Bighorn Frame Concerns

Ervan

I'm considering purchasing a 2006 Bighorn 2955RL 5th Wheel. I've read a lot about Lippert frame problems. Should I be concerned for this model and year?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Dick, I wouldn't be extremely concerned. I'm not sure what you mean when you say "a lot" but you have to consider when looking at forums, it's usually a place where people ask questions about concerns and problems they might be having. Keeping that in mind, there are literally thousands of frames out there that are trouble free. A good number of us are here more to help others with their questions about Heartlands products. When looking for telltale marks on a used trailer with possible frame issues, look for stress cracks and or separation of trim around the front cap and along the bottom of the bedroom area. If you do notice anything you can always ask the dealer for some sort of guarantee.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Lippert has a great reputation for standing behind their products.

Remember that on forums there are only a small fraction of owners and often they won't join and ask about something until they have a problem and need guidence so most of what you read is usually negative.

Uncle Rog

Luck of the draw, I have had a couple of issues with suspension and axle alignment, Lippert has stepped up to the plate on both occaisions and fixed the unit, no questions asked. The only caveat is that you have to know / understand the workings of how the unit is supposed to be. You really need to have a thorough pre-delivery inspection AND take the time to go over ALL the systems, and use them, once you take delivery. This applies to any RV, not just the Bighorn. There are plenty of horror stoeies out there about all or any brand you would consider...............

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
At the start of each season I take my BH to a trailer manufacturer/dealer to have the alignment checked and corrected if needed. In 3 seasons I have had no problems, and I have been told if a frame issue came about it would probably affect alignment. I feel it is money well invested to help keep me rolling. Heartland will take care of you even if your warranty has expired. Good luck.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Ervan, Patty and I have an 07 2955RL and have not had any problems with the coach or frame. Like the others have said look the coach over very well before you take delivery. Some how maybe you can find out who the previous owner was and get some information about the coach. Lippert has a 5 year warrenty on there frames, but it may only be to the 1st owner. Maybe someone else will weigh in on this. Get a good extended warrenty from the dealer or throught Good Sam. My 3 cts worth Bob:D:D:eek:

fhollan

06 Bh 2955rl

As you can see on my signature, I have the same year and model you are looking at. After reading all of the replies, I can't add anymore than that. I have not had any big problems with this unit. Just minor ones which were taken care of before the warranty ran out. Now I've got the extended warranty through Good Sam. I go through this one before we take a trip, from the top to underneath. As suggested, find out who the previous owner was and find out its history.