insulating front cap and generator compartment

Luckyhat12

Have any of you insulated the front cap and generator compartment? I spent some time trying to figure out why my bed was cold a while back and when I took the time to disassemble the bed I saw daylight coming through a crack under the bed. I sprayed spray foam out of it and I was looking today and saw where the foam went all the way through into the generator compartment so I found out where the root problem of my bed was.

Next thing I wanted to do was put some rigid foam insuation on the roof of the main storage area where the genny is. Not inthe genny enclosure, but above it where the light is attached. Has anyone done that? I am insulating the rest of the under belly better and I don't know how to get up in the front cap to put some extra up in there behind the kingpin.

Anyone done this and is it worth undertaking? I thought about just spraying spray foam up toward the front with a can so that I can stop airflow from swirling up in there keeping the bedroom cold.

Thanks,
Chris

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I did...but, not in my Heartland...I did it in my old Airstream...man, talk about a pneumonia hole! It was a wind tunnel in the winter.

I used construction adhedsive (sp) to attach it where I wanted it to go. But, you need to decided exactly where you want it...cause once it's glued....it's there for the long haul.

You might want to check into some soundproofing material at Lowes or home depot. There's bound to be a better solution than mine...and I'll bet there is some here that knows about it.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
I have insulated my cargo hold, but not under the forward gen hold. I went to Home Depot and bought the pink foam and a tube of construction adhesive. The job took about 2 hours. Next is to sheet it in with some 1/4 inch door skin.

dbarnard

I first saw it done last spring in "ziggy's" (on this board) 5th wheel. Her husband Mark did it and said it really helped. He used rigid, cut into strips and put it between the aluminum joists in the storage bay. I bought a sheet of rigid last week and will install this week. I didn't think about the generator compartment tho. I'll look at that today to see what can be done there. I looked at an 09 and heartland remedied the problem.

Luckyhat12

I have an 09 and maybe I am missing something. I will probably put some rigid foam in there anyway. I am looking for Ziggy's solution so maybe I can get some pointers.

Thanks

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Mark did pretty much what Dale said. He glued it in place between he joists... Cheap and didn't take very long. He didn't do anything in the gen compartment and we have an Onan 5500 in there so I don't know what could be done safely. He has no idea how you might get above the gen compartment to insulate the floor. If you figure it out let us know, and we might try it to.

Kristy

PUG

Pug
access to gen compartment

Remove the black board wall inside the basement to access the gen compartment. I removed the board to access the lifting motor.

Luckyhat12

how to you gain access to the area under the front overhang? you know... under the closet and just behind the kingpin. and actually over the kingpin too.