Heartland Landmark Oakmont

steves

We just purchased and took delivery of our Oakmont last week. We took it out last weekend to "organize" and get familiar with it. We had a blast. We traded in our Jayco Designer and I was a bit concerned about the kitchen storage which was huge in the Designer. The cabinets in the Oakmont are REALLY tall which makes up for some of the space, but, now I need a step stool to reach the top shelves! (I'm only 5'4").

The bedroom closet in the Oakmont is huge... but, there is no "shelf" or cabinet top in the bedroom for a clock, etc.. We'll probably look for a wall clock or something. The bedroom is a bit dark because of the full wall of drawer space and tv -- but, that's ok with us. We're not really in the bedroom a lot during the day --- so, it doesn't bother us it's a bit darker..

The separated den is WONDERFUL. And probably the thing that MOST drew us to the Oakmont. In our Jayco, the floor plan was so much more open, that when our littlest one was watching tv in the living room, we all had to be "aware" of the noise levels to we weren't blaring each other out. With the Oakmont there's more separation between the Den and the Bedroom and we all love it!

We're not full timers -- but, we try to get out most weekends... so, we'll head out this weekend again and see what else we learn!

By the way --- I LOVE the offside door! It is SO nice to have two doors and get that cross breeze flowing through!

Jill and Steve
Indiana

jbeletti

Jill and Steve,

Thank you for your feedback on the Oakmont. Now that you are owners, I have moved your post out of the Prospective Owners forum and into the Design Ideas forum. While the factory may not respond to comments here, they will get a copy of your Design Ideas posts as it is important for us to know what you really like in your unit and where you feel we can improve. We feel Heartland is a bit unique in this area where we "really do" listen to owners and prospective owners.

Happy camping and keep the feedback coming.

Jim

steves

Oakmont Design ideas

Thanks Jim for moving our post --- we're still trying to learn about the Forum --- so any help we can get would be appreciated!

A few more thoughts as we're getting more comfortable and spending more time in the Oakmont:

1) The tv in the bedroom is very difficult and almost impossible to install additional av cables for such items as dvd player, satellite reciever, etc... without haveing to compeltely remove the tv and mounting. We installed a dvd player and a satellite reciever, but, had to competley remove the tv, the tv mounting, drill a whole in the cabinet and reinstall the tv / mounting... this could be made much easier by the factory. (We also had to put a manual switcher in becuase the Jensen TV installed only has one component input.)

2) It would be really nice, to have the ability to turn off the stereo speaker in the den and have hte ones in the bedroom on. We really like haveing the speakers from the iLive in the bedroom --- but, sometimes we like to listen to music in the bedroom while our little one is watching tv in the den. We know you can turn OFF the speakers in the bedroom -- but, it would be a nice option to be able to turn them off in the Den.

3) We find the kitchen light switches located in the control panel cabinet a little inconvenient to use. It would have been nicer to have the kitchen light switches actually located "on the walls" in the kitchen. I (Jill) have a tough time finding the kitchen lights when I come in when it's dark. Steve doesn't have as tough a time as I do --- maybe it's a guy thing -- but, it seems awkward!

4) Above the sink, there's a wood shelved inset --- that would be really nice and useful if there were a wood strip across those two shelves (or insets) -- in this way, those shelves could be used for things likes spices or small items and they wouldn't by chance fall into the sink. (We will make this modification.) The other thing you could do in this area, is add some small "hooks" for things like key holders, etc.....

5) We've noticed that on the front lifting jacks of the camper, that the jacks do not come down and retract evenly (one comes down first and then the other one starts down when the first is 4 or 5" down --- ) Is this a feature or a flaw? We're not sure and don't know if this is something we need to tell our dealer about or not?

Overall --- we're really enjoying the Oakmont ... the design of the Den being seperated from the Kitchen and Bedroom is really key for us... and we LIKE having the offiside door as well.

We like the fact that we can post our comments here for the factory to get ideas ... and we'll keep doing so as we learn more about our rig.

Thanks Jim --- and Heartland! We really like the fact Jim that you are out here watching the forums, posts, and responding to people ---- Makes us feel good about your interest in your product and your customer satisfaction.

Jill and Steve
Bloomington, Indiana

jbeletti

Hi Steve and Jill,

Thanks again for even more feedback on the Oakmont. I will be sure that Corporate sees this. I also want to speak to some of this myself. See my comments inline below. Some of them are questions where I am seeking your feedback. Thanks!

Jim

Thanks Jim for moving our post --- we're still trying to learn about the Forum --- so any help we can get would be appreciated!

A few more thoughts as we're getting more comfortable and spending more time in the Oakmont:

1) The tv in the bedroom is very difficult and almost impossible to install additional av cables for such items as dvd player, satellite reciever, etc... without haveing to compeltely remove the tv and mounting. We installed a dvd player and a satellite reciever, but, had to competley remove the tv, the tv mounting, drill a whole in the cabinet and reinstall the tv / mounting... this could be made much easier by the factory. (We also had to put a manual switcher in becuase the Jensen TV installed only has one component input.)

JB: With regard to the way we mount the TV, how would you suggest we improve this? Bear in mind that removal of the set to connect your devices is hopefully a one-time occurrence. I like the idea of a hole with a grommet installed from the factory. Do you feel that where you placed your equipment and therefore your hole is where most people would do the same?

2) It would be really nice, to have the ability to turn off the stereo speaker in the den and have hte ones in the bedroom on. We really like haveing the speakers from the iLive in the bedroom --- but, sometimes we like to listen to music in the bedroom while our little one is watching tv in the den. We know you can turn OFF the speakers in the bedroom -- but, it would be a nice option to be able to turn them off in the Den.

JB: Great idea! As for how you can do this, consider installing a speaker switch box in the cabinet with the receiver. They are fairly inexpensive as well ($40 at Radio Shack).

3) We find the kitchen light switches located in the control panel cabinet a little inconvenient to use. It would have been nicer to have the kitchen light switches actually located "on the walls" in the kitchen. I (Jill) have a tough time finding the kitchen lights when I come in when it's dark. Steve doesn't have as tough a time as I do --- maybe it's a guy thing -- but, it seems awkward!

JB: Good point and a subject of RVers - even here on this forum. Some like all the switches behind the door in one place, others like them dispersed a bit. My guess is that our decision is a balance between the clean look of all controls in one place and cost effecvtiveness. That said, for your situation, a competent RV technician should be able to relocate or add switches for you on interior walls fairly easily.

4) Above the sink, there's a wood shelved inset --- that would be really nice and useful if there were a wood strip across those two shelves (or insets) -- in this way, those shelves could be used for things likes spices or small items and they wouldn't by chance fall into the sink. (We will make this modification.) The other thing you could do in this area, is add some small "hooks" for things like key holders, etc.....

JB: I agree on this and will ask the factory to consider modifying this shelf so that it is more useful.

5) We've noticed that on the front lifting jacks of the camper, that the jacks do not come down and retract evenly (one comes down first and then the other one starts down when the first is 4 or 5" down --- ) Is this a feature or a flaw? We're not sure and don't know if this is something we need to tell our dealer about or not?

JB: This is normal. One drops down, then the other. Once they are both on the ground, they lift together at the same rate.

Overall --- we're really enjoying the Oakmont ... the design of the Den being seperated from the Kitchen and Bedroom is really key for us... and we LIKE having the offiside door as well.

JB: Glad you like the door. Have heard this before as well. I thought it was odd at first. Good thing I am not a floor plan designer :)

We like the fact that we can post our comments here for the factory to get ideas ... and we'll keep doing so as we learn more about our rig.

Thanks Jim --- and Heartland! We really like the fact Jim that you are out here watching the forums, posts, and responding to people ---- Makes us feel good about your interest in your product and your customer satisfaction.

Jill and Steve
Bloomington, Indiana

steves

Jim;

Thanks.... and we're thrilled to give feedback!

1) TV in the bedroom: Not meaning to compare -- but, the Jayco Designer did this REALLY nicely. I think one of the best designs would be to make that center spot a cabinet door that can open. You can open the cabinet door and the TV is actually mounted with brackets into the door of the cabinet. Then, behind the door that opens, you can install the various devices. That leaves the tv completley accessable and the equipmeent can be easily installed right behind the tv in the same cabinet. This design also leaves the existing cabinet space usable --- where as with our current design, we lost the cabinet to the right.

A second option would be to to standardize by isntalling a 4 input switch box and run the output of that to the cabinet. This option would probalby be in the cabinet to the right. We picked up a 4 input switch box at Walmart which now allows us to run everything through one input cable.

Altnernativly, yes, the hole with the grommet to the right hand cabinet is probalby what most people would use... and even though we HOPE that removing the tv was a one time deal -- it honestly was a pain in the butt becuase of the way you have mounted the tv to the piece of wood.

2) Speaker control in reciever cabinet --- Thank -- this was the alternative we were also looking at. Good to know we're thinking on the same lines.

3) Kitchen Lights -- thanks for the suggestion --- we probalby won't have lights relocated --- it was just a bit of personal feedback. And yes, I can see how this is certainly personal choice.

4) Kitchen Shelves! Thanks!

5) Lifting Jacks -- thanks again for the feedback -- this is good to know. We just hadn't seen it before and wanted to be sure!

Jim --- we're happy to provide our thoughts and feedback any time --- do not hesitate to ask! I'm glad we can help and hope that this info can be used!!

One other question --- Steve emailed service about the location of the co-ax cable for the satellite dish located in the ceiling. They sent him diagrams for the Big Horn and other models but not the Oakmont. The diagrams indicate the co-ax is located opposite of the TV antennea with access to them through the bedroom speaker. However, in the Oakmont the speakers are on the same side as the antennae. Thus, does Heartland have any documentation which they provide to the dealers for installation of roof mounted satellites. We are looking at either the Trav-ler (Wingard) or the crank up (Wingard) -- big price difference between the two. Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful. We enjoy the Hi-Def -- but, not sure we can stomach the $1800 price difference to justify it!

Enjoying camping this weekend --- warm and cozy in our Oakmont!! And our youngest enjoys the fireplace in the den while he watches Nickelodeon on the tv!!!

Jill and Steve