New to us TT, but found a crack!

Howdy! New to the forum and new TT owners here. My wife and I just bought a 2017 Heartland Mallard M32. It is clean, was stored under a roof, and the previous owner said they used it about 5 times before buying their new motor home. We looked it over, but didn't spot this crack until we were washing it at the house. (see attachment)

It appears to be about a half inch crack in the rear, near the lights. Almost as if it was backed into something.

Any recommendations on fixing this? I'm hoping there is a reasonable fix that I could do myself. Let us know what you think!

open

https://drive.google.com/open?id=14RkCIwJb-99yqXVJDYAz-8ZK29_d_qjT

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DT3BB4mMKD1iY53PFs-spintFvdMYMk9

danemayer

Hi thecarmichaels,

Congratulations on the new-to-you Mallard and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

I'm sure some of our other owners will have advice on the best way to repair the damage.

wdk450

Howdy! New to the forum and new TT owners here. My wife and I just bought a 2017 Heartland Mallard M32. It is clean, was stored under a roof, and the previous owner said they used it about 5 times before buying their new motor home. We looked it over, but didn't spot this crack until we were washing it at the house. (see attachment)

It appears to be about a half inch crack in the rear, near the lights. Almost as if it was backed into something.

Any recommendations on fixing this? I'm hoping there is a reasonable fix that I could do myself. Let us know what you think!

open

https://drive.google.com/open?id=14RkCIwJb-99yqXVJDYAz-8ZK29_d_qjT

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DT3BB4mMKD1iY53PFs-spintFvdMYMk9

You can find so many video answers to so many problems on You Tube. Just put "repairing RV fiberglass crack" in the search bar.

NP_Chief

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the Mallard. The crack doesn't appear to be too deep (hard to tell from the pics how deep it is). It's a dirty job, but you can get a fiberglass repair kit from most hardware and auto parts stores. Once the fiberglass is repaired, you can call Heartland with your vin and get the paint code for your rig. Personally, I despise working with fiberglass and would take it to a trustworthy auto body repair shop. What part of Georgia are you in?

jerryjay11

Before doing the patch I would find the ends of the cracks and drill maybe a 1/4" hole at each end of the crack to prevent the crack from growing. Be sure that hole cuts into the each end of the crack. Then do the fiberglass patching, and painting. You could probably pick up a fiberglass repair kit in Walmart.

Lou_and_Bette

I agree with that assumption. IMHO, something struck that area. While I don’t have any experience with cracks in my unit, from those who have had problems with cracks and posted them on this forum, structural cracks seem to originate from a joint or opening in the RV. This looks dented and punctured and about the size of a 2 x 4 on end in a area without a joint or opening. Good luck on the repair which should be fairly easy for someone familiar with working with fiberglass.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the Mallard. The crack doesn't appear to be too deep (hard to tell from the pics how deep it is). It's a dirty job, but you can get a fiberglass repair kit from most hardware and auto parts stores. Once the fiberglass is repaired, you can call Heartland with your vin and get the paint code for your rig. Personally, I despise working with fiberglass and would take it to a trustworthy auto body repair shop. What part of Georgia are you in?

Thank you! We're in Canton, GA...

Thanks for all the feedback! We're going to tape off the area, use some marine-tex to patch the crack, sand carefully, and cover with a matching paint. Fingers crossed :)

mlpeloquin

If it isn't perfect, you can always cover it with a vinyl sticker. Flag, peeping frog, Explore Wanderlust, etc. Do as search on Amazon. Even a Good Sam sticker.

NP_Chief

Let us know how it turns out. Also, the Georgia Rally is in Buford if you're looking for somewhere to camp in October.