Water Heater Anode Replacement...

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Probably most of you are familiar with changing out the anode in your water heater. I have owned my Bighorn since the first of Feb. 2008. We are using it full time and I am trying to get our yearly maintenance done. I decided to check out the anode in the water heater. It takes a 1 1/16” half inch socket to remove the anode. I used my torque wrench which gives me the leverage to remove it, but it was really easy. When I replaced the anode the package says to torque the anode to 7-10 ft lbs.
I tightened my a bit tighter because it needed more to screw it in far enough.

I am including a photo of the old anode and the new one. It was pretty well gone in one part even over only one year.

Attachments

• Anode replacement.jpg
    Anode replacement.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 144

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
What a coinkydink! I did our anode rod yesterday. I did it last year around the same time frame. Mine was in much better shape than Bobcats so I cleaned it up and reused it this time. Mine had some gunk on it that looked like clear silicone that had not dried yet. My tank had very little residue. I know he uses a double inline water filter set up as I do. Must be the differences in water.

azbound

When I started RVing I was some what green in regards to the hot water maint. needs, so I didn't know about the Anode Rod. After owning my first 5ver for 2 years I was looking in the owners manual, don't remember why and saw a not about changing out the Anode Rod. You can't believe the condition of that 2 tear old Rod. I would say it wad about 95% gone.

When I purchased the new one I was shocked as to how little they cost. Any way it is now an annual thing just prior to leaving for AZ. for the winter. It also provides you and opportunity to clean out the Hot Water tank, it is unbelievable the stuff that comes out, must be the Az. water.

truknutt

Committed Member
This is info on anode rods.........

Forrest

Good info Forrest. I was unaware that softened water sped up the deterioration process.

I am surprised, not only by the number of RVers that don't know about the anode rod, but also by the number of homeowners that have never heard of this animal. Here is a link to the "Ask This Old House" Video that explains what the rod's purpose is and how to go about changing it before it ruins that pricey water heater.

I read somewhere that every 4 years is the rule for changing out the rod in your home. This is of course dependant upon your water usage.

Dave