer has never contacted Heartland. They want their techs prepping new rigs for display and sale. So do not be shocked. A great many of us go to an independent RV repair to have repair and warranty work done. For warranty you need to make sure the RV repair business is approved by Heartland.

If new locks were ordered it is done by VIN. Heartland has a complete parts list for your rig based on your VIN. Lippert is most likely the supplier and parts ordered from Lippert may take as long as three months. So make sure Heartland was actually contacted.

JimnDonna

My locks do the same. A little Wd40 wait a minute or 2 and they work perfectly.

Thanks, I'll try it!

- - - Updated - - -

Take a deep breath, get your VIN number and call Heartland. Ask if parts are on order for your trailer. Many with your same complaint have found out that the dealer has never contacted Heartland. They want their techs prepping new rigs for display and sale. So do not be shocked. A great many of us go to an independent RV repair to have repair and warranty work done. For warranty you need to make sure the RV repair business is approved by Heartland.

If new locks were ordered it is done by VIN. Heartland has a complete parts list for your rig based on your VIN. Lippert is most likely the supplier and parts ordered from Lippert may take as long as three months. So make sure Heartland was actually contacted.

Thank you for the information!

CDN

B and B
I just did the WD 40 trick to my locks about 30 minutes ago, frozen up while working on it in sub freezing temps. There not the best locks and I am going to replace them someday with one key system.

mlpeloquin

My front compartment lock was shot. I could insert the key upside down and not even know. Took some playing with it to get it to turn. I replaced it with a cam lock. Don't know what your lock is, but this was the best thing I ever did. Here is the web page and hope it helps. Got the cover for it as well.

ttps://shoprvlocks.com

8404fmfvet

My locks do the same. A little Wd40 wait a minute or 2 and they work perfectly.
I have/had the same issue with locks as well, I sprayed wd-40 on the key and the problem went away. Maybe a graphite spray or material will work if your in cold temperatures.

Gary521

Forget the warrenty work on the slam locks. All the slam locks have the same key as everybody else. RVLOCKSANDMORE can get you slam locks that are all keyed alike and keyed to the same key as your entry door. They can also get cam locks that are keyed to the main door key too.

Thunderbolt

I have/had the same issue with locks as well, I sprayed wd-40 on the key and the problem went away. Maybe a graphite spray or material will work if your in cold temperatures.

3M makes a lock lubricant that is a spray. Look them up as I use it all of the time on locks around here. I live half a mile from the Mississippi River in Louisiana and the humidity gives the locks a hard time.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
What, “Hey Mo Fo, stick it in here,”
makes you chuckle?. It’s key lock operation for the new generation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk